Hello!

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
Hoping someone pops on to this forum every now and again. :) I just started 5/3/1 yesterday. I've done variations of it in the past and was currently following my own routine, but I've stalled out on every major lift. Needed some structure, regression and something to work toward!

I'm following the program per the strstd.com website, with the periodization bible accessory work.

I just had a couple questions. First - the program requires three sets of warm-ups for the big lift; do I really need that many? Second - the last set on each of the big lifts says 5+ or 3+ ... should I go till failure? And third - I'm eating at a deficit and have quite a bit of fat to cut ... is anyone else on that road or are you all eating maintenance or above?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

First, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Wendler's book. It's pretty cheap for an e-book copy, and it'll answer your questions a little more easily than the forum will.

3 sets of warmup isn't a lot. I stick with that because if I skimp on the warmup the "real" lifts feel heavier. Normally I don't rest much at all between the warmup sets, rock out a set, add the weight to the bar and then hit the next set.

The 5+, 3+ and 1+ days are essentially to failure. I think in his book, Wendler says "While I'd never recommend someone go to failure, but the last set is supposed to be a ball buster" obviously be safe, and don't get yourself stuck under a bar while you're benching, or get stuck in the hole without a rack when you're squatting, but your last rep should be one you're barely able to complete while maintaining your form.

As for eating, I'm not actively tracking anymore. I've put on 10 lbs of mostly muscle over the past year on the program, but at this point I'm not tracking and my weight is sitting at a pretty comfortable level for me. I figure if I start getting too soft looking I can cut back the calories a bit, and I'm not all that upset if I gain another 10 lbs as long as I don't look soft (I'd gain 10 lbs tomorrow if it upped my dealdift by 50 lbs). I will say, with 10 extra lbs on me, my clothes don't fit any worse, so I'm not too worried about it.

So, its probably a personal preference. You'll make strength gains eating at a deficit on this program, but you won't build any new muscle.