Insulin resistance?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
From what you all have learned in researching IR and especially as it relates to PCOS, how accurate does this article seem to be?

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/insulin-resistance-syndrome

Have your drs given you other guidelines for assessing whether you have the insulin-resistant type of PCOS?

Like I just mentioned in another post, I had assumed I have IR since I have PCOS and previously had prediabetes (and worry about it coming back) but according to this, maybe not? Or maybe I reversed it when I reversed the prediabetes, if that's possible?

Going through webMD's IR symptoms:

There is no simple test to diagnose insulin resistance syndrome. Rather, your doctor may suspect the syndrome if you have three of the following:

A waist size of 40 inches or more in men and 35 inches or more in women -- Depends on where you measure it. Natural waist is 29"; belly button level is 35-36".

Increased levels of triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood)--They dropped from 217 (when I had prediabetes) to 52.

Low HDL, or "good," cholesterol level (Less than 40 mg/dL for men and 50 mg/dL for women)--Mine's around 62.

High blood pressure of 130/85 or higher, or being treated for high blood pressure--Mine's usually 90-something over 60-something.

Fasting blood glucose levels of 100 mg/dL or above, or being treated for diabetes-- Was 107 2.5 years ago when I had prediabetes; has been around 80-85 when tested since then.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can get a Fasting Insulin Level test, that's how my dr dx me with insulin resistance. It tests the level of insulin in your body after you've fasted for 12 hours. If its still high, then it shows your body is resisting the insulin and its still just sitting there, waiting to be used.

Its different than a glucose test. My glucose is fine, my A1-C is fine, my insulin is thru the roof.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My doctor always said my blood results were pretty borderline so to err on the side of caution and consider myself to have it. I take Metformin and it has helped to regulate my cycles (went from no periods in seven months to getting on every four or five weeks and my hair loss slowed down to a normal rate). Since the cycles and the hair loss were the two main symptoms I worry about, I consider the Metformin successful.
    Interestingly, aside from the waist circumference, I don't fit any of the other criteria there. I have very low triglycerides and my HDL is so high that it made my overall cholesterol "high" even though my LDL is very low. (Doctor said not to worry about it!). Blood pressure is always good, even when I was pregnant.
    I did have gestational diabetes during my most recent pregnancy but it was controlled by diet and exercise.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've found WebMD to be of limited use of late. Either their information is way off base, or it's so vague and generic as to be useless. This article isn't much different.

Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome are two different things. Insulin resistance is just that - insulin resistance. Metabolic syndrome is what they're describing. They're often comorbids (because most people with insulin resistance do have metabolic syndrome, and the underlying cause is often diet/lifestyle), but not always (such as those with a different condition causing the insulin resistance).

In short, metabolic syndrome can include insulin resistance, but insulin resistance does not necessarily mean you have metabolic syndrome.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Thank you!
    When I see my new PCP I'll see if she can test my insulin levels since I don't believe those have ever been tested.