Disney Aquires Badwater 135

Options
So I know this might be old news to some of you, but I just saw the article, and I think I might have to put the "Big Bad Water Challenge" on my to-do list now:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/disney-acquires-badwater-135?page=single#.UzrSlGOU-Fg.facebook:

goody-badwater_500x310.jpg

" In a surprise announcement capping off their 21st annual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend on Sunday, officials at runDisney said they have reached a deal to acquire the Badwater 135 endurance race.

"Gawrsh!" said Goofy, a spokesman for runDisney. "We sure are pleased to add 'the world's toughest foot race' to our roster of world-class running events!"

Added Donald, a fellow spokesman and comic foil, "I think I'll stick to 5Ks! If I tried to run 135 miles in temperatures reaching 120 degrees, this duck would roast!"

The Badwater 135 -- known among most runners as simply "Badwater" -- is a famously brutal race, starting in California's Death Valley (282 feet below sea level) and finishing 135 miles later on Mount Whitney (8,360 feet in elevation). Even seasoned ultramarathon runners find it difficult; last year, 96 runners started the race and 81 were official finishers.

Disney's announcement comes just weeks after Death Valley National Park declared a moratorium on running and cycling races while it studied the safety of such events and their impact on other park visitors.

While the acquisition may raise eyebrows in the ultra running community, runDisney acknowledged, the move represents a logical next step for an organization that already operates seven enormous running events that include races from 5K to full marathon. And then there's the "fun factor," where Disney is indisputably a master.

"Have ya seen photots from this Badwater thing?" Goofy asked. "Dullsville!"

"I'll say!" said Donald, quacking. "It's just sand and blackbrush and asphalt! What that race course needs is some..."

"MAGIC!" said Mickey Mouse, appearing from behind a curtain to great applause. "Ha ha! Hi, everybody!"

According to a news release, here are a few changes that runDisney has in store for Badwater:
•Disney-branded goodies including long-sleeved technical race shirts and "Tinkerbell wing" hydration packs.
•Photo opportunities with your favorite Disney characters at miles 2, 5, 8, 12, 14, 18, 20, 23, 26, 30, 33, 37, 40, 44, 46, 50, 53, 58,
62, 65, 69, 74, 77, 80, 85, 88, 92, 95, 98, 100, 103, 107, 110, 115, 118, 121, 125, 128, and 133.
•Bands at miles 5 and 100.
•Personalized bibs.
•Fireworks at the start.
•"Wave starts" to accommodate as many as 25,000 athletes.
•Pasta dinner.

In addition, the event's tough qualifying standards are being eliminated.

"We want everyone to enjoy this weekend of fun," said Mickey. "The more, the merrier! Ha ha!"

Officials hinted strongly that the 2015 Disney Badwater may include additional events, such as a 5K "fun run," 10K race, and "Half-Badwater" of 67.5 miles. Runners who tackle the "Big Bad Water Challenge," completing all four events over four days, will earn a special medal.

"See ya in Death Valley!" said Mickey. "It'll be ultra-magical!"

"Gawrsh!" added Goofy. "

(Edited to add the picture - it's just not the same without it).

Replies

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    April Fools?! ;) Cute story...lol!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I finally got a comment!!!

The comments on the Runner's World website are pretty funny also. I guess a lot of people thought it was real and the actual Badwater had to make a statement about it.

The fact that Run Disney races are pretty much the complete opposite of ultra's just makes it hilarious to me.