My final meal...

Options
Every Friday I either bring home dinner from various places or we pack up all the kiddies and take them to restraraunt. With my surgery just 10 days away, I decided to take my family out for our last big restraraunt meal. Knowing I will not be able to eat this way again we chose our favorite spot, Texas Roadhouse. I got all my favorites and it was a great time out. The kids behaved and the food was good. However after 5 months of eating healthier foods, I felt so drained and started to crash after eating. We did our normal after eating a big meal we take a walk around Target to help the food through our system. As I'm walking I kept thinking, even though the food tasted great and I love the feeling of being full and satisfied it's not worth the feeling of being drugged and drained. It was my final good bye to the bad food and a great eye opening experience. I am ready for the next phase of my life, healthy living.

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you figured this out already! I had a "food funeral" as well, but now that I'm almost 6 months post op, I realize I have the sweet freedom to eat whatever I like in small quantities. I have a small treat, (a bit of chocolate or something like that) almost every day and never feel deprived or guilty about it! I track every bite on MFP and work it into my plan, (27lbs to go and still losing). I'd felt "drugged and drained" all the time before, (regardless of what I was eating). Now I actually like to exercise and enjoy an active social life. Congratulations on the upcoming start of your new life!
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck on your upcoming surgery! I too had a food funeral, and after being on the post op diet it wasn't worth it to me either.
  • merobles827
    Options
    Well my final meal turned into my final weekend fling just had little bit of all my favorites... well back to my protein shakes. I can't believe its only one more week till my surgery!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I did a farewell to food tour for a week, actually gained three pounds. Didn't slow me down a bit - once I started all went well. On a positive note: teh only foods I really said "good-bye" to are the really bad foods and fast food. The healthy foods came back into my like when I was ready.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I said good bye to my trigger foods. I have never been able to control myself with ice cream and flavored chips. I tried the chips once since surgery and although it took all day, I just couldn't leave them alone until they were gone. So no more of those, but I haven't had ice cream in almost 3 years, not even frozen yogurt, nothing ice cream like. I don't feel even the least little bit deprived either, because I've made these choices, no one is making me. My weight loss is just more important to me than any amount of any food.

Good luck with your surgery! This is a great tool!