adding extra lifts to the program

Options
2»

Replies

• marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out if i should i stick with just SL for a while longer. I hate to start a program & not stick with it. I really enjoy squats & deadlifts, and i like the strength gains I am seeing from SL...
    If you do this icecreamfitness 5x5 , you actually keep on doing Stronglifts just adding a lot of extra work describe there.

This has 2 workouts alternating exactly like StrongLift ,3 times a week ( ABA, BAB). Plus it starts with the exact same 3 moves as Stronglifts 5x5.
    Workout A is squat, bench, row, each 5x5 , plus an isolation for each muscle in the arms ( triceps, biceps, shoulder) 3x8 style + abs
    Workout B is squat, OHP 5x5, deadlift 1x5 , plus different chest press that designed to grow your pecs, plus lighter row for bigger back and abs.

It seems that this workout is StrongLift + upper body muscle growth moves . I think if you have the time to do al of those why not?

I am pretty sure that i read somewhere on the StrongLifts website where Mehdi said not to add to the routine. I also found comments on a few bodybuilding sites where people asked about adding extra moves in & there were a lot of responses saying not to do it, that the program should be done as designed & not altered. This is why i was hesitant....

but I guess I just have to get that thought out of my head because as you pointed out, this other program is basically StrongLifts with some extra work added on.
  • marvybells
    Options
    Some people around here have mentioned this program a few times:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I picked two exercises from the list that I wasn't already doing ( the whole workout takes 1.5 hours, yikes) and have been doing Tricep Extensions and incline curls (3x8) after every workout. Like girlie100 said, I think it all depends of how much time you have.

ICF doesn't take 1.5 hours.
    Including my 10min cardio warm up, an extra warm up set of squats without weight, adding in calf raises, and stretching after, the longest ICF has taken me is 82min.

can i ask, did you do SL 5x5 first and then switch to ICF later? or did you start out with that program?

I am trying to figure out if i should i stick with just SL for a while longer. I hate to start a program & not stick with it. I really enjoy squats & deadlifts, and i like the strength gains I am seeing from SL...

but i do not like that some areas such as my calves, hamstrings & triceps actually look less pronounced now. (Before i started heavy lifting i was doing various isolation exercises and some higher rep compound moves off of a step with dumbbells.) So i'm itching to switch things up a bit.

I did NROLW stage 1. The SL 5x5. Then a modified SL fron Sara and heybales to fit into my running. Suffered an injury. Did a self designed split (reviewed by a trainer and physical therapist and not at ICF.

I added calf raises to SL and to ICF.
    I considered Strong CCurves, ICF, and Allpro.
    Went with ICF due to simplicity.
    Allpro progression confused me.
    And I had a guy watching me at my gym so doing hip thrusts ajd some of the other stuff in SC ruled that out.

I think ill go back to a split when ICF is through (another 2.5 moths or so - so bout the time I move) but too soon to tell.

Blaha has a vid on youtube bout it. The link in the bb.com forum doesnt work (or didnt for me)

ew to the creepster watching you hip thrust :(

thank you for the info. i'll check out that video :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you do this icecreamfitness 5x5 , you actually keep on doing Stronglifts just adding a lot of extra work describe there.

This has 2 workouts alternating exactly like StrongLift ,3 times a week ( ABA, BAB). Plus it starts with the exact same 3 moves as Stronglifts 5x5.
    Workout A is squat, bench, row, each 5x5 , plus an isolation for each muscle in the arms ( triceps, biceps, shoulder) 3x8 style + abs
    Workout B is squat, OHP 5x5, deadlift 1x5 , plus different chest press that designed to grow your pecs, plus lighter row for bigger back and abs.

It seems that this workout is StrongLift + upper body muscle growth moves . I think if you have the time to do al of those why not?

I am pretty sure that i read somewhere on the StrongLifts website where Mehdi said not to add to the routine. I also found comments on a few bodybuilding sites where people asked about adding extra moves in & there were a lot of responses saying not to do it, that the program should be done as designed & not altered. This is why i was hesitant....

but I guess I just have to get that thought out of my head because as you pointed out, this other program is basically StrongLifts with some extra work added on.

Medhi is a douche.
    ICF (aka Blaha 5x5) is essentially SL.

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    bench 5x5
    Row 5x5
    Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 5x5
    Chinups 3x5-8 (or straight bar curls or incline curls 3x8)
    Hyperextension 2x10 (says in the video he prefers good mornings but as a novice, stick with hyperextensions)
    Kneeling cable crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing press 5x5
    Row 5x5 (10% less weight than you used in A)
    Close grip bench press 3x8
    Straight bar or incline curl 3x8

So thats essentially what I'm doing.
    I do a warm up set of squats without weight because of my knee then warm up with weight. I added calf raises to work out B - weightless between squat sets amd 3x15 with weight after. I don't do the kneeling cable crunch mostly because I forgot how to do it the first day so I just do a different core work for now.

I do incline curls in A and straight bar curls in B. My Q2 goal is to do the chin ups (with band assistance at first). I do good mornings in A and also front squats in A. Wprkout B takes more time for me than A does just as an FYI
  • marvybells
    Options

Medhi is a douche.
    ICF (aka Blaha 5x5) is essentially SL.

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    bench 5x5
    Row 5x5
    Shrug 3x8
    Skullcrusher 5x5
    Chinups 3x5-8 (or straight bar curls or incline curls 3x8)
    Hyperextension 2x10 (says in the video he prefers good mornings but as a novice, stick with hyperextensions)

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing press 5x5
    Row 5x5 (10% less weight than you used in A)
    Close grip bench press 3x8
    Straight bar or incline curl 3x8

So thats essentially what I'm doing.
    I do a warm up set of squats without weight because of my knee then warm up with weight. I added calf raises to work out B - weightless between squat sets amd 3x15 with weight after. I don't do the kneeling cable crunch mostly because I forgot how to do it the first day so I just do a different core work for now.

I do incline curls in A and straight bar curls in B. My Q2 goal is to do the chin ups (with band assistance at first). I do good mornings in A and also front squats in A. Wprkout B takes more time for me than A does just as an FYI

lol. that's not the first time i've seen someone say that about him. I guess i should have known that might be total nonsense, but when i saw a lot of people in that bodybuilding forum backing up what he said i bought into it. All i see in the forums is people recommending StrongLifts or Starting Strength. I have never even seen mention of this program before. Anyway, i'm so glad that i posted this thread and got a new perspective from you and the other ladies that responded. .....

SOOO, tonight after work i am switching to ICF. (After all, it has "Ice Cream" in the name, how could i not? :happy: )

I can not do the Kneeling cable crunches, in my case it is because I don't have access to a cable machine. (I work out in my basement and i only have a bar & weights, a squat rack, a bench, and a set of adjustable dumbbells.) So i'll do some weighted crunches instead, and I will also add calf raises to routine B because my calves definitely need some work.

I might try to add hip thrusts at some point. I attempted them the other day and it was a fail. (hard to get in position and very awkward & uncomfortable). After i watch a few videos & look up some tips on how to make them less uncomfortable i'll give it a try again.

thank you for this, i really appreciate it :flowerforyou:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Not gonna infini-quote lol

ICF isn't recommended as often. Same with Allpro I've noticed.

Also an update, ICF B took me 92 minutes this AM.
    Heres why:
    1×10 unweighted squats
    2x5x55 squats
    5x5x105 squats
    -after every set of squats I did 1x10 unweighted calf raises. I also stretched out my ankles for 20-30s in the upward direction due to lack of flexibility in that direction. Also a 4 min convo about running nd lifting with this guy
    3x15x165 calf raises (I use the barbell)
    2x5x65/1x5x85/1x5x115 deadlift
    2x5x30/3x5x50/1x4x50 OHP
    - I also added in 3x10x10 ankle twists per ankle to work on stability
    1x10x30/5x5x55 row
    3x8x45 CGBP
    3x8x30 straight bar curl (also 2 min convo with a guy from my old krav studio)
    3x10 hanging leg raise in captains chair
    Stretching

So suubtract the convos and misc. stuff I added due to my injuries, its about 75 min with a brief cardio warmup
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the conversation, but I've started to add hip thrusts and other glute-ham accessories in with SL. Up to this point, I've been doing 2 days of SL per week and add the glute work on A days. That way I'm not frying my lower back since some of my accessories hit that as well. Starting this week, I'll be moving back to 3 lifting days a week and will do B on Mondays, Accessory lifts Wed, and A on Fridays. Core, cardio, and bodyweight work on Tue/Thurs. Oh and boxing class M/W/F as well......btw, I'm a little nutz. :bigsmile:

So, the short of it is, add accessories as you feel the need for them. Hip thrusts are a great addition to the program.
  • marvybells
    Options
    I did ICF routine A yesterday and it took me 100 minutes with a 7 minute warmup. I can see how i will likely be able to trim that time down some, but i doubt i will get it to 75 mins. i think the 90 mins is pretty accurate, at least in my case. (i must take longer rests between sets, also maybe because i prefer to add calf raises at the end instead of between my squat sets)
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I did ICF routine A yesterday and it took me 100 minutes with a 7 minute warmup. I can see how i will likely be able to trim that time down some, but i doubt i will get it to 75 mins. i think the 90 mins is pretty accurate, at least in my case. (i must take longer rests between sets, also maybe because i prefer to add calf raises at the end instead of between my squat sets)

Ive done tge unweighted calf raoses between sets since I started stronglifts lol. I get bored just standing there haha

Did you do the chin ups or curls?
  • marvybells
    Options

Ive done tge unweighted calf raoses between sets since I started stronglifts lol. I get bored just standing there haha

Did you do the chin ups or curls?

i did curls. the only way for me to *kind of* do them in my home is to hang off the bar of my mini-trampoline, but that ends up being only partial body-weight since my legs are on the ground. It is still very challenging for me if i extend one leg out as far as i can & lift the other one off of the ground. so i will do it some days in the future....

but i didn't bother last night because i was working out at 9pm after a 7 hr shift where i already exhausted myself (i work in a supermarket bakery and some days are not bad but on busy days it is quite a workout. Yesterday i did a lot of production which involves moving boxes of frozen bagels & other stuff, pushing baking racks and carts around, etc;...even doing dishes is a chore. those pans are heavy.)

last year i used to go do pullups & chinups at the playground near me. I would hang a leg off the bridge until i worked up to being able to do a couple reps of each. it was hard. so hard. it took a while to get to that point. and now that i stopped i bet i couldn't even do one rep unassisted....maybe after the semester ends when i have some more free time (and can work out during the day) i will start doing that again.

edited for spelling mistakes.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I got a door frame pull up bar off of woot.com for 20$. Its Iron Gym and came with some other crap I didn't want.
    I think I paid 45$ or so for the pullup assistance bands. I use the thinnest one to help stretch out my hips and hamstrings
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I picked two exercises from the list that I wasn't already doing ( the whole workout takes 1.5 hours, yikes) and have been doing Tricep Extensions and incline curls (3x8) after every workout. Like girlie100 said, I think it all depends of how much time you have.

Including my 10min cardio warm up, an extra warm up set of squats without weight, adding in calf raises, and stretching after, the longest ICF has taken me is 82min.

I'm just going by what the program says: "Common time for the workout is around 1.5 hours.". I also saw another user here who mentioned it takes her 2 hours sometimes. You might not rest as much between sets.
  • marvybells
    Options
    I got a door frame pull up bar off of woot.com for 20$. Its Iron Gym and came with some other crap I didn't want.
    I think I paid 45$ or so for the pullup assistance bands. I use the thinnest one to help stretch out my hips and hamstrings

i have one that is supposed to fit my door frames ( i measured to be sure before i ordered) but it only fits the one over the basement stairwell and i'm too scared to do it there.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

i have one that is supposed to fit my door frames ( i measured to be sure before i ordered) but it only fits the one over the basement stairwell and i'm too scared to do it there.

I'd be way too scared too!

If there anyway you can build one out on the wall using metal piping and elbows & such?
  • marvybells
    Options

I'd be way too scared too!

If there anyway you can build one out on the wall using metal piping and elbows & such?

no i can't do anything like that because i don't own the house. i want to buy a pullup/dip station. i have plenty of room in the basement. i just have to check if the height of it will be ok with the low ceilings. There was one on sale on amazon for less than $90 a while back. i waited too long and now the price is jacked up. if it drops down between $80-90 again i might get it.
  • marvybells
    Options

I'm just going by what the program says: "Common time for the workout is around 1.5 hours.". I also saw another user here who mentioned it takes her 2 hours sometimes. You might not rest as much between sets.

Routine B took me just over 100 mins to complete today. The other day i did A and it was just as long.

I don't think i could get it done faster without skipping over some stuff (I use http://warmupreps.com/ to determine my warm up sets, and I do not rest between exercises. My rests between sets are 3-4 mins on average except for the accessory work in the 3x8-10 range which was 1.5-2 mins.)