How Much Weight Did You Gain?

Options
RaeLB
RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
Hey y'all!

How much weight did you gain with your bulk? I've been seeing 15-20 lb gains on this forum and I'm not even close to that.

I started to bulk at the end of December but I broke my wrist and couldn't lift until February, so really I've only been bulking/lifting for 8.5 weeks now and I've only gained 3 lbs!

I'm going to continue to bulk until the end of April since I got started so late but I think I need to up my calories again. I do feel stronger and my arms are getting more badass but I don't see much visible gain in the rest of my body... but maybe it's under a layer of fat...IDK help! :smile:

Replies

• RaeLB
    Options
    I probably should include this info:

I started at 118lbs and currently weigh 121lbs

I am eating 2100 calories a day which is apparently a 500 surplus for me
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    20 weeks, 4 lbs. I think I lost fat, though, so I guess it worked out okay. Next bulk will be better.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? Going by looks alone is difficult

In the 10 weeks I was bulking I gained 6lb so .6 a week. But yeah lots of the super badass women on here did way more... maybe next winter :D

Upping calories might be a good idea and it's quite common to go up as when you increase calories you NEAT increases too, so you actually use more calories daily. I think I have seen a study on that somewhere on this group but I can't remember where. Maybe someone can help?
  • RaeLB
    Options
    20 weeks, 4 lbs. I think I lost fat, though, so I guess it worked out okay. Next bulk will be better.

Do you have a noticeable difference in appearance?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    12lbs over 16 wks and had to increase my cals quite a few times to keep the gains coming. Is 2100 based off of TDEE with activity included or another way?
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Did you take measurements? Going by looks alone is difficult

In the 10 weeks I was bulking I gained 6lb so .6 a week. But yeah lots of the super badass women on here did way more... maybe next winter :D

Upping calories might be a good idea and it's quite common to go up as when you increase calories you NEAT increases too, so you actually use more calories daily. I think I have seen a study on that somewhere on this group but I can't remember where. Maybe someone can help?

I did but I wrote them on a piece of paper and it got lost in a recent move. I just started putting info in my phone instead lol.

With 6lbs did you get a noticeable difference in appearance? your body looks badass but I don't know what's before and after lol.

Thanks for the info on calories, that makes total sense! I think I'm going to bump them a bit more and see what happens... oh god my bulking belly already feels like it's going to explode lol.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    12lbs over 16 wks and had to increase my cals quite a few times to keep the gains coming. Is 2100 based off of TDEE with activity included or another way?

I just recalculated my TDEE and I'm getting 1797 (not 1630) so maybe I accidently left out exercise when I originally did my calculations! Oops! Thanks! I will make the change.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I gained about 5 pounds in 8 weeks... Not a lot but I don't gain THAT easily so it's ok. I'll do a longer & slower bulk next time. I did gain some strength and PR on a lot of my lifts so it's all good!

Seems like I lost a lot of water weight when I stopped taking Creatine.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    After all was said and done (weight fluctuated quite a bit)- 10lbs in 20 weeks. So, .5lbs a week. Some weeks I saw no gain, some weeks I saw a massive gain. Just like cutting, it wasn't linear for me.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Not sure it was mentioned yet but women can only gain about .25 lbs of muscle per week. So that's roughly 1 lb a month. Gaining anything above that will be fat or water weight. Wah wah. So to make the most of my gains I'm shooting to gain about 0.5 lbs per week. I don't mind the extra fluff as long as I ensure I'm building muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not sure it was mentioned yet but women can only gain about .25 lbs of muscle per week. So that's roughly 1 lb a month. Gaining anything above that will be fat or water weight. Wah wah.

gotta accept the fat gain to allow muscle gain.

If you aren't gaining fat you aren't bulking. Unfortunately we as women tend to want to preserve the lean look AND make progress- but unless we accept the painfully slow and not as effect tedious slow bulk it's just not going to happen- i'ts not realistic.

5 months /20 weeks and I've put on roughly 15-20 lbs.

at 10 lbs you are going to notice a difference in clothing. I didn't really start noticing till December after I threw all my "big pants" away with my move.

I've put on size everywhere- I think my arms jumped up an inch or more on biceps with absolutely NO curling whats so ever. ( I don't carry a lot of fat up there- so it's not a great deal of fat on my upper body- mostly my thighs and butt)

So I'll take more measurements today to round out my numbers from comparing November through March.

I am disappointed with strength gains- but that's partly my own fault- I switched and moved strictly to a hypertrophy phase and so PR's weren't an option.
  • TriLifter
    Options

Definitely! I was totally pear shaped before--large butt and thighs with weak shoulders. My shoulders are much broader now--I'm an hourglass now! I mean, still no boobs, but I've got larger arms and a wider back, so who needs them?!
  • JoRocka
    Options

Definitely! I was totally pear shaped before--large butt and thighs with weak shoulders. My shoulders are much broader now--I'm an hourglass now! I mean, still no boobs, but I've got larger arms and a wider back, so who needs them?!

wide shoulders- big back = smaller look waist.

so sexy.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    12 lbs. in 16 weeks for me.
  • RaeLB
    Options

This is totally me... well, at 118lbs nothing is "large" but I've always had a hefty butt & thighs compared to my breasts & arms and I'm loving the growing arms and broader back/shoulders!
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've gained 5 lbs. in 12 weeks. The bulk of that was last month when I increased my calories to 2100
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    18lbs from Mid Sept-Jan 1
  • TriLifter
    Options

so sexy.

Exactly! My waist stayed the same but it looks smaller. I love it!
  • JoRocka
    Options

so sexy.

Exactly! My waist stayed the same but it looks smaller. I love it!

perception/optical illusions means A LOT in this business! LOL
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    4 lbs in about 4 months. My thighs are noticeably different, but they were pretty weak to begin with, which is what prompted me to bulk in the first place.

To be honest, I probably won't go for much more next year. If I can cut down and maintain 125 lbs this summer, I might go for 7-10 lbs over the 5 months of winter, but I'd be okay with 5. Even after my "bulk", my body fat is 19%. Glutes, legs, and abs still need mass.

Pics (sorry for the standing-on-the-toilet shot. Easiest place to take a selfie in my house)

128 lbs:

[img]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/Lifting progress/F-08192013.jpg[/img]

131 lbs (I gained another lb after this picture, and then promptly started cutting):

[img]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/Lifting progress/F-02272014.jpg[/img]