Going back to work after sleeve surgery .. any advise?

Options
lizadaze
lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
So tomorrow is a big day for me as I go back to work after being out on medical leave for five weeks. Only a couple of close friends at work know exactly why I was out or what my surgery was, so I'm a bit nervous about how to transition back into work. I have lost 35 pounds in four weeks, but have a lot to,lose, so I don't think anyone would really notice the weight loss yet (I can't see it, but I definitely feel it).

I work in a large office and have great colleagues, but I'm not sure yet that I want everyone to know that I had weight loss surgery.

How did others deal with this dilemma in the workplace? Any advice?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just don't bring it up. But if it comes up I don't lie. But I am very quick to say the reason I have lost a lot of weight is my new low carb lifestyle. Sometimes I get the skeptical look and I say "Anyone can out eat weight loss surgery, it is not magic, my food choices are why I have lost so much weight". You really won't be able to avoid being noticed and the focus of gossip. This is just too interesting for gossips to ignore. I have lost 73 lbs in 4 months- there is just no way that this is not going to draw attention.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was upfront about the whole thing from the beginning. I knew that trying to play coy about the surgery was fruitless. When you weigh 386 pounds, none of the people you work with have ever seen you at a normal weight and you are losing as fast as we do, they are all going to think (a) weight loss surgery, (b) terminally ill. So everyone knew before the surgery and they all have been really supportive and positive. If anyone thought this was a "cheat way to lose weight or the easy way out or even that I won't be able to maintain the loss and regain everything" they've never said it to my face.

I still bring my own food daily and only occasionally go out to eat with any of them. They now expect that when someone brings birthday treats, 99% of the time I'm going to go in and sit with my coffee while they all indulge. They have stopped asking me in advance if there's something special they can bring for me. Because frankly there isn't any low calorie, high protein desert out there! :laugh: But I do get asked what I'm eating if it looks or smells good and I'm sometimes asked for the receipes.

Don't stress about it. If you are a very private person there's nothing wrong with telling them you are losing with the help of your doctor. It's the truth, but not the details. But remember, when we share our journey, and this is why I am so open about it, we give other obese people who see our success the opportunity to ask questions and we may just be able to help someone else become healthy too.
  • lizadaze
    lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm not sure anyone actually notices yet that I'm losing weight but many have said that I look good and are considerate about the fact that I just came back from a medical leave. I tell people that I'm exercising more and just joined a gym to start swimming, so we will see how things progress from here. Down almost 40 lbs in 5 weeks and changing clothing sizes already. I'm sure the next few months will be interesting!

I am feeling more confident and will likely share more later on, but I just don't want to deal with diet police in the workplace or special treatment and good intentions gone bad. LOL.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm really open about having had the surgery. I have been working with these people for 25 years and it just didn't seem right to be hiding such an important part of my life. Also, for me talking about this openly is all part of me learning not to be ashamed of anything about myself. Sometimes I get a little tired of answering the same questions over and over, but I just remember that these are people who care about me and are curious.