Yoga Teacher Training

Options
tavenne323
tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
I am looking at starting my yoga teacher training certification, but am not sure which direction to go. The studio I go to isn't my favorite so I know I don't want to go through them. I want to do something that's a little more dynamic, with balancing and inversions, and strong poses and core. (aka, not so "stretchy") I've looked at YogaFit and CorePower Yoga, but am wondering what else is out there. And what other people have done or looked into doing.

Replies

• legalporter
    legalporter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend going through the Yoga Alliance programs. You will find a directory on their site with links to registered yoga schools in your area and you can research each one. Every school is going to have a unique philosophy. I have been yoga alliance registered (RYT 200) for about a year and the my YTT training was with someone who specialized in Kundalini yoga. Yoga is so much more than just a workout - it's a complete mind-body connection, and programs that just focus on the physical aspect are lacking depth (in my opinion). I now own a studio and people want to make sure that my training was NOT yoga fit or from a fitness studio. They want 'real' yoga - that has been my experience. Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear - there isn't certification of yoga on the national level, except through some schools (types): Ashtanga, Iyengar, I know for sure, maybe Kundalini - these programs are much more intense, and require years of study. This may sound like semantics, but there's no test to get YA registration.

It's a "registered" yoga teacher through Yoga Alliance. Which you should go for if you want to teach anywhere but the studio you train at. Most gyms will recognize "Yoga Fit", but most yoga studios prefer the YA registration. CorePower yoga is fairly corporate. If that's what you like, go for it - but again, if you wanted to teach anywhere but corepower, you may have difficulty. The YA registration is the most accepted of any type of training.

If you want to just work on harder poses, go to harder classes and workshops. Most teacher training programs teach fairly basic poses at the 200 hour level - although some inversions are included. I think even if you do not want to teach, a teacher training program will give depth to your yoga practice.

I'm just finishing up my 500 hour YA training. I'm working on my Iyengar Yoga certification, which won't be completed until at least next year.

I hope all this helps - feel free to message me anytime if anything is confusing. Also you may want to post this on the other yoga group and see what others say:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    YogaFit is recognized by YA...which is why I have been leaning more towards that. I do love the mental aspect of yoga, but I also want to use it, and share it, as a form of exercise. It has helped me so much in other "activities" in my life, like running, paddleboarding, biking, that I want to show others how it can benefit them too.

I've taken a couple kundalini classes because I have a friend who loves it. It's just not for me. I did one iyengar class, not sure if it was the teacher or the style, but I left very unsatisfied.