CO2 inflators

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
After my visit from the pssssssst fairy last night only 1 mile into my journey and the subsequent arseing about with a small pump trying to get the new tube up to a decent PSI (don't think I quite managed 100) pumping like an idiot for 5 mins...I have decided that perhaps it might be an idea to have a CO2 inflator instead for such events?

Anybody have one? Are they easy to use? It won't blow the valve off if it isn't quite sat right on it will it??? I'm a little worried about the high pressures etc.

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received, as always!!

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I've got a "combi" pump - it's a old one which planet-x used to sell - allows you to use the pump for half a dozen strokes to ensure the innertube isn't nipped by the tyre and that the tyre beads are okay before screwing in the co2 cartridge and "whumph" - instant 110psi. Of course, you "could" with enough patience actually pump the tyre up manually, but I tried once at home, just to experiement, and after over 300 strokes of the pump my trusty pressure gauge (a hang-over from the era of sprints/tubulars) read barely 70psi...

13577712425_3a203fbf6f_o.jpg

They're great for getting going again quickly in bad weather, I've never had problems with blowing valves off etc - though I did once or twice bend the presta valve-screw widgets with the one I had before this version. However, as I tend to use schwalbe or conti tubes which have exchangeable valve cores, it's a simple matter to unscrew the core when back home and fit another.

Other thing to remember is - its a get you home measure - if you've any tyre-gloop in the tube, the CO2 will degrade it pretty quickly, and within a few days the tyre will be flat - I think that the co2 just leaks out quicker - I tend to use it to get home, then flatten the tyre and re-pump with plain old fresh air from the trackpump - with the added benefit of actually knowing how hard the tyres actually are.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    I've got a "combi" pump - it's a old one which planet-x used to sell - allows you to use the pump for half a dozen strokes to ensure the innertube isn't nipped by the tyre and that the tyre beads are okay before screwing in the co2 cartridge and "whumph" - instant 110psi. Of course, you "could" with enough patience actually pump the tyre up manually, but I tried once at home, just to experiement, and after over 300 strokes of the pump my trusty pressure gauge (a hang-over from the era of sprints/tubulars) read barely 70psi...

13577712425_3a203fbf6f_o.jpg

They're great for getting going again quickly in bad weather, I've never had problems with blowing valves off etc - though I did once or twice bend the presta valve-screw widgets with the one I had before this version. However, as I tend to use schwalbe or conti tubes which have exchangeable valve cores, it's a simple matter to unscrew the core when back home and fit another.

Other thing to remember is - its a get you home measure - if you've any tyre-gloop in the tube, the CO2 will degrade it pretty quickly, and within a few days the tyre will be flat - I think that the co2 just leaks out quicker - I tend to use it to get home, then flatten the tyre and re-pump with plain old fresh air from the trackpump - with the added benefit of actually knowing how hard the tyres actually are.

Fantastic advice, thanks Mark.

I didn't know about the "exchangeable cores" on the Conti tubes (which I use) until last night when opening my new spare inner tube and taking off the valve cap, part of the valve came with it. I thought it was broken, I nearly cried!! But then I noticed it screwed in and looked pretty tight so assumed it was a design feature for some reason, but I get it - if the valve top shears off or something but the tube is ok, you can just replace the valve. Good stuff!

And I like the hybrid idea of pumping it up a little then "whoosh" with the CO2 - I was pumping my little heart out last night, love to know what i got it to - nowhere near 100psi, I know that!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    the other thing with the "valve cores" is that if you have "deep section" rims, that need long valve stems, you can just buy normal length ones and a set of "valve extenders" - whip the core out, screw on the extender, then refit the core in the extender. They were originally made for Tubular tyres, which came with a standard length valve, and a) if you damaged the presta spindle thing, you'd ruined the whole tyre if it wasn't exchangeable and b) if you wanted to run deeper rims for time-trials, you could extend the valve on the standard Tub.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    If your normal pump is okay, I'd keep that, and just get one of the little "trigger valve" ones and a couple of 16g threaded cartridges.

Other consideration is - will it be purely for presta valves or does the hybrid have schrader (car type) valves...

Can't recommend any specifics - but one tip I'd give you... wrap some gaffa tape or put a sleeve of ruined innertube around the co2 cartridge - when deployed they very quickly hit something like -30C - I've had them freeze to my wet glove a couple of times (never fortunately to bare skin)
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Yeah, my normal pump is okay - it did eventually pump up the tyre enough to ride home last night!

The hybrid has Presta valves as well, MTB has Schrader and I have a different pump for if I go out on that (can't be bothered faffing with the innards between the two types, so have 2 mini pumps, 1 set up for each!). My track pump does both.

One worry is that you only use it when you actually need it, you wouldn't practise and if it failed at the roadside, so I'd definitely keep the mini pump too!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    There's really nothing to it to be honest Fran. Depending on the model you either

a) for "trigger models" - fit the head to the cartridge, open the presta valve and fit the head, ensuring it's square on (hint - put the "valve nut" on at least finger tight against the rim before starting) then press the trigger and try not to jump when it goes "whumpp"

b) for "screw up to pierce" models - fir the head to the valve, then screw the cartridge into the head until it pierces the cartridge. At this point nothing should happen - brace yourself and unscrew the cart. a 1/4 turn and "whumpp"

it IS something that I'd recommend carrying a couple of cartridges with you - theres a distinct possibility of "munging it up" the first time - okay, you COULD sacrifice a cartridge to practice at home, but... you know the rest - I'm a Yorkshireman, We're Tight, and at over a quid a shot... I'll practice at the roadside.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'll add a couple things to what TBY said.

I use the Proflate which is nice in that the CO2 cartridge is encased in plastic so no freezing to your hand (or glove). I've had it for ever, not even sure the chuck model was out when I got mine.

I have a teammate that has the chuck model. No problems with either model. I think you will be very happy with whichever one you get.

One word of caution. Once you have inflated the tire you will notice the valve stem frost over. Tighten down the stem. Put all your stuff away and then recheck the valve stem, you will find it a little loose after it has defrosted. Real easy to ride away with a loose stem that will lose air and you will think incorrectly you have another flat. Just double check the stem before you ride off.

Also CO2 escapes from your tires quicker than air. The next morning after fixing a flat with CO2 your tire will seem softer than it should be, just deflate and re-inflate with your floor pump and your good to go.

These are great little devices, easy to use, light, and low to no maintance.
    There's really nothing to it to be honest Fran. Depending on the model you either

a) for "trigger models" - fit the head to the cartridge, open the presta valve and fit the head, ensuring it's square on (hint - put the "valve nut" on at least finger tight against the rim before starting) then press the trigger and try not to jump when it goes "whumpp"

b) for "screw up to pierce" models - fir the head to the valve, then screw the cartridge into the head until it pierces the cartridge. At this point nothing should happen - brace yourself and unscrew the cart. a 1/4 turn and "whumpp"

it IS something that I'd recommend carrying a couple of cartridges with you - theres a distinct possibility of "munging it up" the first time - okay, you COULD sacrifice a cartridge to practice at home, but... you know the rest - I'm a Yorkshireman, We're Tight, and at over a quid a shot... I'll practice at the roadside.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use both, CO2 inflators and a mini-pump. I tend to ride longer than short, so I always carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2s and a pump. Avoid the CO2 "chucks" and get something like the Genuine Innovations type where the CO2 slides into it and you can lock it shut for reuse later (only good so long). I picked up a CaneCreek mini dual output pump for Xmas, handy little thing and fits nicely in my jersey.

I'm sure you know, but CO2 air is best for temporary use, i.e. you'll need to bleed the air and refill with a pump later.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    I use both, CO2 inflators and a mini-pump. I tend to ride longer than short, so I always carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2s and a pump. Avoid the CO2 "chucks" and get something like the Genuine Innovations type where the CO2 slides into it and you can lock it shut for reuse later (only good so long). I picked up a CaneCreek mini dual output pump for Xmas, handy little thing and fits nicely in my jersey.

I'm sure you know, but CO2 air is best for temporary use, i.e. you'll need to bleed the air and refill with a pump later.

Really helpful - thanks for that! I'm still researching but had seen the Genuine Innovations ones which had good reviews...
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Gonna go with this one I think, Bontrager Air Rush Road did well on BikeRadar and got good reviews, best of both worlds too...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/mini-pump/product/review-bontrager-air-rush-road-pump-10-39705/
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Looks like something out of the Terminator movies or James Bond...

1283850492204-rx7qwhfl1uje-670-80.jpg

Just DON'T frame mount it - Rule #30 :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Actually, there's a pretty good historic precedent for mounting CO2 pumps on the frame...

BITD, it used to be "quite the done thing" amongst the "racing lads" of the early 40's 50's and early 60's to have a braze-on mount for a CO2 filler pump behind the seat-tube...

13601969454_56dfd3a522_o.jpg

13601681103_7272916c71_o.jpg

sadly now confined to the history books - much the same as flintcatchers...

13602117724_f75abaca71.jpg
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    I use something similar to this: http://genuineinnovations.itwgbx.com/products/inflators/proflate-co2-tire-inflator/ which fits easily in my saddle bag.

My mini-pump is this one: http://cart.crankbrothers.com/tools-pumps/power-pump-1/sterling-sg.html which slides into my jersey pocket.

I mostly use the pump to get started then finish off with a CO2 fill. Of course if you get into a bind where you get a bad CO2, etc. then the pump is good to get you further down the road.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    This:
    is like mine.

I bought replacement cartridges from here: http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=280

30 x 16g cartridges - only used 2 so far...
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    This:
    is like mine.

I bought replacement cartridges from here: http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=280

30 x 16g cartridges - only used 2 so far...

The 12g cartridges work in it also (they will fit a bit loose though).
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options

I can echo the carry two cartridges. Blew a tire last year and when I filled the tube the tire unseated from the rim. I had to deflate and push it back. I still had air in the first cartridge but not 100 PSI. I had a second cartridge so I used that and the rest of the ride went swimmingly. :wink:
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's what I carry with me. Two tire levers, a spare tube, a patch kit, a CO2 pump, two CO2 cartridges, a "quick link" for the chain, a crank bros multi tool, and some cash (paper not change). Also I have though about carrying a small piece of rubber or cloth in case I really muck up a tire.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    So I went to the bike shop and checked out the bontrager duel inflater. That thing was way to big to put under my seat. It looked like it would occupy quite a bit of room if you frame mounted it and I don't want to give up the water bottle to mount it. Who's used one of the other duel inflaters?