Splitting runs as mileage picks up?

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
I have a 6 month old and while I have been able to get out for runs much more often (running 4-6 times a week right now) length of the run is my current issue because my weekly mileage is building back up.

What is the general consensus/wisdom on splitting up runs or running twice a day? I would like to get 15 in M-F and then a long run in on the weekend. I am not going to split my long runs - those are a one shot deal and we plan things as best as possible to make that work. It works because my husband is home.

But the rest of the week I'd like to do 5-6 miles a few times - but I can't get that block of time during the week due to childcare obligations - I have my 6 month and a 5 year old whose school schedule I have to contend with too. I have two options - run 2 shorter runs in a 1 day period or short my mileage during the week so my long run ends up a higher percentage of my MPW. Would two 3 milers in a day be as good as a 6 miler? Or alternatively should I just go with what I can do and let my long run be a higher % of my weekly runs?

(I know people are going to suggest a jogging stroller. That is planned and will make this a non issue, but for the next month I'm trying to decide how to plan my weeks.)

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Judging by what comes across my feed every day, I think a lot of high-mileage runners do that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Once I pick up my mileage this summer, I'm running at 5am and 11am. I don't feel like running when I'm home - I like to sit, eat, and do nothing. I think the goal is to keep them close together (4-6hrs) but hey, a run is a run.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When my midweek runs get up to the 7 to 8 mile range, I will likely split them into 4 - 5 miles early before work and 3 miles during lunch.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about it too... I'll have to do some 10-14 miles run mid-week this summer and I have to figure out if I can split them. I'm sure it's better to do them one shot though....

I'm curious about the answer you will get from the high mileage folks here.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was watching a youtube lecture by Michael Arnstein, ultrarunner and fruitarian, and he recommends running twice a day to get the miles in (his example was 2 x 15 miles to and from work), and even 3 times a day on long run days (his example was 3 x 20 miles for long run days).
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep, totally fine to split up some of your midweek runs. In my case I have two "quality" workouts a week -- a long run and a speed / tempo session. The long run is best kept intact, and the speed session should also usually be kept intact. But otherwise, I just fill in miles as needed to get to my weekly mileage goal. For example, nearly every Thursday I run 6 in the morning and 6 at night because that's our group's weekly beer run and everyone wants to be finished with the run as quickly as possible to get to the beer.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, this was a really reassuring thread. My gut said this was the case but I wanted to make sure I was being smart and not trying to reinvent the wheel when it came to running. This will make life easier, I can go for a run before my husband leaves for work and sneak more miles in while Miles naps. (Yes, my son's name is Miles. No, it's not because I run. Haha.)

And yes, I don't want to split my long run. While it might still be useful I feel like part of the value of the long run for me is being out there for a long time in one go...breaking it up halves the value to me. I have no experience or qualifications to back that up with, just gut instinct! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's absolutely okay to do this. During marathon training, I'll double up to 3 times per week to get my mileage up. A recent study highlighted in running times determined that the best time to run the double is 4 to 6 hours after the first run.

Two 3 miles runs probably equals a single 5 to 5.5 mile run. There is the warm up period where you really aren't gaining any fitness.

The long run should never be broken up as you are looking for the adaptations that occur after 90 minutes of running.

During marathon training, there is a mid-week, mid-long run that is usually in the 12 to 14 mile range. One should avoid breaking this up if possible, but if you have to it's not the end of the world. I'd rather see it as a 10 and a 4 than two 7's though.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Though with breaking up the long run..... Some breaking up is not as bad as others. If you're running 18 in the AM, coming home at 9:30 AM, and then topping it off with another two at 7PM, I'm thinking it's not worth the other 2.

When field hockey season starts, I'll often get in about 14 miles before the kids wake up. Field Hockey is at 10:00. I'll come home by 9:00 and then spend the next hour getting them ready for field hockey. At 10:15, I'm on the track at the stadium and am able to put in 8 or 9 miles during their practice. I have a hard time feeling like I broke it up enough to make much of a difference.