Running in the Rain

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
Do you love it or do you hate it?

I own it like a boss but that's just me.

I ran in 40 degree (and dropping) rain today and was grinning like a fool. It's ok to hate on me, I don't mind. It's also ok to think I'm nuts, that's great too.

I just enjoy the rain.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I will and have run in the rain. just have to be extra careful not to slip and fall. but yeah, rain has never stopped me from running.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Don't love it, don't hate it. It's just weather. I mind it less when it's warm out.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have always enjoyed it (but I live in Seattle so I definitely can't avoid it! :) There has only been one time that I have cursed the rain in a big way: during the Portland Marathon a few years back, it POURED buckets during every single step of the 26.2. It was a hopeless puddle-dodge and my shoes and socks were soaked through after the first mile. That was rough.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Love it. Always have.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot and wear tri gear in it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    in england we don't just get rain ( even though it rains every single day).

our rain always comes with gale force winds. it's annoying as hell, but part of training as a long distance runner is to be come mentally tough, and gnarly weather can only make you stronger.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I started running 8'years ago, we lived in Washington. So you sucked it up and ran in the rain.

Now when I run in it, I think about those days when I was just starting and every day was a new PR. It makes me happy.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Don't love it, don't hate it. It's just weather. I mind it less when it's warm out.

^^^ part of life. It doesn't stop me from running.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if it starts raining while I am doing a training run and I have to finish the run that way, but if it's a stormy day and I have to go out into the rain, I don't like it. I will often wait a few hours (or until the next day) and hope the weather lets up. I live in the Seattle area where it seems that 30% chance of rain means that it rains 3 out of 10 every minutes, so I do start a lot of "dry" runs come back damp fairly often.

On the other hand, if it's race day, I could care less about the rain and often consider it as a challenge. I've got a 10K trail run this weekend and it's supposed to rain like crazy. I'm taking my 11 and 14 year olds with me for their first trail run and look forward to finishing with mud caked to our knees.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Love it, especially if it's warm out.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I generally run in the rain if its on my schedule. I cut a run short the other day, but I am also recovering from being off the running trail for 10 days because of the flu.

I ran today in the rain (it started as I reached the halfway point in my run, but I forgot my Ziploc bag for my phone). I ran a marathon in February in rain and wind blowing off the ocean. It was 42 °F and I did manage to keep warm throughout the race.

The only time I bail-out is when there is serious thunder and lightning. Last year when I was running at Hilton Head, a storm traveling up the beach spun up a water spout. There wasn't any place for me to go.

A couple of years ago in mid April, I was out and about and on my way home. All of a sudden the skies went from a low grey sky to a dark and wild squall line, with lots of lightning and high winds. My wife came and rescued me after I helped a police officer move a fallen tree out of the road. Turned out that line of storms generated a number of tornadoes to the south and east of us.

I am reminded that we will be running the Rock and Roll Raleigh Marathon in mid-April 3 years after that line of storms came through. Who knows what that day might bring. Maybe a nice spring day, maybe not. But I will run rain or shine.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh running in the rain........:smile: Yeah it has its moments, sheer joy and pure hatred as well as the rest of the moody spectrum lol I love it, its the wind as it hammers rain like bullets in your face that brings me down, but then at the end I'm smiling like a loonbag just because I did it:laugh:
    Whatever the weather it has to be done, but as I'm in the UK its usually raining, so rock it x
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I tend to like it, especially during a race because it cools me off and I can push harder. Some of my best times have been during seriously "awful" weather. I don't even notice, just that I'm cool and everything is "clicking".

That you ABSOLUTELY should run in the rain is on the short list of advice I give to new runners when asked. Run in the rain, and running clothes have the underwear built in.
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    LOVE it!

I always feel like such a bad-*kitten* when I'm out running in the rain.

Once I was out running in the rain, and it was cold, windy and all over nasty out. I was loving it. Then I ran past a big, burly garbage truck driver out collecting trash and told me that I was "so hardcore" - I loved it! :laugh:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, but after 15 miles or so it kind of gets old. I better get used to it though because it's slated to rain for my 50-mile race on Saturday!
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love it when it's warm. Loathe it when it's cool & windy. A summertime drizzle, I'll go out for a run even if I don't have one planned.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

our rain always comes with gale force winds. it's annoying as hell, but part of training as a long distance runner is to be come mentally tough, and gnarly weather can only make you stronger.

I was just going to say, rain in the UK is different! Lol I went out last weekend and it was sunny, then it rained, then it hailed and then it was super windy!!!! Lol if it was warm it wouldn't be so bad I'm sure but rain mixed with cold and wind is just plain miserable in my opinion!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I was just going to say, rain in the UK is different! Lol I went out last weekend and it was sunny, then it rained, then it hailed and then it was super windy!!!! Lol if it was warm it wouldn't be so bad I'm sure but rain mixed with cold and wind is just plain miserable in my opinion!

Haha that's how I feel! The last couple times I got caught in rain while running it was a full out storm (it was sunny and bright when I set out), the rain was coming down so hard I could barely breathe and my eyes were so full of water I couldn't see.

Generally, rain won't stop me going out though I prefer dry. But once I'm out and getting hot, I can get quite excited when a shower comes, refreshing!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love running in the rain as long as it's not a full downpour. Like today's misty morning. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Love it.

Except
    - Cold
    - Lightening