beginner

Options
mikkidixon
mikkidixon Posts: 12 Member
How long did you have to do it before you start getting better? I have been doing it for two weeks but cant keep it up that long? Plus I can only do it for about 5 mins before I am dying

Replies

• jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I started last summer. I can waist and hip hoop. I can keep it up for 30 minutes. It takes time with a lot of practice.
  • lajoliebaleine
    lajoliebaleine Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm also just beginning and was wondering the same thing. Today will be my third day. I would love to keep it up for 5 minutes straight. :) But alas I am only at around 1-2 minutes.

I would love to hear how long it took others to improve.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What kind of hoops are you all using? I started with a large hoop, which made it easy to master waist hooping.
  • lajoliebaleine
    Options
    I'm only 5' tall and overweight. My hoop stands about 4 inches above my belly button. The ID is 40", OD is 42". I made it a long time ago out of scrap tubing, I think it's 160psi (but not positive) and 1" and I used electrical tape to cover it. I was thinking about buying some materials including gaffer tape to make a new one. But not sure if I should keep trying this one first.

I'd like to try 3/4" 100psi, and still make it about the same height. Does that sound reasonable?

Does gaffer tape make a big difference over using electrical tape?

Thanks for any help.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Gaffer tape helps with grip, but it sounds like your hoop is nice and big. Just keep working at it, andppractice going in both directions. :)
  • lajoliebaleine
    Options
    Thanks for your help. It's funny you should mention going in both directions. Yesterday was the first day I was able to go in my non-dominant direction. And I did it for several minutes. Definitely makes it more fun!
  • mikkidixon
    mikkidixon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My hoop is large as well weight 4 lbs with foam