New and trying to educate before starting Stronglifts 5x5

Options
eimaj5575
eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
When you start to do Stronglifts 5x5 and you have never really lifted before, at what weight do you start lifting? I am 5'3 121-123 pounds. Do i start with just the weight of the bar and go from there? How hard should it be to lift at first? I am completely clueless and really just trying to educate before I start any kind of lifting.

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Start with just the bar, no added weight plates (the bar is 45lbs). If it's easy, then add 2.5lbs to each side. Keep adding until you're comfortably struggling. lol. It may take a few tries to get to a good starting weight.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Begin with an empty barbell. If that's too heavy, I used progressively heavier dumbbells for a while until I was at the weight of the barbell. It might seem pretty easy for the first week or two (or even three if you are strong!), but as the weights get higher, it gets tougher and increasingly more exciting to watch the weight on the bar go up.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the responses. Im alittle nervous to start this new path. I have done cardio to lose all my weight and almost no weight training. So as you can imagine I have lost the weight but I am not tone at all. I will start with just the bar and go from there. Still have to research form and such. Thank you and I am looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar for OHP, bench, and row for sure. Squats I would say start with the bar and test the waters as far as starting weight goes. Since you are new to the movement, I would highly suggest just starting with the bar and focusing on form in the beginning. DL you can add some weight to....between 65 and 75 if you can manage should be fine. The weights will increase faster than you might expect.