Stronglifts or Starting Strength?

Options
willow_rb
willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
I'm planning on starting my strength training next week. I am a little confused between the 2 programs Stronglifts and Starting Strength. They seem similar except for the powercleans in Starting Strength.

I am planning on having a trainer checking my form no matter which program I start.

Which one should I start doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    If you want to do power cleans, choose Starting Strength. If not, do Stronglifts. I don't have a trainer/coach/mentor that I trust to teach me power cleans and I'm too scared to try them on my own, so I do Stronglifts. Both programs are good, beginner programs, so it really boils down to what you prefer to do.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd personally do Starting Strength simply because I cannot stand Mehdi!

But seriously...

Starting Strength would be my preference because if you're "true" to the program it's acceptable to add things like Chin Ups, plus as mentioned, a power move like Power Cleans is part of the program (power is an important factor in strength training).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I chose SL because power cleans scare me to death...

I will eventually try them..maybe...
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many people over on the main forums say power cleans aren't really a beginner move. Not sure if it's true or not, but they look a little complicated to me. I'd like to try them someday, but only with someone who knows what they're doing watching.