Spanx or other torture devices

Hi all! I am a week and 3 days post op. I am an educator and constantly walk around our high school campus. The jiggle of my stomach is really uncomfortable. Any suggestions as to what you used and how soon after surgery you used it?

Replies

• sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    I wore a pair of 'sweet nothings' shapewear by maidenform about 3 1/2 weeks after surgery and was comfortable. If I remember right, I bought them at Walmart. How are your incision sites? I think I'd be cautious about having anything tight or that might rub on them until they are well healed but you will know best.
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    Incisions are healing well. Doc covered them with derma bond so they are sealed and healing. You are right I think I'll give is a few weeks before putting spanx on so I ensure no rubbing.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    First I thought about looking for a wrap (ACE bandage like) that would cover my abdomen and help with 'movement'. Then I thought why not a snug tank top. I found some in my summer clothes that I wore underneath other tops and it works great without causing any discomfort.

Walking around campus gives you an excellent way to get your walking in. That's where I am having some problem. I really dislike walking and always have, unless I'm on vacation or in the summer time. I tried the mall and a couple of other indoor areas, but this doesn't motivate me in any way (maybe because I hate shopping).

I think I will do better in the summer when I can get outside and go for nature walks.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I bought two corset type shapewear pieces at Walmart. The have straps over the shoulder but dip in front, you wear your own bra with them, so it's really only shaping the tummy area (although if I could keep them from rolling up, they are designed to go over the hips as well). Anyway I got them because I have two hernias, one above and one below the waist, and as the weight comes off the hernia above the waist becomes more pronounced and I really hate that bulge sticking out one side of my shirt. Love these, very comfortable, and much better priced at Walmart than the ones on TV. And the price is important because they do become too big. Mine have and it's time to replace. :happy:
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    I have one garment that goes from right under my bra to mid thigh. It feels good to wear it because it smooths out the flabbiness above my belly button, my butt and also inner thighs. I would like to get one that has the straps as mine does like to ride down. I don't wear every day, just to work and if I have somewhere "important" to go. You mentioned tank tops...I have seen tanks made of same supportive stretchy material as the "girdles" that would really help smooth that upper abdomen area. You say you're not a shopper but it really helps to shop around with these because they can be quite pricey and hopefully you will find it becoming too big before too long :). Good luck!
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    All great ideas! Thank you for your feedback I think I'll start off with a snug tank and move up in the world of support undergarments. Yes I am blessed to work in such a large school that walking is a must. Summer will be my challenge because walking in our 100 degree weather is not my favorite.
  • pbit
    pbit Posts: 10 Member
    Tanks are great! I like Yummie Tummie by Heather Thompson - get on HSN. OR at Kohl's they have a very similar Jockey Brand endorsed by Rachel Zoe - it is a normal tank with a slightly tighter panel just around the belly. You wear your normal bra with them. They are very comfortable and come in misses & plus sizes. I actually size up so it is not too tight. Being too tight is not good for your internal organs.