Cycling shorts

Options
nkovacs1954
nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
Back on the bike after a long absence. Got a fitting and it made all the difference.

Looking for comfortable and baggy type bike shorts...no lycra of this guy..suggestions?

Thanks....

Replies

• Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    +1 for AeroTech Designs. I just bought a pair of big man's bibs and can't wait for the weekend to not be rainy and cold so I can break them in. Also have a pair of baggy shorts from them that are now a bit big.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Lycra? :noway:

I take it you ain't a 'Roadie?'
  • mpmckeough
    mpmckeough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try mountain biking shorts.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Baggy shorts over lycra? I don't do any type of riding without my trusty padded spandex.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    See Rule #18!

I used to wear baggy when I rode MTB. No matter what quality slim-fit baggy shorts you find, you'll eventually snag them on your saddle. Now days I wear lycra (bibs specifically) for all types riding.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I love my Jett MTB shorts, they are of course womens but I assume the mens are also good. Sugoi as well.

Oh, and my husband just got some of these that he really likes, they are a little longer:

http://royalracing.com/product/matrix-short/
    matrix-short-blue-f-450x600.jpg
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Baggy shorts over lycra? I don't do any type of riding without my trusty padded spandex.

The baggy shorts from AeroTech are a baggy outer shell with pockets over a padded tighter inner liner with leg grips.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

The baggy shorts from AeroTech are a baggy outer shell with pockets over a padded tighter inner liner with leg grips.

That's pretty much how all baggys are supposed to be worn. Sometimes the liner comes with the baggies, sometimes you buy them separately., but the liners are generally lighter weight material than traditional lycra bike shorts which would be too hot to wear under something in the summer.
  • nkovacs1954
    Options
    Stuffing 20lbs of "stuff" into a 10lb bag usually isn't pretty..
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

I hear you, but 'baggies' on a road bike is just plain wrong - I wore Lycra when I started riding in April 2011!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with Lycra based on your profile picture.....
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I have padded liners for what ever I'm wearing. Lots of choices out there anymore.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    First let me say I LOVE KNovacks' profile picture. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I'm mountain biking, I wear my padded shorts under baggy outer shorts. I might get hung up once in a blue moon, but the baggy shorts will do a MUCH BETTER job of protecting you when you guessed wrong on if you could clear that stump or not. :laugh: :laugh:

On a separate note, don't do like that one guy and wear your white liners in place of bike shorts on a road bike ride. Once the sweat starts to drip, there is no hiding ANYTHING in those shorts. One accidental glance and you will have to throw your post ride recovery banana away. :laugh: :laugh:
  • nkovacs1954
    Options
    You mean my cutoff grey USMC sweatpants don't make the cut?
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL :laugh: :laugh: , especially the cut off USMC sweat pants. I think they are the same grey sweat pants I had from the Air Force. My wife threw those out years ago. She said she wasn't embarrassed that I was in the military. She was embarrassed that I either a) hadn't exercised enough to wear them out, or b) didn't have the fashion sense to donate them to some third world country where they might still be in style. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • nkovacs1954
    Options
    I remember running in lousy fitting high top Chuck Taylor's, grey sweat pants and a rubber jacket. No Fitbit, no computer, no GPs..just get out and go....never knew I needed a special getup to bike..
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I started riding on the road back in the days before lycra - where shorts were uniformly black, knitted acrylic/wool had a chamois that came from an animal and when wet they used to stretch and sag like crazy. Needless to say, when Castelli (closely followed by Assos) launched "Spandex" shorts, I decided to forego the wheel upgrade that quarter and buy 3 pairs. Don't think I've ridden a bike since without wearing them (admittedly they've occasionally been under a pair of "civilian" shorts or MTB shorts/threquarters like the Endura Humvees (which are brilliant BTW) - generally when I've known that the short ride would end in a pub, or for MTB night rides which again, feature a post ride refreshment at some licenced premises).

And that includes when i was 180kg...(398lb - 28st6lb)... I'll admit that I probably looked like a condom badly stuffed with buckets of blancmange, but I was a comfortable condom stuffed with buckets of blancmange.

Frankly my vanity is not as strong as my aversion to sore knackers or biffins bridge...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Amen to comfort over fashion. You are my hero. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Go the lycra, you won't be sorry, no matter what you look like, there is alway someone else who looks worse.

At the end of the day you out there exercising at least be comfortable while doing it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Performance Bike has decent house brand baggies that they won't break the bank.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=400067&facet=mfName_ntk_cs%3APerformance&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=

I only wear baggies on my MTB. On a road bike they flap in the wind too much.