Bulking vs. Cutting Program

Options
RaeLB
RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
I have another question for your collective knowledge/experience!

When you switch/ed into cutting did you continue with your same lifting program or did you change it?

I've been focusing on hypertrophy, should I switch to strength training since I can't grow my muscles while cutting? Which is better to keep my current muscle and keep increasing my strength?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Keen to see your answers. I have done this with, literally, no clue :/

ETA: which hypertrophy programme did I you use for your bulk (info for next time)? Think I lucked out as I had already decided to do smolov to get my squat weight up but I'd probably be better working on all over next time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1211765-what-does-your-cutting-routine-look-like

might help you a little as some thoughts will be repeated.

I didn't do anything different other than stuff my face- up until the last six weeks.

Six weeks ago I switched to the 20 rep squat breathing program- purely to build size and help push your bottom squat number/working range UP.

I definitely gained sized- it was mentally significantly more difficult than I was prepared for- but I survived. Taught me a lot.

Had I not wanted to see specific gains I would not have changed my program so much as just upped the number of reps I was shooting for- created a little more structure rather than shooting for high numbers and lower reps. But the lifting style would have been the same.

I haven't changed lifting- I'm tailoring that for a peaking program- really all I'm doing is throwing in some cardio and eating a a hell of a lot less!!!
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Keen to see your answers. I have done this with, literally, no clue :/

ETA: which hypertrophy programme did I you use for your bulk (info for next time)? Think I lucked out as I had already decided to do smolov to get my squat weight up but I'd probably be better working on all over next time.

All Pro's SBR
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the link!

When cutting, shouldn't I be focused on strength since cutting won't build muscle? If I continue with hypertrophy focused sets/reps won't I stall with strength gains?
  • JoRocka
    Options

When cutting, shouldn't I be focused on strength since cutting won't build muscle? If I continue with hypertrophy focused sets/reps won't I stall with strength gains?

oh- sorry- bulking.

nothing but stuff my face while bulking.
    I switched to a hypertrophy program while bulking.

cutting- I've gone back down to my regular lower reps more weight - so yes.
    you are going to stall strength gains at some point- that's a down side of cutting- you just aren't going to see as much progress what you were while bulking- the best hope is to not lose strength.

Sorry I'm multi tasking. I did a terrible job answering that question. iFail. LOL
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Cheers Rae, will google that one for next time.

Jo, this looks awesome. I hate, hate cardio but I could totally kid myself with the 'bear complex, lunges superset' thingy, thanks.
  • RaeLB
    Options

oh- sorry- bulking.

nothing but stuff my face while bulking.
    I switched to a hypertrophy program while bulking.

cutting- I've gone back down to my regular lower reps more weight - so yes.
    you are going to stall strength gains at some point- that's a down side of cutting- you just aren't going to see as much progress what you were while bulking- the best hope is to not lose strength.

Sorry I'm multi tasking. I did a terrible job answering that question. iFail. LOL

hahah no problem! Thanks!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change a thing about your lifting when switching between the two. Often a misunderstood concept. You want strength? Focus on that. Some prefer the hypertrophy range out of preference. Muscle is built through a surplus and progressive overload which is achieved in both ranges. Don't fall in the trap that during cutting you do a million reps at lighter weight; such a bro move.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yeah a million reps is over rated- I was *****ing when I moved from 5 up to 8 reps.

I kept saying- 8 who the hell does 8. was not happy.

no- don't have to- can keep doing what you're doing.
    Yes if you're goals change.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Umm now I find these answers confusing but maybe my question isn't worded well lol.

My understanding is

Strength: lower reps

Hypertrophy: higher reps

While bulking I’ve been focused on hypertrophy so I’ve been doing 8 reps (3 sets).

My understanding is you can’t achieve hypertrophy while cutting so my question is while I’m cutting should I lower my reps and focus on strength, for example a 5x5 program.

If I can’t achieve hypertrophy during cutting what's the point of sticking with my same routine? I might as well focus on strength and switch up my routine. UNLESS sticking with the same routine will help keep my recently obtained muscle mass better than a strength training program.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Umm now I find these answers confusing but maybe my question isn't worded well lol.

My understanding is

Strength: lower reps

Hypertrophy: higher reps

While bulking I’ve been focused on hypertrophy so I’ve been doing 8 reps (3 sets).

My understanding is you can’t achieve hypertrophy while cutting so my question is while I’m cutting should I lower my reps and focus on strength, for example a 5x5 program.

If I can’t achieve hypertrophy during cutting what's the point of sticking with my same routine? I might as well focus on strength and switch up my routine. UNLESS sticking with the same routine will help keep my recently obtained muscle mass better than a strength training program.

You're way overthinking this. Work in the rep range that you like. Hypertrophy can still be worked with heavy *kitten* weight to MAINTAIN your muscle gained. Many prefer hyper as well during cutting bc it's easier to superset and dropset for more if a cardiovascular endurance.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Yes, I probably am overthinking it! I'm just so worried about losing my gains.

Thanks for the info!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yes, I probably am overthinking it! I'm just so worried about losing my gains.

Thanks for the info!

keep lifting- that's the best way to not loose your gains :D
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The program which you successfully used to build muscle is the best one to help you retain it ;)
  • RaeLB
    Options
    thanks y'all. you have eased my mind :drinker: