30 Days of Biking

Options
Anyone doing this? I think I'm going to give it a try.

http://30daysofbiking.com/pledge

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Nope - can't ride every day - anything past 4 days and the 5th is either junk miles or doing too much damage. Maybe if I went out for a 2-3 mile pootle around or a 5-10 mile commute I could do it, but not 50-100km a day.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    No way could I ride 50-100 k these days. We just had 4-1/4" of snow Saturday, so this is about as early in the year as I can get out. I'm only riding my beater Craigslist mountain bike, because there is *way* too much salt on the roads to ride my good bikes.

I fell off the riding wagon for a few years, put on a bunch of weight, and had a stent put in a couple of months ago. So for me, a few miles here and there is about as good as I can do. I'll eventually add on the miles, so riding a little every day is good motivation, even if it is just 2-3 miles this week, 5-10 next week, etc. I'm retired, so no commuting for me.

Back in the early '90s, I was riding several metric centuries a summer. I hope to get somewhere close to that condition again. I don't race or do timed training. As my profile says, I ride slow... ;)
  • slocyclist
    Options
    From my daily news feed:

Day 1: Ooops! First ride of the year, and I thought the treadmill and elliptical would get me more prepared. My Cardiac Rehab target HR is 120, but I've been able to get away with 125 and a little on occasion. I rode 5.2 miles, and 75% of the ride I was in the 128-144 range. My average HR was 133, and max was 149! I can't do that again. I'll have to go slower or a shorter distance.

Day 2: I didn't realize that either Digifit or MFP combined today's workouts into one event. Today I did aerobic exercises (70 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical) as one workout, 36 minutes on the weight machines as a second, and a quick 13 at home (around the block) on the bicycle for #30daysofriding.

Day 3 of #30daysofbiking. Added excitement of kicking a doberman in the head that came completely across the road at me. Just beat the rain. Cold at 36˚ this AM.

I just got in a quick couple of miles for Day 4 of #30daysofbiking between rain showers.

I'm still hitting 140s for max HR, even on short rides and after warming up. Windy again today, and my road has some hills. Just not used to pedaling yet, apparently!
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Day 5 of #30daysofbiking complete. A beautiful sunny day, but it was only 42˚ so somewhat brisk! Since the rain washed away some of the salt, I broke out the RB-T touring bike today.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Day 6 of #30daysobiking complete. Sunny and 46˚, but a cold north wind off of Lake Erie made it surprisingly chilly!

Completed day 7 of #30daysofbiiking Just a few miles in light rain after 116 minutes of cardiac rehab. Whew! I’m pooped!
  • slocyclist
    Options
    That's Day 8 of #30daysofbiking complete.

Coupla miles biking for day 9 of #30daysofbiking.

I went out for a VERY short ride today for Day 10 of #30daysofbiking Wind gusts were up to 42 MPH with an average wind speed of 25 MPH.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Completed Day 11 of #30daysofbiking with a nice ride around town on a beautiful spring day.

Day 12 of #30daysofriding complete. It was a beautiful day in Avon with a high of 73˚ and light winds.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Awesome day for Day 13 of #30daysofbiking We had a high in Avon of 78˚, the warmest day in about six months. Wind gusts to 34 MPH earlier.

Another short ride for Day 14 of #30daysofbiking Winds averaged 12 MPH with gusts to 43 MPH. Temp is down 18˚ from this time yesterday, and will be even lower tomorrow.

A short ride for day 15 of #30daysofbiking We had 1-1/2" of snow this morning, and riding in 29˚ weather. It was 78˚ 48 hours ago!

Rode on day 16, but didn't post.

A nice early evening ride for Day 17 of #30daysofriding Waited for the wind to drop a bit, as we had gusts up to 24 MPH most of the day.

Rode on day 18, but didn't post.

Just got back from Day 19 of #30daysofbiking, and was wrapped up like it was January! Sunny, but chilly and windy.

Beautiful weather for Day 20 of #30daysofbiking It was 73˚ this afternoon with light wind.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL weather for Day 21 of #30daysofriding today! Of course it is going to be 30˚ cooler by Wednesday…
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are challenges like this on Strava all the time.

I did the Castelli's Battaglia in Montagna challenge last year where I rode 1,022k (635 miles) in 14 days.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    There are challenges like this on Strava all the time.

I did the Castelli's Battaglia in Montagna challenge last year where I rode 1,022k (635 miles) in 14 days.

But this is 30 consecutive days - the challenge isn't to ride lots of miles, it's to ride at least a little bit every day.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    After a beautiful 75˚ day yesterday, Day 22 of #30daysofbiking was ridden in temps in the 40˚s and windy. Happy Earth Day!

Another chilly but pretty evening for day 23 of #30daysofbiking

Day 24 of #30daysofbiking complete. Short ride in 47˚ temperature and 16 MPH wind.

Day 25 of #30daysofbiking complete. Another cold, windy, wet day. Spring’s warm days *have* to arrive soon!

Rode on Day 26, but didn't post.

Another cold windy ride for Day 27 of #30daysofbiking Windy and chilly, again!

We're still getting daytime temps only in the 40˚s, and the wind has been averaging 10-12 MPH all week. Tonight's ride was into gusts of 20 MPH. I'm ready for the real spring!
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    Day 28 of #30daysofbiking caught me in a brief rain shower. On the bright side, it was one of the few days this month that it was’t windy!

Day 29 of #30daysofbiking complete. Hauling the Trek 970 frame with my Xtracycle sport utility bike! Taking advantage of the nice afternoon between this morning's rain and this evening's expected storms.

DSC_0002-M.jpg

Last ride of #30daysofbiking pledge complete. I rode every day this month! April temperature max/min = 78˚/23˚. We had 2-1/2” of snow one day, .85” of rain another. All of it fun!

I'm down six more pounds since the beginning of April, and my stamina is a bit better for barely having ridden for five years. I'm still getting way over my cardiac rehab's recommended target heart rate on hills and into the wind, and I didn't ride very far compared to many riders. But I feel great, and am ready to continue improving and taking longer rides!

Now on to the League of American Bicyclists' National Bike Challenge for the next five months. https://nationalbikechallenge.org I won't be posting a log of those rides here and bore y'all, though. ;)

Thanks for following along,
    Slo
  • slocyclist
    Options
    I’m bummed… Today would have been 42 consecutive days of #30daysofbiking But severe weather kept me from riding. I’ve gotta start all over.

I should have gone out earlier when it wasn't raining. I put it off because the roads were pretty wet, and school had just got out, which makes our road extremely busy with kids texting.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    (Too late to edit the above post)

OK, I’m nuts. I just went out after 11 PM for 2 miles after the Tornado Warning expired to complete Day 42 in a row of #30daysifbiking!
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I admire your dedication.

The only thing to beware of is when you make a choice to continue a "streak" when reasons of health (like being overtired) or safety (wet roads, tornados!) would say you should take a day off.

It doesn't sound like it was too risky going out for 2 miles at 11 PM so I'm sure it's all good. But I had a friend get too attached to a goal of running a marathon a month, and she hurt herself and ended up taking a lot of time off. So that is an example of what I am talking about...her streak became more important than listening to her body.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket here....:wink: I know you are trying to get in the habit of cycling and this seems a great way to do it.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Thanks Kerry, and I very much appreciate the words of warning. I had already decided that my streak was going to end. But I do some amateur weather watching as a hobby, and was outside checking the rain gauge for the local NWS office. It had calmed down and was actually pretty pleasant out (down from a high of 88˚.) That's when I decided "what the H, I'll give it a go."

It was actually pretty interesting, as there was quite a bit of flooding last night that I got to see that was gone by this morning. (we are on an ancient glacial beach and have very sandy soil.) And since it had been so bad earlier, there was only one car on our semi-rural road during my ride and I have head and taillights. It was a very enjoyable ride.

I've pushed myself during other injuries in the past and regretted it, so I'm paying close attention to the guidelines of my cardiologist.

Thanks!
    Slo
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Finished a wonderful ride for Day 50 in row of #30daysofriding
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Crap! After 79 straight days of riding my bicycle for #30daysofbiking beginning April 1, I missed yesterday! We had a big storm come through with 1.6" of rain and 60 MPH winds, which left quite a mess behind. We were picking up branches, and putting things back where they belong, then eating, and I forgot all about riding! Ugggg...