Garmin Foreruner 220

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
I asked this questions on the Fitness Forum, but just in case I dont get a response, I thought I would ask here as well.....

Since my runtastic app has decided to go crazy and post addional miles I never ran, a user suggested I ditch the app and get the watch. After reading all the favorable reviews it looks like this will work for me. I have a couple of questions for anyone that has this......

1. Should I buy with HRM?

2. Garmin website only shows 2 colors, black and red combo and white and violet. While I really like the "girl version" I wonder if the white will show dirt quickly or turn yellowish or gray due to sweat. Does anyone have the white? Is this material wipeable? I dont really want the black and red but its $249-$300 so I want to make sure it looks nice forever, not used and old after a couple months. I take pride in what I wear to work out, so this makes a difference in my decision :)

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Bump. Runtastic going nuts on me occasionally over the past week. Worst was today.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In for responses because I was just about to ask about the Garmin also.

I bought someone one of these as a Christmas gift for someone and they love it. I'd think that the HRM is a personal decision depending on if you like to train with one or not. I know that you can use it without the HRM if you want.

Adding to OP's question: I do some trail running and my phone app (Runmeter on a 4g iphone) regularly drops and miscalculates distance. Would the garmin be more reliable?
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It depends if you're looking simply for GPS tracking, or a bit more data with heart rate zone training. It's entirely usable without the HRM, but I love it with the extra data. I'm an engineer by trade, and I'm a huge nerd for the numbers. If I had purchased my garmin without the HRM, I would've ended up getting it anyway.
  • mitchyinge
    mitchyinge Posts: 196
    Options
    I have the 220 in 'grape' (it's stayed pretty clean but have only had it a couple of months) and I have a garmin HRM which I got separately - can't usually remember to use the HRM

the only thing I don't like about the 220 is that it is definitely primarily for running, which was fine when I could run but it's not so great for other sports like swimming and cycling and horse riding which I want to log to take my mind off feeling sorry for myself about not running
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't have the 220 but I can say that a dedicated GPS is going to be much more reliable than a smartphone app (I have the Garmin 910xt). That said, I occasionally still get a wonky run or lose a workout entirely. This was especially infuriating after I completed 50k out of an epic 50-mile trail run, only to lose the entire Garmin history.

For an exhaustive review of the 220, check here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-depth-review.html
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    the only thing I don't like about the 220 is that it is definitely primarily for running, which was fine when I could run but it's not so great for other sports like swimming and cycling and horse riding which I want to log to take my mind off feeling sorry for myself about not running
    The 620 is the multi-sport version of the 220; it also significantly more expensive.

As for the HR monitor, I would get the model with. You can buy one later if you decide you need it but it is cheaper as a bundle rather than getting each on it's own.

If you are not a hard-core runner you may want to consider the 210; it doesn't have all the super-cool fancy stuff but does everything most runners need and cost a lot less.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I asked this questions on the Fitness Forum, but just in case I dont get a response, I thought I would ask here as well.....

Since my runtastic app has decided to go crazy and post addional miles I never ran, a user suggested I ditch the app and get the watch. After reading all the favorable reviews it looks like this will work for me. I have a couple of questions for anyone that has this......

2. Garmin website only shows 2 colors, black and red combo and white and violet. While I really like the "girl version" I wonder if the white will show dirt quickly or turn yellowish or gray due to sweat. Does anyone have the white? Is this material wipeable? I dont really want the black and red but its $249-$300 so I want to make sure it looks nice forever, not used and old after a couple months. I take pride in what I wear to work out, so this makes a difference in my decision :)

Hi, that was me haha :)

I'd go with the HRM. Like DavidMartinez said it is cheaper with the bundle. It can provide useful data to include more precise calorie burns, effort, and improvement over time. As far as the coloring, you'd just have to read reviews. I haven't heard anyone complaining about discoloration, so I think you're safe. Just make sure to give it a rinse after use and maybe wash with handsoap now and then. I'm actually looking to upgrade to either the 220 or 620 myself and the dcrainmaker review is pretty awesome and thorough, as always. Take the time to read it before you invest the money. And also, if you relied on your phone for music as well, you'll need another means for that. I use an iPod Shuffle and it's actually more convenient to have the pushbuttons back vs futzing around with a touch screen strapped to my arm. Also, starting and viewing a watch GPS is so much more convenient than craning your arm around your neck to see, and then you have the sun and stuff too. Blech, I'll never go back!
  • ninav1980
    Options

Hi, that was me haha :)

I'd go with the HRM. Like DavidMartinez said it is cheaper with the bundle. It can provide useful data to include more precise calorie burns, effort, and improvement over time. As far as the coloring, you'd just have to read reviews. I haven't heard anyone complaining about discoloration, so I think you're safe. Just make sure to give it a rinse after use and maybe wash with handsoap now and then. I'm actually looking to upgrade to either the 220 or 620 myself and the dcrainmaker review is pretty awesome and thorough, as always. Take the time to read it before you invest the money. And also, if you relied on your phone for music as well, you'll need another means for that. I use an iPod Shuffle and it's actually more convenient to have the pushbuttons back vs futzing around with a touch screen strapped to my arm. Also, starting and viewing a watch GPS is so much more convenient than craning your arm around your neck to see, and then you have the sun and stuff too. Blech, I'll never go back!

lol, thanks for the suggestions! It really made me want the garmin. Its something I had been considering and my wacky app just sealed the deal. Although I don't run long distances now, I plan on it, so I think this watch is better equipped to help me reach my goals in the future. I will just go ahead with the HRM. Might as well, already spending a lot, whats another $50 :)
  • ninav1980
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone!

I noticed the 210 was cheaper, BUT, I am an admitted sheep when it comes to new products. Gotta have the latest and greatest. If I got the 210, I would always want the 220. Might as well just go for it :) excited to try this out!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how is 220's satellite reception on trails? I read 620 is awesome ... 620 doesn't just sit there figuring out "now what" if it doesn't get satellite connections ... it gets.

I'm almost one click away from buying 220.... Just waiting for someone to answer this question.... 220's catches reception in most difficult of places Yes? No?

BTW dcrainmaker review is worth looking into.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Why not try getting a second-hand Garmin on ebay?.....
  • ninav1980
    Options

because I am a snob and want my own nice new one :)
    hey, at least I am honest :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

The likelihood of getting screwed on eBay is very high, especially for an electronic device that could be DOA w/o a manufacturer's warranty backed up by a store receipt. And it's a colossal undertaking for the site to make things right, if they ever do.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how is 220's satellite reception on trails? I read 620 is awesome ... 620 doesn't just sit there figuring out "now what" if it doesn't get satellite connections ... it gets.

I'm almost one click away from buying 220.... Just waiting for someone to answer this question.... 220's catches reception in most difficult of places Yes? No?

My 620 has not been great on trails. Last weekend I ran a trail race and the 620 was 30 seconds slower on average pace vs the actual race timing. Whenever I get deep in the trees I see my pace start climbing to 11-13 min/mile and I'm like "yeah right." It seems to record distance OK and when I go back and look at the GPS track it doesn't look too wacky. So it makes me wonder what the heck is going on with pace. All they need to do is simply give us the option of getting pace from a footpod. Older Garmins did this.
  • runner475
    Options

My 620 has not been great on trails. Last weekend I ran a trail race and the 620 was 30 seconds slower on average pace vs the actual race timing. Whenever I get deep in the trees I see my pace start climbing to 11-13 min/mile and I'm like "yeah right." It seems to record distance OK and when I go back and look at the GPS track it doesn't look too wacky. So it makes me wonder what the heck is going on with pace. All they need to do is simply give us the option of getting pace from a footpod. Older Garmins did this.

AH- Ha!!! Thanks so much that was so much helpful!!
  • ninav1980
    Options
    Bump. Runtastic going nuts on me occasionally over the past week. Worst was today.

I know! I have used this app for maybe a year with no problems. I loved it ! But then it went crazy on me. It says I ran 8k's when I only ran 5k's. Oh and I ran a 3 minute mile the other day! I should be in the olympics! I missed my calling.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I just got the 220 not that long ago in the purple/white combination. Keeping it looking good hasn't really been an issue, but in the past I had the Forerunner 210 Grey/pink model and a lysol wipe was all it needed to just clean it up a bit again.

I bought the HRM separately, as I'm not sure if this is true with this model, but with the Forerunner 210, the HRM wasn't the nicer, premium strap that was soft all the way around. The HRM also will pair with other devices with the ant+ technology if you have anything else.

I really enjoy it, I also use this watch to measure caloric burn during my bootcamp classes and as far as I can tell it works just fine. I haven't tried it on trails yet, so I can't say how it will lock up satellite wise. I will say it seems to be way faster than the 210 was, but I do sometimes have trouble with the GPS if I'm moving from one state/country to another. (I went to London and Paris, used it there and it was great, but then it couldn't "find" the satellites again when I was back home in California, had to do a master reset. Same thing when I went from Las Vegas for a conference and came home. Just did another master reset.)

Overall I think it's worth the money and for me, I just can't justify the extra $150-200 for the "better" models with more bells and whistles that I'm not likely to actually use.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

The likelihood of getting screwed on eBay is very high, especially for an electronic device that could be DOA w/o a manufacturer's warranty backed up by a store receipt. And it's a colossal undertaking for the site to make things right, if they ever do.

This has not been my experience on Ebay at all. I have been a member since 1999 and have bought many electronic items there, including my first Garmin. It lasted about 3 or 4 years and was solid the entire time. Also, one very cool thing about Garmin, if you buy a used one and it breaks, they will usually replace it with a refurb unit of the same model for around $50.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have the 210 with the HRM. The 220 just seems like the newer, fancier version of this one.

Personally, I like it. The 210 is definitely a runner's watch as there's no toggle for other activities. I do use my 210 as just a generic HR monitor when I'm doing "other" stuff (cross-fit or if I'm in the gym on the dreadmill because of weather).

There's only 2 issues I have with my Garmin. First, it seems like my Garmin is taking longer and longer to lock on satellites lately. A hard refresh seems to fix this in the short term. Just annoying to stand there staring at the watch while waiting to start a run.

And I really just don't like the clip-on charging/computer interface. I know they can't do a micro USB port because of both size and keeping it waterproof, but the pogo-pin clip-on thing...eh... The website for the 220 says it auto-syncs, I'm guessing through wifi, but the power connection may be the same annoying interface.
  • runner475
    Options

This has not been my experience on Ebay at all. I have been a member since 1999 and have bought many electronic items there, including my first Garmin. It lasted about 3 or 4 years and was solid the entire time. Also, one very cool thing about Garmin, if you buy a used one and it breaks, they will usually replace it with a refurb unit of the same model for around $50.

My husband swears by e-bay. Yesterday we talked about Garmin 220 and he immediately ran to e-bay to check the price.

I jus' forwarded him Doug's opinion about e-bay with screen shot and what not. I guess I now have to forward Carson's jus' so it's fair game at home and no cheating.

I'm probably going to hear "I told you..." today evening.