Newbie!

Options
ravenmiss
ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
Hello ladies :)

I started SL 5x5 today with limited success.

I'm 34, weigh 234 pounds and am extremely out of shape, I haven't done any form of exercise for over 15 years. Started to do Zumba 5-6 days a week about a month ago and love it loads.

The bf started doing SL 5x5 and I certainly want in on the toning thing.

However I am a proper weakling, squats with just the standard bar (5kg/11 pound) was near impossible. So I carried on (he watches my form) just with my arms out and managed the 5x5 but I found it horrendously hard!

I am fine with bench presses and rows but squats are a nightmare. Anyway I have the following questions:

-Will this just come in time or is there anything else I can do?

-I keep reading at as I'm eating as a deficit (as I obv need to lose weight) that I won't gain muscle - so is there any point to me doing this?

-Do I need to change what I'm eating? The bf suggested more protein but how much more? (If any! MFP has it set to 113 which I easily hit).

Sorry for all the questions, I don't normally join groups or anything but feel I could do with the support. I've read over the FAQ and summary and found it all very helpful :)

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    In time, squats will get easier. Just keep at it

There is very much a point to lifting now. You'll retain your lean mass a lot better than cardio alone. and that means youll be a lot tighter as you loss weight. It shouldbhelp with loose skin too.

You should try to get 1g/lbm for protein if possible.
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    In time, squats will get easier. Just keep at it

There is very much a point to lifting now. You'll retain your lean mass a lot better than cardio alone. and that means youll be a lot tighter as you loss weight. It shouldbhelp with loose skin too.

You should try to get 1g/lbm for protein if possible.

Thank you! I've lost a lot of weight in the past with no exercise and was weak and flabby! Don't want that this time :)

Is LBM Lean Body Mass? If so, how do I work this out? I'm pretty sure my BF% is super high :/
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There are dfferent ways people calculate it.

What ive been doing is this:
    Weigh and measure myself.
    Go to fat2fitradio.com and use their BF calculator.
    Then use their BMR calculator to determine my calorie intake.
    But knowing your BF you cab find out lean body mass (llbm)
    The method I use is better described ina post in the main forum called "in place of a roadmap"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    -Will this just come in time or is there anything else I can do?

Yes this will come you could try goblet squats with dumbells (start small and work your way up to more weight and/or just do squats without the bar if that is more comfortable, that is how I started too)

-I keep reading at as I'm eating as a deficit (as I obv need to lose weight) that I won't gain muscle - so is there any point to me doing this?
    Yes this helps preserve your existing muscle along with getting in enough protien, along with building strength

-Do I need to change what I'm eating? The bf suggested more protein but how much more? (If any! MFP has it set to 113 which I easily hit).
    the suggestion is 1gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass. I aim for 120-130g

And welcome to the group. No worries about the questions all valid.
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the wonderful information and the warm welcome, it's all being taken onboard :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    On the muscle gain on a deficit, you may be one of the lucky ones in the Noob gains group who can be in a deficit and actually gain a small amount of muscle mass, despite a calorie deficit.

For one, you are untrained. This lends itself to a more likely gain in lean mass. Second point, you have a bit of weight to lose. This also aids in noob gains. Now, noob gains are not usually a substantial amount and the duration of the gains diminishes as you become better trained and lose more weight. You may get lucky and increase in a little muscle mass, but lifting will at a minimum help you maintain the muscle mass you do have.

And since I like to provide some reference to things:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

ETA: But yes, standard practice is that you are unlikely to gain any muscle mass while eating at a deficit.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome here :-)

About the squats: the others are right, they get easiert. The first couple of times they felt so strange and weird. My wrists hurt afterwards and my shoulders as well. But it got way better. I was just not used to this movement :-)
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Everyone already covered the bases.

WELCOME!!

I am fairly new week 3 I think? lol. This group has been great everyone is knowledgeable, friendly, and has achieved great things. Keep up the good work
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Thanks jstout, that's really interesting!

Thank you ladies for the welcomes! My legs absolutely wreck today! I am still going to do my Zumba though, it's a 20 min low intensity one just to keep moving/stretching as opposed to the usual full on 70min sweat-a-thon haha! :D
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a broken record because I've recommended the same thing over and over :laugh: but since you have questions about protein intake, etc... I was a total newbie and reading 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' really helped me understand the basics of weight lifting, specially for women. It was hard to keep up with all the articles and opinions I saw on weight lifting, but the book really opened my eyes and I've got an opinion of my own now.

I don't follow their workout routine because I always liked the simplicity of SL 5x5, but it's a good informational read for sure. Slow and steady, that's the key and remember: "It always seems impossible until its done." - Nelson Mandela

Welcome!
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Thanks! I have been considering buying it actually, gonna go get it now :)