Starting with Dumbbells?

fireytiger
fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
Hey all, I've just started trying to do stronglifts 5x5, and I was just curious for some "expert" opinions. :) I have a gym membership that has a squat rack, and lots of equipment, but I can't work with the 45lb empty bar. It's simply too heavy for me. I can, however, use the large selection of dumbbells they have. I can currently pick up and kindasorta do something with two 20lb dumbbells, but I'm thinking of just starting with the 2 15's and move my way up until I can use the barbell. Is that okay to do? Thanks! :)

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    I'm not an expert, but yes, you can begin with dumbbells! For squats, even better would be a fixed weight barbell (one of those smaller ones with two little plates stuck on the sides), if they have one. You can also do goblet squats with either kettlebell or dumbbell to strengthen yourself.

Beginning with the lighter weights can help you nail down form. Just be careful to be very strict with form (watch lots of YouTube videos); I found it easy to wiggle around a little under the dumbbells for stuff like the bench press and especially the overhead press, so don't give in to the wiggles.

That empty bar will be too light in no time. I remember the first time I was able to warm up with the empty bar; I felt like an Amazon!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    That is more than okay, that is a great way to start when the bar isn't possible. Dumbbells will actually be harder than just the bar because you will need to focus a bit more energy on single arm stabilization versus having a long connection between both arms.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I'd probably pick up a heavier, single dumbbell and do goblet squats (less awkward). But 2 dumbbells with the rest is a fine plan.

The overhead presses is what got me, so yeah, starting with dumbbells is a great plan. Once you think you can move up from 40 you should be able to do it with the barbell.

If you can't do the 5 reps with the 20s then pump out as many sets as you can with the 15s.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Thank you ladies!! I actually was able to do my squats with the empty bar today, which thrilled me :D I am still struggling with overhead presses, I thought I could swing using two 20lb dumbbells, but I failed to complete one of my sets with them, so I'll be doing that weight again next time. I'm enjoying it so far, my main concern was if I was doing it right starting with dumbbells. We do have those fixed weight barbells at my gym as well, I hadn't even considered using those. I might give that a try :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I stared with 20 lb fixed barbells. (The lowest weight at the gym lol)
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    This is very helpful!

I'm new to 5x5, kinda started on Saturday at a friend's gym. She has been lifting for a while and was showing me the ropes. We were mostly using the smaller barbells. When I went to my gym yesterday all set for my first official workout... I had the same problem as the original poster. No barbells other than the BIG bar and a weight rack. I think that I *can* bench the bar, but as a newbie, I didn't want to try it without anyone there to spot. I used the machines that I felt most simulated the exercises (which just felt stupid) until the bent rows when this voice in my head said, "Use the dumbbells, idiot!"

I've been thinking about it ever since, and wondering if dumbbells would work until I either get my own weights for home, or graduate to the big girl bar (or switch gyms).

Guess I found an answer!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    There are lots of videos on YouTube that show how to use dumbbells for the different lifts. Sometimes it feels awkward using them, so videos might help.

Welcome and good luck!
  • Hi Gals,

This is a very helpful board, I`m so happy i found it. I just started lifting too (using 15lb dumbbells), I was wondering if it is normal to feel the 5x5 exercises in your lower back ,almost like a tight feeling? I injured my lower back in a horse riding accident a couple years ago, so I want to take this as slow and steady as possible but also what to see results for my effort. Sorry if this a little off topic.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I'm not an expert, but yes, you can begin with dumbbells! For squats, even better would be a fixed weight barbell (one of those smaller ones with two little plates stuck on the sides), if they have one.
    Totally agree!
    dumbbels are Ok, but i find them more wobbly than barbell. Most people have one side that significantly stronger than the other and using barbell it equals out, but not with dumbbell.
    I am using those fixed weight barbells for overhead press even now at 65 lb. I just find them way easier to balance because they are shorter than the olympic bar.
    Not to mention people can get around you easier if you don't hold a very long oly bar in your hand. I often work out at the evening when the weight room is crowded, and I doing OHP with olympic bar would take up so much space that people might bump into it.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    I started Stronglifts about a month ago (so no expert here) and I only have access to dumbbells. I saved these form videos on my phone and viewed them before each exercise at first and on a regular basis when I have form questions. The only video for dead lifts was straight leg and I really don't care for that form.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSquat.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBShoulderPress.html

I also use the StrongLifts app to track my weight progress and keep a history of my lifting. I am really enjoying this lifting program. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I out grow the dumbbells though.
  • holliehatesyou
    Thanks for those!

Couple questions, though...Do you do your bent rows that way, one arm at a time? And your overhead presses seated?
  • holliehatesyou
    Thanks.

Gonna go give it a try all with dumbbells today at lunch. Hopefully the gym won't be as crowded as it was on Monday at lunch.
  • bkbenda
    .Do you do your bent rows that way, one arm at a time? Yes.

And your overhead presses seated? Thanks for the input amyrebeccah. It makes sense to stand for these. I've done it a few times that way when the bench was not available but I will switch to standing on the ohp.

Good luck today holliehatesyo!
  • holliehatesyou
    Ohhhkay. Well that was interesting.

My gym only has a Smith machine, and there was a guy just kinda hanging out in it. I've never used it (only a squat rack at the other gym), so I wasn't too upset. I did goblet squats with a 35 lb dumbbell, but feel like I could've done two 20s or 25s instead.

I went to move on to bench press, using the dumbbells, but the rascally guy who'd been hanging out in the Smith machine suddenly moved over to the dumbbells and grabbed up the 20s. So then I decided that, ah, screw it, I could lift the bar. So I benched the bar. (personal WHOO! because I couldn't do it last time I tried)

I used the bar and added on 5lbs for the rows.

The only thing -- there was a personal trainer there working with some middle school-aged kids, I believe they were mildly special needs. He was kind of teasing them, but not in a mean way -- they were laughing. But then he started yelling at ME. He told me to stop looking at my phone (I was using the 5x5 app), and then told me I should never do bench presses. That no one should ever do bench presses. He kind of put me on the spot, telling me bench presses would never do me any good, so why do them? All I could say was, "Uhh. It's part of the program I'm doing?" He said something like, "When people work out, they should always ask themselves why they're doing what they're doing -- there's no reason to do bench presses."

But really -- didn't go in asking for unsolicited advice. I mean, I've been reading everything I could find about this -- and a rando thinks I'm going to drop it all just because he says not to do it? URGH. I wasn't super mad then, but I kinda am now.
  • bkbenda
    @holliehatesyo - Congrats on lifting the bar with extra weight. Sorry you had to experience the rude individual. Stay focused on your plan and only modify when/if you want. I'm always interested in learning new and better ways of doing things and it sounds like you are too but his disrespect was not necessary. Use that "mad energy" toward a good workout!

I've read mixed reviews by other MFP members on the use of the Smith machine. I don't have an opinion on it because I don't even know what it is but if you are considering using it, I would do some research. (Not trying to tell you what to do, like the personal trainer. LOL - Just want to give you some information to form your own opinion. Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do, not my place to judge.)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Bump for reference. As I am forced to cut my gym time down and use my dumbbells at home. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: