Completed my first SL 5x5 workout

Options
eimaj5575
eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
I am new to starting to lift and tonight I just completed my first full SL 5x5 workout. I am start lighter with 45 and 65 lbs just to have a starting point. I felt like I could go higher but I want to take it slow. What I am wondering is as the weights go up with it feel more like a workout? I am used to long runs and some HIIT and by the end I am exhausted and soaked from sweat. However even with a short run and then SL 5x5 it doesn't feel like I did much. Does it usually feel like that or is it just bc I am using light weights? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just don't feel like I did enough.

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! And yes, as your working weight increases, it will probably take you longer to complete. For me, it takes longer because I need more resting time between sets.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I felt the same when I started with light weights. I started light to really get the form down (and for my squat rack to go on sale). Now that I'm at higher weights I feel it a lot when I'm done.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it too much immediately after I work out either, but the next day is rough lol
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Early on it may not feel like much work, but by the time you get into the heavier weights where you need longer rests and can just get 5 reps in each set, you will feel like you are working more. Lately, I am dripping sweat on the first set of squats.

You can always add some cardio, complexes, or HIIT to the end of the session to get the workout you are used to. Just listen to your body and don't push too far.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I just got finished with my workout last night feeling good about doing it but not feeling like I had done much. I have just been so nervous about cutting my cardio and uping my calories.But then again nothing will change if you keep doing the same things that are giving you the same results. Lifting is just so foreign to me so it is nice to have the support from you guys. Thank you! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Even now I don't often "feel" it after my workout...about 3 hours later...I always feel it in my butt...

Tuesday after my A workout on Monday (benches) I moved a certian way and felt it a bit in my arms (benched 110)...but nothing serious.

DOMS, sweat etc is not the best indicator of a good workout....just keep upping the weight and you will see the difference even if you never feel it.

And welcome to the group.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    YES. I remember when I started, I was thinking "That's it??" And now I'm pooped when I'm done. Trust me, as the weight increases it will get much harder and feel more like a workout.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am at heavy-for-me weights and it is exhausting and I am working *hard* but I never feel like you would after a HIIT workout. Its just different. I really only sweat a lot with deadlifts.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I just started myself. I've been adding warmup reps to help with my progression. I'm excited and I love it so far. I did it 3 days last week and while I could feel it a little, it is a lot different than a cardio/HIIT workout, and so it wouldn't feel like you worked out as hard. But you did, if not worked out harder. I haven't quite hit the DOMS like I see my friends post about, but I think it's because I just started and my muscles can handle the weight I'm using.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    I did my second full SL 5x5 workout on Saturday and I upped my weights alittle. This did feel like a workout. Not in a sweaty exhusting way but in a muscle burn and pushing myself way. Thank you for all your input. I can see this will feel more of a workout as I go up in weights. When I began my weightloss journey I started to run and eventually obtained a runners high where I am in love with running. I am starting to feel the same way about lifting. Maybe a lifting high? lol Idk but its awesome and I am getting excited about my new workouts. Now just gotta work off my Easter day pig out. :)
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I just did my first SL workout tonight. I have been doing cross fit for two months now and that has introduced me to lifting free weights and I have done machines for a year. So now I do CF 3 days a week and SL 3 other days and a rest day. I just didn't feel like 3 days a week was enough for me. Maybe I will change my mind once the weight gets really heavy in the SL workouts. I am excited about losing more fat and gaining more muscle! Good luck to you all as well!