Weekends/holidays with the kids

Options
I've found that during the school term, once the routine is set, it's relatively easy to get into the habit of preparing healthy meals and making time for myself. With the weekends/holidays, it gets a bit trickier.

Yesterday, I started the day at gym. (I knew if I didn't start like that, it could get messy). Then took the kids out; and by lunch-time, I completely forgot about myself. I took a RTD (Ready to Drink) protein shake as an after-gym snack. But completely forgot about a special lunch for me, thinking I'll just grab "something" on the road. That "something" turned out to be McDonald's.

So ladies, how do you stay on track when out and about with the kids? What are your healthy fast food alternatives?

Replies

• lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have tried salads at Chick-fil-a and even McDonalds, but when I log the salad, a drink and a drink refill, I find out that sometimes I would of done better eating a combo for the calories. I would love to know what works for others.
  • RandaRae16
    RandaRae16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We usually try to skip eating out on the weekends all together but yes - there are times when Wendy's or McD's is easier than eating at home. I prefer Wendy's since they have awesome and filling salads but do love a big old cheeseburger! Since we have 2 babes (10 months) and a 4 year old; we try to find somewhere that everyone can eat something.

On the weekends, we try to fill up before leaving the house and bring snacks for the kids if they need them. We went out for pizza as a planned meal out last weekend and it was awesome. My hubby & I split a huge buffalo chicken salad and a small pizza (brought 1/2 home too). Our twins ate some garlic cheese bread & our daughter had her kids pizza.

It's all based on the situation: if we go out and splurge on food on Saturday, we don't eat out on Sunday. If we hit McDonalds, we get a 20 piece nugget box & 2 fries to share with everyone. Fast-food places are trying to add healthy options into kids meals with apple slices & milk which I love so I need to also make good choices when I have an audience.