Runners High... Urban Myth or the Real Deal??!!!

Options
I recently watched a running movie and the lead runner talked about going out for a run and getting that 'Runners High' Well, I've been running for about 10 years, and yeah I'm not a beast out there, but I do a few 1/2 marathons a year. in all my running, I've never experienced that runners high. I mean, occasionally on a quiet trail a great song comes on my iPod and I'm in my groove, but no High. Am I just high resistant? Do I need to run some 100 miler to become delirious and get this mythical runners high? I mean, I am from colorado, so I could get high, but it's this runners high I'm wondering about..

So curious, you other runners enjoying this runners high periodically?? If so, is it as wonderful as the dude in the movie claims it to be?

'RunningLow'

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the runners high but there are times where I will zone out and then be surprised when I realize that I am still running. Whoa!

For me, I see my runner's high more as an after affect. It is in how I miss it on my rest days.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on your reaction to endorphins. I have many friends that haven't experienced a Runner's High...one of them being an ultra runner. I sometimes get one....it is becoming more and more rare as I become a more and more experienced runner.

I kind of picture Runner's High like catnip for people...some people react to it and other's don't.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    No real runner's "high." I just get a good pace going and love the sense of accomplishment once I am finished.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a runner's high is either. I've certainly had moments when everything seems to be clicking and the running is easy but I wouldn't call that a runner's high.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Errr... you don't literally don't get high...

Some people call it winds... It's just a point in your running where you can push a little more and you kinda zone out before going back to your normal speed.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    To me it is the feeling that one gets when stress leaves the body. This tends to happen when running in the bush with the sun on my back. Magic.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I get this sometimes from playing squash - you feel like you are in the zone, you can run the court effortlessly, anticipating where the ball will go, you're hitting the ball sweetly and it goes exactly where you want it to go. And there is a big smile on your face. And you feel great.

I haven't been running as long as I've been playing squash, but I sometimes feel I am approaching the zone on a run - you know when you're feeling light on your feet, your breathing is easy, and you feel like you could keep going for hours? I have minutes of that... And then I have to run up a hill!

I know that feeling is achievable, and I think I will get there for running, too, sometime soon.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Runner's high is real. But obviously not the same as smoking a joint. :laugh: It's more a overall feeling of well being, getting in "the zone" during a run where you feel like you could go forever. I have had the experience a couple times where I could feel the endorphin rush come on, it was like being covered with a warm blanket. If it wasn't real most people would not continue to run day after day.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Nope, no runner's high for me....

Actually, if anything, if I go into an altered state of consciousness, it's a good clue for me that I need to get some calories down fast. I've had a floaty, woozy feeling right before my blood sugar has crashed. Not good. I blacked out at the finish line of a marathon once after a couple of miles of, eh, being all weird in the head? Lucky for me though it was a trail marathon and I got a can of coke rather than a bunch of med tent melodrama.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have 2 scenerios...the first is that feeling of euphoria you get on some runs where everything is going right and you feel like you are floating and could keep going forever. It's rare, but it's happened to me a handful of times and I thoroughly enjoy it.

The second is what my husband classifies as runner's high (fwiw, he does not run). This is when I get home from a run and I am like the energizer bunny...i won't sit still and I talk 90 mph about nothing and basically drive him crazy--he says that for me, running is like crack...lol!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For me, the high is something I notice most when I'm not feeling it, like when I haven't been able to run for a while and I feel a sort of withdrawal. While running, the endorphines are usually in line with the discomfort I'm feeling and I just feel kind of normal.
  • nebraskalaska
    nebraskalaska Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had it quite a few times. Usually I get it in the summer, or after I've finished climbing a hill (or both). My head starts to get tingly and suddenly nothing hurts and running is completely effortless.

If you're interested in learning more about it Runner's World just had a good article on the science behind runner's high.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's the real deal. It one of the many reasons why I love to run. It's a great feeling. For me, it's when nothing hurts, the weather's perfect, I'm comfortable, and it feels effortless, like I could go on forever. I can still feel it after my run is over. Love it!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the runners high but there are times where I will zone out and then be surprised when I realize that I am still running. Whoa!

For me, I see my runner's high more as an after affect. It is in how I miss it on my rest days.

this is me as well. i'll zone out and realize a mile went by and i didn't even really notice where the time went.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've been running ten years as well and I've never experienced. That's not to say that it's not real. I've heard too many runners talk about it. But it just has not happened to me for whatever reason. I don't count the times where I've had a really good run or a nice split as having runners high. Maybe it is. Maybe being a teen in the 70's gave me enough experience with <cough> other forms of high that it just doesn't feel the same. :o)
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Runner's high is real. But obviously not the same as smoking a joint. :laugh: It's more a overall feeling of well being, getting in "the zone" during a run where you feel like you could go forever. I have had the experience a couple times where I could feel the endorphin rush come on, it was like being covered with a warm blanket. If it wasn't real most people would not continue to run day after day.

In that case, yes I have. It takes me a few miles to get to this point but I love it when i do!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have experienced it for several short times here and there. It feels like you can run forever.
    Unfortunately, the feeling doesn't last long enough. I lose it as soon as the wind blows, go uphill, etc. It's a nice feeling.