How many calories once your baby is born?

Options
DawnieB1977
DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
My baby is due Sun (although I expect her to be late as my other two were) and I was wondering what my calorie goal should be. I'm not sure if I'll feel like logging for the first few days, but I want to get back to it quite quickly.

I'm 5'6 and started this pregnancy at 154lbs. I've no idea how much I've gained - I'm in England and we don't get weighed after 12 weeks. I'd rather not know lol.

I've been aiming for 2000 calories for the third trimester, which puts me slightly under maintenance. Some days I have gone over, some days I haven't logged as I've been super hungry, some days I've been under, and some days I've eaten something in the evening after I've logged, but usually something like a bowl of cornflakes or an apple and peanut butter. I exercised up to 38 weeks, and now I've just been going for walks, and looking after my 2 and 4 year old.

I was thinking of keeping my goal at 2000 calories. I plan on breastfeeding, and know i'll need the calories. I had to formula feed my first child as he lost too much weight in his first few days (7lbs13 down to 6lbs7) and I made the mistake then of dieting immediately and wonder if that's why he lost weight.

Replies

• marleylouhou
    marleylouhou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always added 500 calories a day if I was breastfeeding full time. Actually I even think there is an 'excersize' that is breastfeeding and if you add that to you day it automatically gives you about 500 calories.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, its actually under the food options! (Weird, right?!) And it will subtract 500 calories. I wouldn't even count the first few weeks while your supply is getting established. Just make sure you're getting the right stuff...oatmeal, eggs, fruits and veggies, dairy, TONS of water! Drinking enough water will really help your supply! (So will oatmeal and the occasional beer! lol ) If you DO keep track and find you're starving, add back more calories. It would be better to lose at a slower rate, making sure you're getting all the nutrients you need and enough calories to make good milk! :) I'm excited for you! Good luck on your nursing journey! (And it might help to remember, too, that a baby's stomach is no bigger than a walnut at first. It only takes a tiny amount of milk to fill it up, which is why they eat so frequently. But you should definitely have whatever milk she needs! Some babies just gain slower than others at first.)
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think 2000 is a good goal and you could even go up to 2200 or 2300 especially at first. Then later once your milk supply is well established after 4 months or so you could occasionally go a little lower but I wouldn't go under 1800 a day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! As predicted, I am now 2 days overdue.....

I think I'll aim for 2000 initially and then eat more if I'm still hungry.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I went with maintenance, adding breastfeeding to my food diary (-500), until I was sure of my milk supply, (about a month), then changed down to lose half a pound a week. Although, I often lose more in a week and think I could increase bf calories by a hundred a day.