Upcoming 5Ks

Options
This topic seems to make sense, so I'll go first!

My next 5K race is the 25th Annual Lou Cox 5K on 25 May.

Things that *might* affect my run are a 1.5mi annual PT test for the Air Force on 16 May (I want to run it in 9:34, 6:22 split(s)) then the Cleveland HM on 18 May. In the interest of the 5K, I'm reserving effort on the HM.

http://www.orrrc.org/index.php/orrrc-events/may/90-annual-lou-cox-5k

COURSE: The Lou Cox Memorial 5K is one of the fastest 5K's in the Midwest! Starting on Edwin C. Moses Blvd. in Dayton, OH, the race heads north to Stewart St. Here, runners will cross over the Great Miami River and then turn south on Patterson Blvd. Runners will run to the turnaround spot and then return to Stewart St. via the paralleling bike path. After crossing back over the river, the runners will run back to Welcome Stadium before running 350 meters on the track to the finish line. The Lou Cox Memorial 5K has a slight elevation loss, as the finish line on the track sits lower than the start line on Edwin C. Moses Blvd. There is no noticeable elevation change until a downhill into the parking lot at 2.5 miles.

The Lou Cox Memorial 5K has a slight elevation loss, as the finish line on the track sits lower than the start line on Edwin C. Moses Blvd. There is no noticeable elevation change until a downhill into the parking lot at 2.5 miles.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is the one I am doing. I am also doing an Olympic triathlon 4 days before and it's an evening race. Both factors could come into play. And it's May. It could be 90 degrees. Regardless of the outcome I think it will be a very fun event. http://www.espritdeshe.com/page/show/680494-run-katy#.UzSBIvldUqo

I know the course like the back of my hand, it's my regular running route.

Also based on last years event I am hoping to have a shot at overall winner. https://results.chronotrack.com//event/results/event/event-2240?lc=en
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Doug!

I'm actually not even signed up for any 5Ks right now but I am thinking about this one on October 5:

http://www.festivalofraces.com/

This is the U.S. National Master's championship. Based on last year's results I wouldn't have a shot at winning my age group but it would be exciting to race with some seriously awesome runners my age.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Here are the two 5Ks I'm looking at this year:

http://racethebar.com/

I'm going to follow a Jack Daniel's 16-week plan in between them to see how much I can improve.

For the last 2 years, this was a 4-race series with overall series awards. I had hoped to place in my age group for the whole series, but they reduced it to 2 races this year. They've been pretty small (my 22:43 put me in 10th overall last May).

My first race in ages was 2 years ago. I did the 8K in May and made my goal of 40 minutes. I did the 10K that September and got third in my AG, but several faster people were disqualified. Last May, I set my PR at the 5K and got 3rd in my AG.

This year, they're adding "beer miles" after the other distances, so I'm thinking about doing them, too!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Mydon't race is the Boston Athletic Association 5k.

http://www.baa.org/races/5k/event-information.aspx

It is part of a series, the BAA Distance Medley (a 5k, 10k and Half Marathon).

So i don't think I'll win....The top woman finished in 15:16 last year and the man finished in 13:37. My goal for this series is generally that the top finisher couldn't run the race twice in the time I ran it once. But I do think I've advanced beyond that as a goal. The tricky part is going to be dealing with the crowds and the tight turns. I ran it in 28:01 last year, so I should do better than that. Shooting for 24:30 and to beat my sister and the church ladies. My sister came in seconds before me in the last two races we ran together, but i did place ahead of her overall in the series last year.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am registered for a six pack series (all 5k's-same course) that are approximately every three weeks from 06/05 to 09/18 that the race company I work for produces. I'm looking to DOMINATE them. After April I will have more time to designate to speed work vs. distance training. I'm seeking bare minimum sub 28:00. (Current PR 28:44) sixpackseries.com
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Coming up in my races for this year is a 5k and 8k series on April 12 and 26. Will be following that up with another 5k on May 10.

Haven`t got any time goals right now, but would like to aim for 33:00 min (currently at 35:00).
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a 5K coming up on Saturday. I am not looking to PR because it has hills and my current and previous PR are on extremely flat courses. However, it would be amazing to break 30 minutes on a course with hills as I have never done that. My best time on a hilly course was around 31 minutes so I'll be looking to go under that if at all possible :)
  • davemunger
    Options
    My return to shorter distances will be at the Lake Norman Rotary 10k in two weeks. It's where I set my "PR", although it was a short course. I'm hoping they will have fixed it this time around. Ideally I'd run a more established race but it's the only weekend I have off in the next month.

My PR in the 10K is a little soft, but I'm also not really in shape for these shorter races, having spent the last three months training for an ultra, so it'll be interesting to see how I do.

Current PR: 39:19 over 6.11 miles; more legit is a 39:48 on a course my Garmin measured as 6.28.

Goal: sub-40

Stretch goal: PR
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have my tri club's annual Friday Night 5k coming up on June 6. The last race on my calendar prior to it is a full month earlier, the Broad Street Run in Philly (10 miler), so that will not interfere. The only potential issues are (a) evening run - though I do a lot of training runs in the evening) and (b) I am trying to balance running with swimming, biking, and lifting for the spring, so I won't get nearly the training in that I should. I still hope to PR - my other official 5k times are really shabby compared to my distance times as well as my unofficial training 5k times.
  • sulyha
    sulyha Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the Alaska Heart Run coming up April 26. It is a 5k with a few hills. Last year I did it in 27:27. I am not sure if I'll be able to beat that time, but I will try.

I also have the Gold Nugget Triathlon coming up. The run portion is 4 miles. Last year the bike killed me and I walked most of the first mile of the run as I tried to recover. I hope to be better prepared for that transition this year and be able to run the entire course.

Good luck to everyone in your races!
  • lorierin22
    Options
    I have a 5K coming up on Saturday. I am not looking to PR because it has hills and my current and previous PR are on extremely flat courses. However, it would be amazing to break 30 minutes on a course with hills as I have never done that. My best time on a hilly course was around 31 minutes so I'll be looking to go under that if at all possible :)

I got a pr! Only by a few seconds but I'll take it! New pr is 28:14 :bigsmile:
  • davemunger
    Options

Wow, that is amazing on a hilly course! Time to sign up for a flat 5k!
  • lorierin22
    Options

Thanks! Signing up for a flat course soon is exactly what I was thinking! Too bad my favorite flat PR course is holding it's 5K the same day as my sister's wedding. I'm the matron of honor so I have to be there that morning to help her get ready (is it bad that I've been running through my head possible ways I can still do the race and make it back in time...if only the locations were closer together...lol!)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    april 13th -- will be facing my second race.

It's called Carol of the 5K and was supposed to be held back in December, however, weather got in the way and so here we are.

It should be fairly small, since it is in my hometown, and the route has not been published, but the starting point is known, so it's sure to be somewhat hilly.

just hoping to do better than my first one. will be a challenge since I have to go out of town on Saturday and should be back home after a long drive about an hour before race time.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Thanks! Signing up for a flat course soon is exactly what I was thinking! Too bad my favorite flat PR course is holding it's 5K the same day as my sister's wedding. I'm the matron of honor so I have to be there that morning to help her get ready (is it bad that I've been running through my head possible ways I can still do the race and make it back in time...if only the locations were closer together...lol!)

You're not a bad person you're a runner ????????????
  • davemunger
    Options

You're not a bad person you're a runner ????????????

I have a friend who ran a 15k on his own wedding day. He still hasn't told his wife!
  • Jmcbryan570
    Jmcbryan570 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group and just another runner getting back into the serious game. Been a runner since I was 14, I'm 32 now.

My next race is a toss up. Being in semi-rural PA the races that are within 30 minutes of my house are far and few. My goal is one race a month through August. Of course there's no websites so

3rd annual chicken run - runs through a local college town and raises money for life's choices. That's an organization that assists families in crisis. Oh and you get a free chicken BBQ dinner if you raise X amount of funds. Chicken costumes are welcomed I assume.(Saturday 4/26). I'm not one for costumed running.

I have obligations both days so might as well do the Saturday.

Both causes I'm all about helping out. My first race of 'one race a month' I wanted to be below 27. I got 25:53, and that's in not great shape. Running once a week for about a month. My old PR's, not relevant, I'm not going to see 7min paces right out of the blocks. I'm getting back into serious running so my goal is to be in the 23's come July.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    Options
    Coming up in my races for this year is a 5k and 8k series on April 12 and 26. Will be following that up with another 5k on May 10.

Haven`t got any time goals right now, but would like to aim for 33:00 min (currently at 35:00).

I haven't run a 5k race since I posted this, but very proud to report that last night I had a 5k time of 33:16.....I have my first real 5k race this Saturday on a flat course (last night's course was hilly) and am confident that I can make my 33:00 goal!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    Options

Congrats, that is fantastic!
  • lorierin22
    Options
    Thank you! And good luck to you on Saturday AlethaMary! :) That's a great goal and it looks well within your reach!