Lesson Learned

Options
beckty
beckty Posts: 118 Member
Yesterday was bench day. I am at 80 lbs and I think I knew I was maxed out at rep 4 on my final set, but I tried for rep 5 w/out a spotter anyway. Yeah. No good. Caught some of the weight with my cheek bone and had to roll out from under it. Embarrassing!

Well, anyway, onward and upward. I now know when to push and when to call it good.

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Sorry you experienced this. Knowing the "maxed out' signs is usually something that needs a lesson or two. I would only be concerned that you were bringing the bar back down on a path that hit your face when you failed and that you were able to do that without hitting the bench arms. It is important that your head be protected by the bench arms during all parts of the lift. Not knowing how you set up for the lift, you may be too far down on the bench and need to move your body farther up so your shoulders are closer to the bar.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I learned a similar lesson a few years back. Thankfully I had a friend with me to help me unload it afterwars! I loaded up the hack squat machine thinking I could go 10lbs heavier than what I had been doing for the past couple of weeks. Nope. My feet slipped right out from under me and slammed my butt straight into the foot plate. I was more embarrassed than I was injured, but still, it was awful. Lesson learned? Don't go too heavy too quickly! I tend to get overly ambitious with my lifting. lol
  • beckty
    Options
    Sorry you experienced this. Knowing the "maxed out' signs is usually something that needs a lesson or two. I would only be concerned that you were bringing the bar back down on a path that hit your face when you failed and that you were able to do that without hitting the bench arms. It is important that your head be protected by the bench arms during all parts of the lift. Not knowing how you set up for the lift, you may be too far down on the bench and need to move your body farther up so your shoulders are closer to the bar.

I think I am positioned right. It didn't come straight down on my face. Would've landed on my chest but I realllllly tried hard to keep that from happening and the bar kind of drifted back at my face. Again, I didn't give up/give in when I should have. So it's not as bad as if it had come straight down on me.

My first inclination was to look about and see if anyone saw. :laugh:

live and learn. And also, I need to ask for a freaking spot if I need one!
  • beckty
    Options
    I learned a similar lesson a few years back. Thankfully I had a friend with me to help me unload it afterwars! I loaded up the hack squat machine thinking I could go 10lbs heavier than what I had been doing for the past couple of weeks. Nope. My feet slipped right out from under me and slammed my butt straight into the foot plate. I was more embarrassed than I was injured, but still, it was awful. Lesson learned? Don't go too heavy too quickly! I tend to get overly ambitious with my lifting. lol

I am going to have to watch myself for the overly ambitious thing too!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to watch myself for the overly ambitious thing too!
    It's hard not to! I get all pumped up and feeling like a badass after lifting and I eyeball the plates and think, "Oh yeah, I can TOTALLY add xxx lbs today!" :laugh:
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was bench day. I am at 80 lbs and I think I knew I was maxed out at rep 4 on my final set, but I tried for rep 5 w/out a spotter anyway. Yeah. No good. Caught some of the weight with my cheek bone and had to roll out from under it. Embarrassing!

Well, anyway, onward and upward. I now know when to push and when to call it good.

After a while that will be you rebel badass story or "compare liftiting ijuries"... oh yeah see this cheek?!.. 80lb barbell..
  • beckty
    Options

After a while that will be you rebel badass story or "compare liftiting ijuries"... oh yeah see this cheek?!.. 80lb barbell..

:laugh:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I think I am positioned right. It didn't come straight down on my face. Would've landed on my chest but I realllllly tried hard to keep that from happening and the bar kind of drifted back at my face. Again, I didn't give up/give in when I should have. So it's not as bad as if it had come straight down on me.

My first inclination was to look about and see if anyone saw. :laugh:

live and learn. And also, I need to ask for a freaking spot if I need one!

Okay, that makes more sense....Yeah, I've learned that when you fail, don't fight it, just try and fail safely. Lifting wounds and bruises are bad *kitten*, but I still rather not have them.

ETA: Says the person who is in a boxing class and will soon be getting her head smashed on........Logic!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    learned a similar lesson doing box jumps about 2 weeks ago. My lip and nose are still not fully healed >_< In my case it was trying to go too fast and not setting up properly but it's all similar in that you have to know when to push it and when to take a breath.

Luckily I have not failed on the bench once yet. I attribute it to doing push-ups to failure a lot previously and knowing when my arms won,t be able to grind it out. At least flopping to the ground is safer than dropping a bar xD

but please be careful! You don,t want to end up like the Klutzador Krash with many bruises and high risk of concussion *shakes head*