Running too

Options
BarbSaxon
BarbSaxon Posts: 4 Member
Does anyone have any thoughts on running while on the Stronglifts program. I am an older runner (64) and do not wish to give it up. Am wondering if anyone else runs, and would you be running on the same day as strength training or in between?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Lots of people run and do SL. There are a few different conventions as to when to run with SL and it really depends on what your goals of adding SL are and how often you want to run.

I run, but I don't consider myself a runner since I keep it to short 2 mile runs or less. I typically run a mile directly after lifting since my reason for doing it is fat loss. I also box and will do other cardio work on non-lifting days.

Many people will lift one day and then run on the non-lifting days. It really is a matter of personal preference, but it isn't uncommon for people to do both.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I run on my off-days from lifting and haven't seen it impact either activity.

Depending on your goals, you may have to adjust either activity to achieve your goals.
    Like if running is more important to you, maybe less squats.
    If lifting is more important, maybe shorter runs

ETA: Here's a link from ETP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1091565-lifting-and-running
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually run a mile or two after lifting, just because I like to run.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I run too. I frequently run on off days because I find that it is harder to run after i lift even if i wait till the end of the day. I am also older (52) and I love that i can run again!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Currently I am doing both SL and a Running program (basic running intervals) I am doing to for fat loss- but I enjoy running- sometimes :wink: most times :laugh:

I am not as consistent with running as I am with SL now that I started lifting- but I do it at least 2x per week I try to get 3 though. Like I said I am not consistent so sometimes I do it days I lift sometimes I dont....
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always do something on my off days. I run, cycle, kayak, walk, garden, etc. I always "have" to do something. I get a lot of nervous energy if I don't. Sometimes I do 2 a days, but that is just me. I love exercise and have always been active.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love running. It's often the only thing standing between me and a crime spree. :laugh: But since I've really decided I want to lift heavy-heavy-HEAVY this time round in the gym (I've been lifting for 30 years, 5 years on, a couple off, on again...), I realize that probably this is not the best year to decide to do marathons. So I'm definitely running, but it's not the focus of my exercise regime, and it can be tossed to the side if need be.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just started running about six months agon and lifting around the first of the year. Right now I'm running 3-4 miles on non lift days and sometimes a mile after my lifts. Seems both are getting easier for me. I'm still at relatively low weight on my squats so that may change as I progress.