18yrs old...PCOS...7lbs from OBESITY..I tried everything

Options
cm1458
cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
Hi. I'm Carli. I'm 18 and I've lost over 130lbs total and am down about 75-80lbs from my MFP starting weight. I still live at home, I am a student...studying to be a registered dietitian. I have been plateaued or gaining for over a year. I've been stuck at 183-191lbs at 5'9 since october of 2014. I don't know exactly what is going on with my body. I have PCOS and have been to the two "best endocrinologists" in the state I live in. Each have told me that I am lying about the diet and lying about the exercise and that I am 7lbs from obesity. I've been nagged and fussed at by both of them and I have sent both of them a not so nice email that includes my diet and fitness regime for the last 6 months. I know most people DO lie. but when you've got someone in your office that is broken down after you've just told them how "fat" they are, is working their *kitten* off and not seeing a change in weight.... I'm pretty sure that's a sign they're really trying. They've both said my blood-work is PERFECT. nothing is too high or too low and they said it's better than the majority of Americans' blood-work.
I am trying to focus more on the way I look and feel than what the scale says but It's not moving and I'm having to buy bigger pants (I started a women's size 24...got down to an 8....now I'm back in a 12.). I have tried so hard. I've gone from 270 to 140 and now I'm back at about 190 for reasons unknown. I'm not eating anymore that i was at 140 and I'm exercising about the same amount, if not more (Jillian workout videos...30-60 min a day...don't have access or $$ to go to a gym)

There are no other "Endos" in the state and both have said there is nothing they can do to help me and have accused me of "watching tv and snacking without logging it" ....IF I EAT ONE M+M....IT'S LOGGED. of "not working out hard enough." I DO MY BEST every DAY. I don't know what else to do. please help. I would think that my progress so far would show that I mean business but they will not give any advice or help. I DONT drink soda. havent had one in 5yrs

Does anyone have any suggestions? My diary is open, I am on a reduced sodium diet, 1400cal at the moment. I was on 1600 but that didnt work so I tried 1800 and now im back at 1400 with nothing visual to show for any of my work.

29d50f8e-2b54-47b7-9f78-e73411886153_zps2796ee13.jpg

Replies

• teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I only have a minute, but I highly recommend a low carb high fat moderate protein change to your diet. Last April I was 183.2. I didn't change a thing, and worked out even harder, and was 200lbs this January. I was eating 150g of carbs a day and 1775 calories and it just didn't work. I changed to <50g of carbs and stayed at 1775 calories when I saw 200 lbs again and I was 184.6 today. It's the first time I have been actively losing this easily in a very long time.

I am on metformin and progesterone, but I started the diet before the meds and started losing weight right away. I lift weights 3x a week and run 2x a week, 30 mins each. If you've tried everything else, you really should read up on PCOS and Keto. I'll never go back. I've lost and regained this weight too much time, and I'm hoping the low carb diet helps me in the long run.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation of Metformin. My endocrinologist said all of my bloodwork was in the realm of normal, and some better than average, etc., but he knows that not everything is exactly linear. Since Metformin causes no permanent problems with managing and processing insulin, and aside from bowel related side effects (and possibly others I'm not aware of), "can't really hurt," so he suggested trying it. It has made such a difference in my alertness (I have a condition I coined "food narcolepsy" where I literally pass out/nod off after eating, no matter what, where, and only rarely affected by what I'm doing) and triggered some weight loss. I've been off my the low carbs he recommended due to finances at the moment, but he said 25% carbs, 35%-55% fat (lower for more loss), and the balance in protein (so 40%-25%)...and to get those carbs primarily from veggies and other natural sources - to bypass grains and sugars where possible, unless sprouted grains, etc. I'm currently attempting to rebound from my lull, so my progress isn't an awesome currently, but I've seen what this can do. I didn't take me long to level out with the medication as far as restroom complications, so I'd research it... Good luck!

Hugs,
    Another Carly (this on in OK)