Self Magazine Shames Tutu Wearing Runner/Cancer Survivor

essjay76
essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
Before you judge or make fun of that tutu-wearing runner:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/self-magazine-cancer-survivor_n_5043271.html

I've never been one to wear a tutu or costume for a race, mainly because I just suck at running in anything other than my running clothes. :-) But, just because someone wears one, it doesn't make them less of a runner than anyone else. SELF magazine made some pretty mean comments about the tutu running female featured in this article.

I followed this girl's blog for a while. She's not a bad runner at all and was diagnosed with brain cancer a few years ago. Had SELF magazine done their homework, they would've known her history and that proceeds of sales of these tutus went to a good cause.

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    I saw this and it was horrible, I think heads should roll at SELF magazine.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    I saw this.... and I think they shouldn't have done that to anybody. That's probably why I don't read or know about the magazine... not worth my time to read their garbage.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    they have since sent an apology to her.

btw, I know one of the girls that made her tutu.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    As my friend Charlene pointed out the "Die Tumor Die" pesonalization on her race bib might have been a clue if they bothered to look at the picture.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    I thought what they did was pretty cruel and dumb. I'm glad she got an apology.

Clearly I've worn a tutu for a race before (picture's a bit of a giveaway)... it was a charity and team thing, soooo much easier to be seen by our supporters and each other. They're also a lot less burdening to run in than most costumes. Most people running in costumes or tutus are doing it for charity so I don't get why people have to 'diss' it as a fashion choice.

Either way, the magazine certainly let themselves down.
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Just terrible
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    As my friend Charlene pointed out the "Die Tumor Die" pesonalization on her race bib might have been a clue if they bothered to look at the picture.

exactly!

this major boo-boo did help their sales though and they have raised lots of money. So it did end well for them... but if self would have done their homework or any research at all they could have avoid this. They could have done an awesome story about her and how she is fighting cancer and raising money.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Boo to Self magazine for doing that. Isn't this magazine supposed to make women feel good about themselves?!!! Tutus, capes, bodysuits, crazy socks....they all make the events so much fun. The dis to Monika Allen is horrible. I also wonder how many of their other readers they insulted as well.

Hooray to Glam Runner for making running fun and for supporting Girls on the Run!! GOTR helps elementary school girls train to run their first 5K and helps with self esteem. I've been a run buddy with GOTR for the past two years and the smiles on my girls' faces when they crossed the finish line was unforgettable. It's an awesome program.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    The ladies on the Women's Running Club on facebook have been all running randomly all over the U.S. and tagging photos of themselves wearing their tutus and then posting (tagging) Self Magazine and the lady they dissed. Basically, trying to blow up both facebook pages and send more business to the Tutu's page.

It's been awesome to see the pictures roll in.

I don't have a tutu, but, I run with little pig tails to keep my hair out of my face, I wonder if they want to make fun of ladies who do that next?
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Our daughter runs with Girls on the Run and they are all about beautiful, colorful tutus, boosting kids' self-esteem, and rising to the occasion. This is self-evident: #tutusrock!
    And cancer survivors are heroic! how can anyone deny this???
    Self should permanently rename itself SELFLESS to make up for it. Permanently!
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Bah, that's disgusting! And cancer or no, I think a magazine targeted at women is lame for labeling women's fitness fashion choices as "lame". And how did they decide on using their picture? It looks like two strong women doing something amazing and smiling and enjoying themselves. Yeah, friggin lame-o's!!
    Blegh, this just reaffirms that I need to stay the eff away from these crappy debasing magazines :grumble: