Hi New Here

Options
ImaWaterBender
ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
Hello, I am Jan and I am mother to six kids, ages 31, 28, 29, 15, 14 and 10. My 14 year old son has mid-functioning classic autism (can talk, self potty, low educational skills) and my 15 year old is an Aspie with ADHD.

I have a LOT to lose in this weight loss battle. I am currently at 273, having started at 287. My ultimate goal is 180, I was healthy at 180 (I am quite tall).

I am a swimmer, although I dislike exercise, but I force myself to drive to a local pool and swim laps for about 35 minutes a day. I also ride an exercise bike, trying to build stamina to ride my real bike sometimes soon. I have low stamina for land exercise.

My worst eating problems are night eating and emotional eating. I am married for the second time and have been for 17 years. It's hard because both of us are out of shape and suffer a lot of aches and pains. I keep trying to get fit and he never does anything and manages to lose weight without even trying. It drives me nuts. So unfair.

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the jungle honey.

I have three aged 18, 17 and 10, my middle is an Aspie.

I am a junk food junkie. I love veggies and will eat them all the time, but junk food...I am weak...WEAK I tell you.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm an Aspie myself, and night and emotional eating have been my biggest hurdles. I love to ride my bike, and I try to do my best to encourage others. Always happy to have a new friends:flowerforyou:
  • nehalenniaa
    Options
    Hi there, I new myself. I have a a lovely 4.5 son with moderate/ severe and he's non-verbal. I am pretty tall myself at 6'1. I adore food, and often find myself depending on it. I'm looking for friends if your interested.
  • Killian_Wargear
    Killian_Wargear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I, too, am new to the group and MFP all to gather. I 287 @the moment and my 10 year old son is high functioning but he has texture issues and is currently 180-190 lbs himself. He likes to play outdoors but loves his Xbox and iPad. That's his thing, gaming. Since he was 2. We limit him to an hour a day after homework and he can earn 15 minutes (large popsicle sticks as currency in 15 minute increments). So he walks on the treadmill as well and practices what little tae Kwan do I have shown him on a 60 or 80 lbs punching bag, can't remember the weight. Anyways we tried to walk together and stuff but I got a new job and work grave yards. This seems to be making it close to impossible to get together and do anything. The closest we come is playing Kinect sports games and that's pretty rare these days too. He a grew kid and a wonderful son but his mother and I are extremely worked about his weight. So is his doctor. Part of the problem is he gets up at all hours of the night and snacks/eats. We've tried everything from alarms in the fridge door to chaining it up. We have had blood work done to see if its do to something else and so far nothing.

So that's where we are now. I'd like to say that I respect the bravery and courage all you parents have. My loving wife, Tara, too. You guys are amazing and strong. Best a luck with your fitness goals everyone.
  • iriesmith
    iriesmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    New to MFP but not new to trying to diet whilst feeling anxious stressed about my beautiful aspie boy x
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Nice to meet you! Have you looked into a VIP soccer league? I signed up my son (7 yrs) and he loves it! Most of the kids have autism on the team. It's an awesome judgment free zone! It's not as demanding as a regular soccer league but my son sure gets a work out! You should look into it if your son would be interested
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My husband is like yours. I do all the work and he benefits from the healthy meals I make.

I started around the weight you are and lost also 50 pounds in 2012. Then I found out I was pregnant and it has been an uphill battle to lose more since my daughter was born. She just turned 2.

I have a 7 year old who is being evaluated for autism and a 9 year old, both boys.