April Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Hi Diamondettes,

Sorry to keep you hanging for a few days. I would like to pick another Nevada Barr book for April. I haven't picked it yet; but I was wondering if you would be interested in trying something a little different. What would it be like if we each picked our own Nevada Barr book? We could share plot information and general stuff we like about the book as we read it; if we are reading different books, we wouldn't need to wait until everyone finishes reading. I thought this would be an easier way to find a library book or used book, too. If this idea is going to de-motivate your participation, please let's not do it.

Mary

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Diamondettes,

Hope you are doing well. Lenore are you okay?

Nevada Barr is okay with me. Choosing our own book title to read is good, too. We can share our observations of the book we have selected. I have read 2 of the Anna Pigeon series and I think I would like to read the first book in the series - Track of the Cat.

For fun I am reading Cowgirl Creamery. Maybe it is a Ca. thing but it they make my favorite cheeses...interesting how these ladies became cheese makers and some yummy recipes.

My April vote is in :happy:

Mady
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am doing ok; havent been loggin on as consistently but plan on resuming . I also didnt read either Feb or March books ?!? I dont feel motivated to read a whole lot.. But I am going to get a Nevada Barr book for April. I still have the Wild book checked out and will try and get started. I am not demotivated just busy and trying to do alot of stuff.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Glad you are okay. Hey, we all get busy or out of motivation and whether you read the book or not you are still in the club, so let us know how you are doing.

Diamond gals rule!!!!
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hey Lenore, ditto what Mady said. Also, being busy is a good thing; it keeps everything moving along.

Glad you both are interested in Anna Pigeon. I read Track of the Cat a couple of months ago so I look forward to hearing what you think of it, Mady. I'll announce my title after a trip to the used book store.

Cowgirl Creamery - how do you find these books? You really come up with some interesting stuff to read. I'm back in Petaluma right now for a week or 2 so it seems particularly apropos to me.

You might remember that my son in Florida is getting married next month. Now my daughter got engaged and they want to get married in September. I'm torn between the 2 coasts this year. I have an apartment in Florida, and now I'm hoping to find a Golden Girls set-up in the SF bay area so I can hop back and forth.

Happy reading!

Mary
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Your family is certainly keeping you busy.
    No genius here , the library sends updates of new additions. M
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamond Gals,
    Finally I have resurfaced refreshed and renewed. I went traveling to SC and down to central Florida. I read WILD;

AWESOME. I loved it. Yes how do you find such great books to read?? I got the new Nevada Barr book so I am kind of
    keeping up it seems.

I have alot of gardening to do as everything is in bloom here.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Dear L.
    Glad you are ready to roll!! Your travels sound like fun. Everything is in bloom here, too. I spent all of last week in the garden. My roses are spectacular right now.

Glad you had the time to read Wild. I, too, found the book amazing. I think if it were a novel I might not have believed the story.
    Nature is healing, inspiring and put Cheryl in the right direction. Guess I like journeys that end in a positive way.

I have my Nevada Barr book but have not started it yet.

Good Weekend Diamond Gals.
    M
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    OMG I finished my book, The Rope by Nevada Barr. DO NOT READ IT unless you want to
    read about really scary stuff. I finished it cuz I wanted to see what happened but it was depressing, sorry to say.
    Guess its my turn for May.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    How about "One of Us" or "Back Roads" by Tawni O'Dell for May!
  • mabug01
    Options
    L - I'm sorry The Rope was no good. I like scary but depressing isn't something I like to read. This was my 5th Nevada Barr book and I'm finding them a bit formulaic at this point. This time I chose "ill Wind" which is set in the Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. There's always a few things in the books that keep me coming back. For instance, she says:
    "When heart and breath quit clamoring in her ears, she listened. Concentration revealed sounds always present
    but seldom noted: the minute scratch of insect feet crossing sand, a whispered avian discussion high in the trees."
    I love the 'whispered avian discussion'. Also, in the middle of a dry discussion of the murder, she pauses and writes:
    "The sky was an impossible blue, a blue seen only on hot midwestern summer days and high in the mountains.
    Cornflower blue -- the phrase flickered through her mind, though she'd never seen a cornflower."
    I liked this because it's one of those pauses of the mind that act like a mini vacation we take when we don't want to think about what we're doing. So, I guess I'll continue with Nevada Barr but will take a break for awhile.

Both of the books you suggested sound good. Great job finding a new author for us. "One of Us" sounds a bit more intriguing but it's not available in my ebook store. It's a great excuse to find a bookstore. Unrelated, have you seen how many bookstores are closing down? It's such a shame.

I picked up my latest Barr book while I was driving through Tempe. I was also looking for a travel book and I saw A Guide to hiking the Pacific Coast Trail. I wanted to grab it immediately and start my own adventure. I refrained, but after I get a new knee, I want to hike that trail for a day or two.

Anyway, I'm in Florida now and the moving van dropped off my stuff last week, so I have a mish-mash of furniture and boxes obstructing passage through this little apartment. I'm doing lots of sidling through hallways and shifting boxes back and forth.

M - how is the Nevada Barr read going?

Mary
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Well My Dears,

I decided to read the first book in the series and got half way thru. I was liking it and so wanted to see how her story all began. Today I went to the library to renew it and found there was a wait list! I will have to pick it up later and finish it. Guess I am an April book dropout!

I don't usually like scary, grisly stories that depress but edge of your seat mysteries are okay. I agree M. her descriptive interludes are a vacation for the mind. And the aspect of learning about the parks sort of checks off the wanderlust in me. PCT- some of my friends have hiked parts of it and they loved Wild. I gave it to one of my friends and she then bought it for one of her friends and her friend then did the same. I know you will do it one day. I was thinking you were looking for a Petaluma place but you are in Florida. Busy lady!

L- I will check out the availability of the two books and get back to you quickly.
    Mady
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Read description of both books. I, agree, with Mary that One of Us seems more interesting. But it is not available and seems not to until summer. Back Roads is at my library. Don't know the author and someone new is always fun. M
  • mabug01
    Options
    It sounds like Back Roads for May, based on availability. I'm looking forward to trying out this new author.

Mady - Who would have thought that a book published 21 years ago would have a waiting list!!! I'm sorry you've been left hanging. I do recommend you finish it sometime because it reveals a side of Anna that you might not guess she has.....
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I know, I was surprised that it was not available. But there was only 1 book in the system. I have reordered the book. I will read it...the first book in a series always gives good character information.

I just finished the third book in the Julia Spencer-Fleming series. Clare and Rus have declared their love for each other...so you know I have ordered the fourth book.

L- Want to go with Back Roads for May?

Have a good day, Diamondettes.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I really liked that 3rd book. Now we are caught up with each other.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    oK now that its May and I have a minute to catch with the Diamond Gals; yes Back Roads sounds good. I will go look for it.
    Hope you are getting unpacked. It always a white before you feel settled

I also thought how fun it would be to do the Appalachian Trail for a few days with the Florida Trailblazers group that I go hiking with. A few people seem interested but nothing in the works yet.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Okay , I will order Back Roads.

Lenore- I would recommend reading = A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It is about the Appalachian Trail and his attempt to walk it. His writing is so funny.