Fat in a land of fit

Options
Tamzy00
Tamzy00 Posts: 23 Member
I'm from the Midwest, only moved to AZ a couple years ago and its been a culture shock. Back in Indiana there was a mix of fat, thin, indoor/outdoor, active, inactive. Here it seems like everyone around me is thin and fit and outdoorsy. Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors and wish I was able to join them, but I can't. At least not yet - a work in progress. It is disheartening and more than a little lonely being the only tubbo in a land of athletes. Its nice to see that there are others out there struggling like me, even if they are few and far between and generally on the other side of the state. :ohwell:

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    LOL...I've been here in Az almost 17 years I think (originally from NYC) and 665 days ago got serious about losing weight when I found MFP. Older than you (OP) but like you, work at home sitting on my butt. Set your mind to it and you can do it. One day, one pound, one step at a time.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hey Tamzy

I know just how you feel. I moved here in 2010 from Ohio having spent 5 years there and growing up in New England prior to. It was a culture shock, but I knew what I was in for having moved here for 6 months back in 2000. I'm glad I did. The weather here lends itself to year round "outdorsyness" which is great because you don't get near as much as a winter flubber gain- which tends to build year after year. Downside is I am now freezing. ALL the TIME. Seriously, today was COLD ...did you notice? By cold I mean high 50's at night.

Hang in there it gets better. I started out just walking here at the dog park 5 days a week and moved further into hiking. Don't set huge goals just set frequent goals to move - even if it isn't super strenuous.

Also there are less expensive healthier stores here like Sprouts :) When I went back home last summer I almost had a heart attack when I saw the poor quality of their fruit/veggies and that they still cost like 5x more than here!

Be happy you get to live in this awesome place :) I know I'm dreading the day should my family have to move for work or school - I'm terrified to move anywhere cold and be uncomfortable sad and heavy again!

It only gets better from here :)
  • Tamzy00
    Options
    Really? You think so? I'm always saying how much more expensive produce is here than in Indiana. I figured maybe they have to import it. You dont see veggie farms out here like you do in Indiana. Fresh food seems (meat/fruit/veggies) seems 3x the cost here! Wierd, maybe Ohio is higher cost of living than Indiana. Who knew? :)
    Also there are less expensive healthier stores here like Sprouts :) When I went back home last summer I almost had a heart attack when I saw the poor quality of their fruit/veggies and that they still cost like 5x more than here!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely. I didn't even buy fruits and veggies in Ohio b/c of how expensive they were. If you're not buying organic here at sprouts I can get 3 red peppers for 1.00 sometimes. In Ohio it would be .99 at BEST and in New England maybe 1.59.Most of those ratios remain the same. Where do you shop? Go. To. Sprouts!!!!! Even their organic would be cheaper.
  • Tamzy00
    Options
    Oh absolutely. I didn't even buy fruits and veggies in Ohio b/c of how expensive they were. If you're not buying organic here at sprouts I can get 3 red peppers for 1.00 sometimes. In Ohio it would be .99 at BEST and in New England maybe 1.59.Most of those ratios remain the same. Where do you shop? Go. To. Sprouts!!!!! Even their organic would be cheaper.

We don't have one up here. I live in Chino Valley, up by Prescott. Far as I know we don't have a good farmers market of any kind. If I want organic, we have Trader Joes or Natural Grocers, otherwise its the usual grocery stores. Trader Joe's isn't too bad for the organic stuff, but for regular produce, prices in general seem much higher than Indiana. Could use a good farmers market if anyone knows of one of up here!