Head Winds

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
Does anything make running into a head wind any better. It feels like I have a parachute on some days!

Should I approach it like I would a hill and shorten my stride, lower my arms, and make my foot turnover quicker?

I know in the end, it's good for me, but goodness, it has been soo windy lately!

Thanks!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The only thing I try to do is manage the effort so that it's consistent with the intent of the workout. If it's an easy run, that means I'll end up slowing down to accommodate the potential increase in effort.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Should I approach it like I would a hill and shorten my stride, lower my arms, and make my foot turnover quicker?

That's what I do. I don't think I purposely treat it like a hill...it just happens, because it FEELS like running up a hill.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have found that headwinds are actually not as difficult as they seem at first. There is a psychological component to a headwind that exceeds the extra effort it takes to run into the wind. Because you feel the wind hitting your body, you begin to believe you are running faster than you really are, and you slow down more than you need to.

What works for me is to visualize running *through* the wind (like a fish swims through water) rather than *against* the wind (like a sail). I find when I'm able to think this way, the wind doesn't actually slow me down much if I give it the same amount of effort I would running with no wind.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to visualize running *through* the wind (like a fish swims through water) rather than *against* the wind (like a sail). I find when I'm able to think this way, the wind doesn't actually slow me down much if I give it the same amount of effort I would running with no wind.

awesome advice. thanks!
    the winds here are really bad somedays, but i am going to use this advice next time.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    You may think it silly but have you tried SMILING? Think of how a positive attitude helps with other stressful occasions you encounter in your daily life. Add in some positive self-talk and you will be laughing at the wind.

I live in Alaska and it is cold and windy for most of the year here and sometimes the only thing that gets me up the hill in a headwind is because I remembered to bring along my sense of humour. :tongue:
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    THANKS some good advice here!!!

Hills don't bother me and I do some pretty good sized ones over the interstates but the wind, goodness. I guess I need to make my mind set the same as when I am running up one of those big hills (I like those) and it will be better.

Mind over matter!