Advice for a newbie?

Options
Hi, all!

I've been doing Leslie's Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan for awhile now and want to try something else. I saw there's something for intermediate/advanced and was wondering if that would be a more intense workout than my current DVD. I haven't tried others so I'm not sure where 5 Day falls on the level of intensity compared to others. I'd love some input on how to choose my next DVD to step up the workout. Thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is really hard to say. I’m not sure if you’re looking for long – or short workouts.

Collagevideo.com (new ownership coming soon) used to rate Leslie DVDs beginner, intermediate, advanced. The workouts that got the INT/ADV or ADV label were longer &/or had higher impact.

5 Mega Miles uses a resistance band (while walking) but is lower impact. The band work usually slows things down a bit.

Advanced 5 Mile Walk – this is an oldie – but 1 mile is very fast – 1 mile uses weights (while walking) – 1 uses a resistance band (while walking) – another uses the ab belt (a resistance band works too). This DVD has pre-mixes.

4 Mile Power walk is a higher impact workout. This has 2 premixes…so if you want 2 high impact miles, this is a good one.

Your DVD The 5 Day Walk Plan – the miles slow down a bit at the beginning (because it’s programmable) ....but if you want 4 really fast miles (no chapters…you do the whole workout) - Walk Away the Pounds Super Challenge is 4 straight speedy miles…..no pauses, no slowing down.

Short workouts – Walk Strong is a 2 mile circuit workout. You trade-off between walking & strength training. Nicely designed upper body & lower body together keep your heart rate up the whole time.

Big Burn is another 2 miler….lots of jogging sections. Fast & sweaty.

For any Leslie video….whenever I want to ramp up a workout (I typically only do 2 or 3 miles) I will use light hand weights (1.5 – 2 pounds) throughout. This reminds me to use my arms more & keep my heart rate up. I also add a couple of “boosts” (jogging) segments if the DVD doesn’t have any impact. Videos with a timer clock are great for this.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

I've been doing Leslie's Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan for awhile now and want to try something else. I saw there's something for intermediate/advanced and was wondering if that would be a more intense workout than my current DVD. I haven't tried others so I'm not sure where 5 Day falls on the level of intensity compared to others. I'd love some input on how to choose my next DVD to step up the workout. Thanks!

Hello,
    I got the Belly Blasting Walk dvd and it's pretty intense. You can probably see a few minutes of it on youtube. That's the only "new" one I have.

Teabee's post is a good synopsis.

HTH.
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Teabee, you definitely covered my question and beyond. Sounds like Leslie Sansone has more variety than I thought.
  • cyberlucy
    cyberlucy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favorite of the advanced is the 4 Fast Miles. The pace is 5 mile an hour. Each mile is roughly 12 minutes. It's higher impact definitely but you work up a really good sweat. There is also a cool down and stretch piece.