Dumbbells?

Options
mitchiejo
mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
I was thinking of starting Stronglifts 5X5 and was wondering if you can do this with dumbbells?

Replies

• dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not really. You can do rows with dumbbells but everything else you really need a bar for. You can get stuff on Craigslist for pretty cheap usually. That's what I did :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're just starting out and getting used to handling weights, dumbbells can be a good tool to start. But the lifts are different from using a bar, and it's just not quite the same program. The problem is that dumbbells will only get you so far. Eventually you won't be able to shoulder heavy enough for your 5x5 bench, and while you'll be working grip strength like hell trying for heavy squats, the mechanics are different and I'm afraid it just won't have the same carry over. Not to mention DB deadlift is a very awkward move, lol.

if you can't afford an olympic set or a gym membership, I'd say you might be better off looking at a different kind of program, designed specifically for DBs. I don't really know one off the top of my head, though.

But do feel free to stick around for the support and encouragement even if you don't end up doing SL!
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers! I do have a gym membership but I've been doing my weights at home and cardio at gym so far.