anyone had any success to losing weight after hysterectomy

Options
I have gained 70 lbs since my surgery. I was 195lbs you do the math its only been 3 years. I need help

Replies

• Bethp4
    Bethp4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am one year in and have no success :( I am hoping this group will grow and have great advice!!! Sorry I am no help to you yet :cry:
  • Rosannep1
    Rosannep1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am only four weeks post surgery and hope this group grows as well. I needed to lose weight prior to surgery and am concerned about gaining weight after my surgery, I can't exercise yet however doctor said I could walk as much as I wanted. So, I walk....lol. Looking to slowly get back into exercising once I get the okay and appreciate any suggestions from people who have gone through this. Lots of sitting around and watching tv = lots of eating so trying to be good.
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had my total hysterectomy about 5 years ago and gained 30 pounds the first month and another 10 the next...At the time I was told that sometimes after a hysterectomy your thyroid can get knocked off balance and that is why the weight gain. blah blah blah

Well 5 years later and those pounds are still here, thankfully I haven't gained any more. I am no on any hormone replacement meds so my doctor and I feel that could be one of the reason's i'm having such a super hard time getting the weight off.

At the time I was also told to NOT knock my self out trying to get rid of the belly, that it will never be the same as it was before, due to the musles getting cut. My doctor was upfront and honest about it....that's not an excuse for me to not work out or try to shed some of the weight but helping me to be realistic and understand that I won't go back to the weight I was before. I know it sounds crazy for a doctor to say this but it has helped me to at least not overly stress myself about the weight gain. The part that bothers me the most is that with the weight gain my blood pressure also went up so I want to get some of it off so I can get off BP meds.

On my last doctor visit, last week we talked in great detail about this , because now it is starting to bother me mentally....The advice I recieved was that even though i'm eating well (for the most part) that I can never eat again like I have eaten before, to try WW or something like that to learn better choices....I am the type of person that drinks a ton of calories (I love 100% fruit juice)....with WW (weight watchers) since you are paying for it---the level of accountability will be higher during the weekly meetings---that would push me more to work out reguarly.....

My doctor is fimilar with both MFP and WW:
    The difference between WW and MFP would be actually figuring out your food "points" before you eat something....On MFP most times you have already eaten it then once you plug it in you see the calories etc.....
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks post - robotic hysterectomy, leaving only the ovaries. Last week I began to feel horrible, I thought maybe I had torn some internal stitches. Well, I actually had a UTI, kidney stones, and a sonogram showed that now I have cysts on both ovaries. I have no energy to even get out there and walk. I have put on a few pounds (less than 5), but my eating habits are down the drain. Just prior to the surgery I had joined an MFP Challenge and had worked out 6 days/week for at least 30 minutes (sometime more than an hour, depending on the challenge). I had lost nearly 10# and felt fabulous. I knew I wouldn't be able to really exercise for 6-8 weeks after surgery, but now I'm worried I may have lost the mojo to get back at it. Starting today with going back to tracking my food, and praying seeing it all in b&w will get things back in perspective for me. I had done WW about 2 years ago, with limited success, but I find MFP easier as I feel more in control. In the past, if I went over my cals, I'd just get in a brisk 20 minute walk before bedtime and didn't feel like I'd failed for the day. Best to luck to all of you guys :)
  • Rosannep1
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the cysts Maphammond. Hopefully this is something that might go away on its own or are they talking about removing your ovaries? I'm six weeks post op from davinci hysterectomy and kept only my ovaries and tubes. I'm hoping I made the right decision to keep ovaries, but was not excited about trying to find the right hormone therapy if they did take them. I have my checkup tomorrow and hope to be cleared for exercise. I've been walking 1-2 miles a day but my eating has been out of control! I need exercise to burn more calories and it helps to eat better when your not sitting around watching tv all day. Lol.
  • maphammonds
    Options
    Thanks Rosanne! I hear ya - not wanting to get on HRT was the main reason I wanted to keep the ovaries! I started back exercising and logging food this week. So far, so good. I really find that challenges work best for me (if left to my own devices, I'll put off exercising!). I joined FabFours and Get Moving May. Each have daily or weekly challenges and minimum cardio minutes weekly. I was really happy when I step on the scale today and I'm within a 1/2 pound of where I was prior to surgery.

A couple of things I'm incorporating into my eating plan - 2x daily I have 2tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar (mixed in water and a tsp of honey - I like it, tastes like lemonade), and adding 2 tbs ground flax seed to my green smoothies in the mornings. I've noticed the ACV helps curb my appetite and the flax has been rumored to help with high cholesterol (and lots of other stuff too).

Mentally, I feel better than I did when I came across this group - and that's a big plus. Hope you were cleared from your surgery :)

Blessings,
    Patti
  • Rosannep1
    Options
    Hi Patti,
    Yes I was lifted of all restrictions last Friday, Doctor said to ease back into things. I've been walking a lot and joined a group on MFP that challenges you to exercise as well. I also need motivation, but once I get going I don't want to stop. Thanks for the tip on the apple cider. I'll have to try it. I'm hearing so much about it lately and that Braggs tastes about the best.
    I did try a little jogging but my belly is not ready for that yet. It felt good at the time but I had a lot of pulling and pangs the next day.
    Hope all is well,
    Rosanne
  • bonniebrastile
    bonniebrastile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Girls I had mine in December and one month later gained 22 pounds so I did what my Doctor said to do which I was already doing. Eat healthy, Exercise a hour a day Elliptical, Weights, Walk, Etc...... 3 months later gained 2 more pounds I have Asthma and was having a hard time breathing so she had to put me on a Diet pill I know I know it's not good for you but it worked for me 1 month later I can breath, I have my small waist back, still need to lose 12 more pounds so I am staying on them for another 2 months I am so much happier now and before u say anything like well once you stop you will gain it all back NOT TRUE I did this 3 years ago & kept myself at a healthy weight up until my Hysterectomy I am not telling you to do this but it worked for me and I would do it again if I have to. Good luck.
  • maphammonds
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story Bonnie! I'm glad you found something that works for you. I haven't had any serious weight gain, and I'm within 1 pound of my pre-surgery weight. It's not dropping of as easy as it did, but I'll take it.

On a side note - I've heard good stories from asthmatics that started using ACV daily and saw good results - just throwing that out there.

Blessings!
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You ladies are doing great, I'm still working hard to get this weight off....I chatted with my doctor about this again, after reading some of your post---I was wondering why I gained so much more weight after my surgery. In the end I guess it depends on the different reasons why the hysterectomy was needed....One great thing after talking with her is that I am no longer feeling down about it. It was really hard gaining all that weight when I wasn't eating anything at all....but enough of this down talking---I'm on an upward swing and i'm feeling great :happy:
  • sskoko
    sskoko Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I am SIlvana and I joined this site today. I really like myfitnesspal. I was on Calorie Count and that site is good but I needed something more friendly for my Andrroid.

I have been counting calories since Jan 2010 and have lost over 50 lbs and am able to maintain it without to much trouble. But two months ago I have had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) and I feel like something (besides the obvious) has changed.

I did not gain much weight but I feel like it is creeping up on me. I was not able to be active of course but I was and am careful about what I eat. I still gained about 7 lbs.

I am 5.8 tall and weigh now around 144-145. I feel best around 137 and was able to keep that weight before, but now it seems almost impossible to reach it. I read about hysterectomy and how it affects the body. It does contribute slowing up our metabolism.

Do you girls experience the same? What do you do to boost up your metabolism? Lets talk about this and get us back on track.