Half Marathon Training Program

Options
What half marathon training program has been most successful for your goals? :smile:

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    train for a full so you can kick the 1/2's a**
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have used the Gazelle Girl or local Fifth-Third Riverbank run guides
  • amyjeanw84
    amyjeanw84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am using the Hal Higdon training schedule. Its a 12 weeks schedule and you can pick which one is right for you.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I went through a group half marathon training program to get to my first half. It was well worth it, as I learned a lot about training in general and how a half is different from a 10K. I also picked up a quite a bit about how a marathon is different from a half, because my pace group for long runs was full of marathon runners.

The half distance became much easier on race day after I started stretching the long runs to marathon training distance. At a guess, I'd say stretching the long runs to 16 miles makes the last 4 miles of a half much less mentally challenging than if your long run in training is only 13 miles. For my third half, I peaked out at 18 miles in training with several 16 mile long runs; and the last 4 miles of the half were no big deal, other than the valves on my water bottles freezing shut. But everyone had to deal with that.