Cadence/pace apps for Iphone??

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 679 Member
Do any of you have a favorite cadence or pace application for the Iphone that you would recommend? I currently use Nike+ Running to track my runs but would really like to add a cadence app that would help me learn to maintain a consistent speed. For some reason I have a nasty habit of getting faster as the run progresses and then have a difficult time getting back to a sustainable pace without the same issue recurring. I would love an app that would work over the top of Nike+ Running similar to the way 10KRunner does. Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I really like MiCoach by Adidas because you can custom build zone workouts based on pace. So you can set a 2 miles easy, 4 miles moderate, 2 miles easy, for example, and it will yell at you to speed up or slow down as you go through each zone. You can also do intervals etc. Very cool, and has definitely improved my training. The app doesnt have as many bells and whistles as some of the others, but zone training+tracking shoe miles put it over the top for me. Completely free too.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use iSmoothRun on my iPhone. It tracks my cadence and will tell me when I need to go faster/slower. I can build my own interval workouts by setting the speed/distance that I want and continue to add to that until I have my workout set up. I have yet to see a limit of the number of custom workouts I can build.I can also track the miles on my shoes just like in Nike+. The data from your run can be exported to email or to a variety of other apps. I export mine to MyFitnessPal and Nike+, but you can also export it to RunKeeper, Strava, MapMyRun, FitBit and there are others, but I can't remember right off. I've been using using this app since last fall, I think it was $2.99. I've never had any issues with the app. It's the only one I could find that would allow me to setup intervals.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Not sure cadence will help you. In general your cadence does not change much as you go faster, your stride lengthens
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    ^^Right.

technically your cadence shouldn't really change whether you're running a 10 minute mile or a 6 minute mile. Cadence apps should really just be used to help you get your cadence up near the 180 mark. Speed as a function of cadence is poor running form.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    iSmoothrun looks pretty sweet. Is it all in App on the phone? How hard is it to build workouts through the phone interface. I like having the MiCoach website to look at data, build workouts etc, but iSmoothRun has some cool extra features!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of using a heart rate monitor? That can keep you in a "sustainable zone."
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    iSmoothrun looks pretty sweet. Is it all in App on the phone? How hard is it to build workouts through the phone interface. I like having the MiCoach website to look at data, build workouts etc, but iSmoothRun has some cool extra features!

Unfortunately there's no website data/login for iSmoothRun. I'll have to check out MiCoach, sounds like a good app.
  • beeblebrox82
    Options
    I was looking at it this morning. Looks like it syncs with runkeeper and Dailymile, among others. This is the 1st app I've seen that has me seriously considering moving away from MiCoach. All the other running apps are all fluff and no function.