Carlsbad 5000 All Day

Options
DavidMartinez2
DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
I mentioned in another thread I was doing the "All Day" option at Carlsbad 5000. The way the race is set up they have seperate races for 40+ Men, 40+ Women, 30-39 Male, 30-39 Women, Open, and Elite. The Open used to be split up but they had issues with the trains so combined the races. Those running the "All Day" get to run everything but the Elite race.

I would have liked to save a little extra for the 40+ Men race (my AG) but that is the first one of the day. My goal is going to be to try for even splits but I am going to go hard each race, probably something like 80% effort. My goal would be to stay under 19 minutes for each race; under 18 would be phenomenal and over 20 I will be ready to hang myself. With that said this is not a goal race for me, just a cool event I think will be fun. I still have 2 months to get ready for my next goal.

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Under 19 for four races would be amazing!

Smart of you to save something after the first race. I did a similar event a while back (but it was 1, 2, and 3-milers). I went all-out in the mile and just tried to hang on for the other events. It was a long day!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Is that like a 50k? That sounds amazing! Maybe next year I'll do it for the birthday run... and just run an extra 5k for completion.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    No each race is only a 5K. I was hoping we would get to run the elite race, getting my *kitten* handed to me by Lagat would be pretty amazing.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    Actual schedule:

• 7:00 am: Masters Men, 40 & Over
    • 8:05 am: Masters Women, 40 & Over
    • 8:42 am: Men & Women 30-39
    • 9:22 am: Men & Women 29 & Under

The changeover from Race 2 to 3 is going to be fairly miserable
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    hahahaha... I'm sure you could keep up with him for the first minute of the race...
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    17:38/18:28/17:58/18:21

Fun time, but being front row for Legat setting the American record was better.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Wow, way to hit it for all four races. Well done! And awesome to see the record as well.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great times in all of the races--congrats! And also I can only imagine how amazing it must have been to see Legat setting the record. Sounds like an amazing day :)
  • davemunger
    Options
    BTW, I'm curious -- how close was your Garmin to an exact 5K? I know they bill this course as a very fast course, so you'd think they'd be very accurate with the measurement.