Drain Site, Contractions, Compression Tummy Band, etc.

Options
I have been reading a lot of what you have been sharing and picking up quite a bit, thank you! Now, however, you have my mind filled with questions...

Drainage site; I know there are 6 incisions, 7 if you have your gall bladder removed. I assume they put a tube in one of them to "drain," and it is removed before you go home, right so far? Did anybody have any problems, infections, scar tissue, etc?

Contractions; similar to after a baby is born? Does everyone have them? How long (days) do they last?

Compression Tummy (Velcro) Thing; this seems like it would be really hard to get on & off. Did many of you have this, go home with it? How long did you keep it on? Did it seem to help? Help what? It seems like it would just get soiled right away.

Gall Bladder; did any of you have this removed at the same time? Complications?

Lastly, nobody can give me a definite answer on this, but here goes... My surgery is scheduled for Wed. April 23rd - Yay! :smile: I have a class I should really attend on Sat. the 26th. That class only meets 7 times & that will be the 6th class; attendance is important! My college is 36 miles one way. I'm thinking of having someone drive me. If it where you, would you have been able to just sit in a chair, I'm pretty sure a computer chair, from 9 am - 12:30 pm? Be HONEST! Thanks! :yawn:

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I went in Wed am and did not leave hospital 'till 5 pm Friday. They kept giving me pain meds instead of the Tylenol I requested. After 2 days of making me sick they gave me 650 mg of Tylenol and I went home happy. I definitely needed the weekend to recover. Went back to work Monday, no problem. Didn't use abdominal binder, probably would have been nice, those 6 incisions with their sutures and steri strips tug and pull. I had no drain. Stomach contractions, for me, came on when I would get dehydrated. This still happens at 4 months out. All of a sudden stomach contractions and I know I am behind on water or food. You will know the night before the class if you will make it.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation except I am the professor. My surgeon will be out of town during my two week break between summer session and fall session. In the summer, I teach on Monday and Wednesday mornings. I'm thinking of having a Tuesday a.m. surgery, canceling class on Wed and returning the following Monday to teach. It's only a two hour class and I can have someone drive me if I'm not up for driving. My other option is a Monday morning surgery and teach a Friday morning class. I think it would easier to be a student because you don't have to talk the whole time and keep people engaged. Can you talk to your teacher ahead of time so you can walk around a little in the back if you need to?
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I went in on Monday at 7:00am, had my VSG with hernia repair and was released the next day. I had 4 incisions and no drains. I did not take any pain meds other than whatever they put in my IV in the very beginning. I drove myself to the store and did my grocery shopping that Friday and was fine. I went back to work at my desk job (computers) the middle of the next week. Sitting in a computer chair for a few hours within the first week MAY be doable for you. Everyone is different. I'd be more concerned with your getting yourself to the class as many folks are still on pain meds for the first week or more and walking a campus may seem like a marathon at that point. You probably will not know until they day of class whether you'll feel like you can do it. Good luck!
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I went in on 3/27 - Thursday morning - operated that day including a hiatal hernia and was released Saturday early evening. I had no pain just not enough sleep. no contractions - nothing like that - thank God.

My surgeon will not have me going back until he sees me which is the 14th. my third week. although I have a desk job - it was his decision, not mine.

I am fortunate not to have any pain or nausea. I've been losing weight each day. as of today 23 lbs. loss.

I am finding it hard to get protein in - luckily I have no hunger pains. but I know this is not a good thing. I need to get protein in.
  • platinum3karat
    platinum3karat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sleeved on 4/1 and also removed gall bladder. Was released on April 3rd. It seems like everything except for water makes me nausea. Pain was tolerable I got 5 incisions. No leaks and I guess they drain everything by u awake from surgery. I get my 75-80 grams of protein down but I'm really struggling not to vomit after I eat or drink anything. I only wish and hope it gets better because I am really regretting having this surgery.
  • Pearlsbabygirl
    Options
    Hi everyone who responded! I had my surgery and everything went so smoothly they said I should be the "poster girl" - not much pain, up and walking, no trouble with nausea in the hospital that the meds they put in my IV didn't take care of. I'm feeling pretty lucky, that is for sure.

I got so busy before the surgery, I didn't get online to respond earlier. I think I avoided the Vs Gers Group & Myfitnesspal in general just due to fear! If I didn't read what you all were writing, I wouldn't have to go through it??? But, I'm back... and I have more questions following up your responses:

Mangopickle: You said, "Stomach contractions, for me, came on when I would get dehydrated. This still happens at 4 months out." The contractions I read about; are those like little spasms? I'm not sure if I have had them - yet. :ohwell:

ATXHeather: Like everyone says, everybody is different. Yes, it is MUCH easier being the student, not having the eyes on me. If your surgery goes anything like mine, and I could sit down when I felt I needed to, as it is today I think I could see myself lecturing 6 days out. If you do a lot of hands on, running around in a smaller setting, plan a different format for the day. Monday surgery / Friday teach? Forget it. I didn't go to class today (9 am), not because my body couldn't handle it, but because my brain was still foggy on Friday. I figured, why ride 45 min., sit in class for 3 1/2 hrs., & ride 45 min. home if I am not comprehending anything. (I should have gone - my brain was clear, I wasn't prepared, however.) :huh:

bikrchk: Thanks for your response, too. I did have a ride arranged, even tho I haven't needed pain meds either. I'm surprised that I have hardly even needed Tylenol. I take half a dose before bed... (like I said - I'm lucky!) My question for you is... When can I RIDE??? I haven't asked the docs that yet, and I have no desire to hop on yet, but that day will come! I don't drive, just ride, but we only had one nice day before surgery. :glasses:

capcodegirl50: 23 pounds in 2 weeks!! WOW! That is great! That has to make any twinge of pain worth it, huh? Protein, I found EAS Myoplex choc fudge sugarfree shakes at Walmart for $10.97. They have 42 g. of protein, 1 g. sugar, 300 cal. in 17 oz.. Great for my 1st weeks.

platinum3kara: Oh, I feel for you with all that vomiting. I'm sure you have looked into some kind of meds to help? I would rather have pain! Has it gotten better since you wrote on the 13th? I sure hope so! :flowerforyou:

Again, thank you so much for helping to calm me... Answers for me... No drain site; I have some spasms when liquid first enters my stomach, but not contractions yet; I have the compression band that I am afraid to go without! It has become my security blanket, but I am sure I will lose that soon too (along with more weight!) Yay! :wink: