New here! 5 weeks pregnant!

Options
victoria_1024
victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
Found out a few days ago that I am pregnant with baby #4! This was a surprise, but a happy one. We wanted a 4th baby eventually, but I was trying to reach my weight loss goals first. Well, baby has picked his/her own time so here I am! I am pretty knowledgeable with pregnancy/baby stuff, but I truly have no idea how to be healthy while pregnant! I've always just eaten whatever I wanted (usually tons of junk food) and was pretty inactive. With my oldest son, I gained close to 60 pounds!! With my most recent child, I gained 35, which was a big improvement, because I walked through most of the pregnancy, but still with being really obese 35 was probably too much.

This time around I am going to continue exercising because I am already doing it and I am in good shape. I want to keep that up as long as I can! Is it really ok to continue doing what I am doing, or do I have to do more low impact work-outs? Or should I just follow my body's cues and if I get too tired slow down or stop?

I set my calories to "maintenance" but I figure I'll pay less attention to calories and more attention to eating when I'm hungry. I'm also breastfeeding my 15 month old 3 times a day so I eat extra calories for that as well. Compared to what I was eating before, it seems like I will be eating a LOT more so I have to concentrate on not filling those extra calories with m&ms and ice cream! At least not ALL of them. ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and hope to be able to get some support here through this whole crazy process!

Replies

• Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats! I'm 26weeks pregnant atm, so feel free to add!
    First of all talk to your DR/ midwife as everyone's circumstance are different I was told to avoid high impact and exercises where you lay on your back from 2nd trimester :smile:

You're doing the right thing with calories aim to maintain until the latter half your pregnancy, and of course listen to your body if you're hungry eat!
    Best of luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am 33 weeks. Will send a friend invite.

Eat healthy, drink lots of water, go on plenty of walks and be happy :)

Don't start anything new. If you were a runner before, you can keep running as long as you are feeling up to it. If you were not a runner before - don't start now.

It is so hard to resist all the cravings. Try reading into them a little and substitute them. If you are craving ice cream - try a glass of milk or cottage cheese. If you are craving candy bars - try some dark chocolate and a handful of nuts instead. If you are craving pickles - eat pickles (but watch it. I could tell you a horror story of a friend of mine that went overkill on pickles.)

Beat of luck :)