Help

Options
I had surgery two weeks ago and have lost 20 lbs. I am so tired and no energy at all. I am trying to drink my
Protine shakes but it's hard I'm so full. Help I need to be up
And about.

Replies

• Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    you have had MAJOR surgery. Your body is healing. Healing takes TONS of energy. Being tired two weeks out is completely normal. I remember being up for 2 or 3 hours and just crashing for a 1 to 2 hour nap several times a day. If your surgeon performed via laproscopic surgery your wounds are visible to you...but I assure you, they are there.

Give yourself a break. Rest when you are tired.
  • nerdiebutter
    Options
    I am 5 weeks out tomorrow and I am still exhausted, it is definitely normal. From research and what the doctors say, you can be exhausted even up to 3 months out. Just do what you can. Get some exercise and then nap if you have to.
  • bethanydieringer3
    Options
    Hello, I had the RNY 9 weeks ago. It does seem like doing the littlest things like tilling my garden takes a WHOLE lot of energy. Today it took me all day to till half of my huge garden, but I felt as though I had to stop every 10-15 min to sit down & drink something.
    My question how many calories are you supposed to consume per day? I've been told about the protein but what about calories? Today I was able to get my 40 gms of protein in but with working in my garden for 2 hrs I burned up all the calories i consumed, according to MFP I have a negative 200 calorie count.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had the RNY 9 weeks ago. It does seem like doing the littlest things like tilling my garden takes a WHOLE lot of energy. Today it took me all day to till half of my huge garden, but I felt as though I had to stop every 10-15 min to sit down & drink something.
    My question how many calories are you supposed to consume per day? I've been told about the protein but what about calories? Today I was able to get my 40 gms of protein in but with working in my garden for 2 hrs I burned up all the calories i consumed, according to MFP I have a negative 200 calorie count.

While I was losing, I was in the negative numbers on MFP every day. Don't worry about that.

40 grams of protein is low. Every program is a little different, but most seem to say 60-70 grams of protein and around 800 calories.
  • bethanydieringer3
    Options
    I"m working my way up to the next level of protein. Will have my next check & weigh in, in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be moved up to the next level of of 50-60 gm of protein per day. Some days I do go and others i'm struggling to eat and drink to get it in.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    From the start my surgical team wanted me getting about 50 or 60 gm of protein from supplements alone. I was doing three protein shakes a day straight from about day 3 or 4 post surgery. Doesn't matter how long it takes, you need to get that protein in! I would sip at mine for about an hour or so before I would finish 6 oz of it.
  • lwacholz
    lwacholz Posts: 2
    Options
    I was told to get a minimum of 70 g of protein in per day, so you might want to check your requirements with your surgeon. For calories, I was told between 800 and 1200 (gross, not adjusted for exercise). On days when I manage a lot of activity, I get closer to 1200. On not so active days, I barely do 800 calories.