Protein mixed with just water?

ATXHeather
ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
Hi All!

I am experimenting with different protein powders. I think I am good on the pre-made protein drinks and protein powders to add to smoothies (almond milk and a half of a banana). BUT, I think everything I mix with just plain water is disgusting. I am trying to swallow down a Nectar Grape, which I thought would do the trick, but it is full of all these little chunks and it is all foamy. I tried stirring first but it all clumped on the spoon so then I put it in a shaker and it got all foamy. I thought I got the chunks out but I get some with every sip. It's gross.

Please give me some recommendations on protein that can be mixed with just water. My doc has two weeks of clear fluids with protein for the first two weeks so I need to find something that I can tolerate. I've already accepted that it will probably be full of artificial sweeteners and colors but whatever works at this point.

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I haven't tried a mix with water, but I do make mine with 8 ounces of milk, add a scoop of powder, stir, add 8 ounces of water and shake. I want the full 16 ounces when using it as a meal replacement, but I want to keep the calories down. But there is a protein drink you can buy at GNC, and I really wish I could remember the name of it. Each bottle has like 50+ grams of protein, it's made with water and tastes like Jolly ranchers. You can actually see through it even with the color. This counts as water intake as well. Obviously I haven't bought any in a long time, but it's really good. Hope that helps.
  • ATXHeather
    Thanks! I don't mind the protein when I can mix it with milk or almond milk and I like the Costco Premier Pre-made ones. But, my doctor won't let me have those until Week 3 after surgery. The first two weeks has to be clear-liquid protein only. I need to try IsoPure Plus pre-made drinks. My guess is they won't have chunks. The Nectar Grape would have been okay if there weren't any chunks. But, chunks...ewww.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I drank the Isopure for the first two weeks, it's clear and not lumpy at all, and it was what my surgeon has all of his patients drink. It comes in lots of flavors too. It will do the trick!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I do Nectar Iced Lemon Tea and yes, it foams, (I think all the Nectar products do that), but if you mix in the shaker and then add ice and let it sit for 5 minutes it's MUCH better.
  • ATXHeather
    I drank the Isopure for the first two weeks, it's clear and not lumpy at all, and it was what my surgeon has all of his patients drink. It comes in lots of flavors too. It will do the trick!

I hope these do the trick! I will try to find some over the next week so I can try them out. Where do I buy these? A regular grocery store or should I got to Vitamin Shoppe?
  • ATXHeather
    I do Nectar Iced Lemon Tea and yes, it foams, (I think all the Nectar products do that), but if you mix in the shaker and then add ice and let it sit for 5 minutes it's MUCH better.

I didn't mind the foam so much, it was the chunks. Maybe I made it wrong? I put the powder in a bottom of a cup, added some cold water from my fridge dispenser, tried stirring it but that didn't work, so put a top on it and shook it really well. I think I could do the Nectar if I could get rid of the lumps.
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Hmm..I use Nectar Roadside Lemonade and don't find that it chunks at all. I put it in a glass with water from the tap and stir it with a spoon. Then I add the ice to chill it down. Perhaps the water from the dispenser is too cold? I do not like to shake them as I don't enjoy the foam. I find when I stir it I don't have any problems with it.

Just a thought...I'd steer clear of putting bananas in your protein shakes. There really is no benefit from the banana besides flavour I guess but lots of natural sugars and carbs that you might want to stay away from for a while.

Good luck finding a protein you like.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member

I hope these do the trick! I will try to find some over the next week so I can try them out. Where do I buy these? A regular grocery store or should I got to Vitamin Shoppe?
    Vitamin Shoppe has them I believe. I got them in the pharmacy at my surgeon's office building, they offered a discount to his patients. I liked the green one best, I forget the flavor, but they were all pretty good.

ETA - Amazon has them too.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member

I didn't mind the foam so much, it was the chunks. Maybe I made it wrong? I put the powder in a bottom of a cup, added some cold water from my fridge dispenser, tried stirring it but that didn't work, so put a top on it and shook it really well. I think I could do the Nectar if I could get rid of the lumps.

Do it the other way around. Put the water in, then the powder. Shake the crap out of it, then let it sit for a few minutes for the foam to go away. This is how I make my nectar, and I have NEVER had clumps in mine. It always blends SO nice.
    I'm guessing yours didn't blend because the powder was on the bottom, and it stuck to the bottom of the bottle.
    Also, make sure you use an actual shaker specifically for mixing protein drinks. I don't think it will mix as nice in just a cup with a top.
    I use a "blender bottle" with the little wire ball in it. I bought it at target in the "fitness" section. You can also get them at nutrition stores like GNC

I also like the nectar with more water. I use 12oz, and pour it over ice.
  • ATXHeather

Do it the other way around. Put the water in, then the powder. Shake the crap out of it, then let it sit for a few minutes for the foam to go away. This is how I make my nectar, and I have NEVER had clumps in mine. It always blends SO nice.
    I'm guessing yours didn't blend because the powder was on the bottom, and it stuck to the bottom of the bottle.
    Also, make sure you use an actual shaker specifically for mixing protein drinks. I don't think it will mix as nice in just a cup with a top.
    I use a "blender bottle" with the little wire ball in it. I bought it at target in the "fitness" section. You can also get them at nutrition stores like GNC

Thanks for this! I just did a half packet of carribean cooler in about a half a glass of water. I used tap water and then added the powder. I just stirred it with a fork and there no clumps. Then I poured over ice. And it's not disgusting!!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Someone above said they liked nectar with more water, but I am the opposite - I use the Nectar grape scoop in only 3-4 oz water, or 2 scoops in 5-6... Its like a little stronger grape koolaid to me, and since it takes me forever to drink even 8 oz, I think of these like a quick "shot" glass :) Easy, and 24-48g protein in a shot!

And I also use a blender ball and shake, let sit for a few min - no clumps or foam then.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member

Thanks for this! I just did a half packet of carribean cooler in about a half a glass of water. I used tap water and then added the powder. I just stirred it with a fork and there no clumps. Then I poured over ice. And it's not disgusting!!

"And it's not disgusting!!"

HAHA That made me laugh!!! Not disgusting is always good! LOL
  • I use Isopure Dutch Chocolate mixed with water in a shaker cup. It works out very well and not lumpy at all.