Ab Workouts During Bulking

Options
RaeLB
RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
Did y'all incorporate ab workouts into your routine?

I have rarely focused on my abs - I have no idea what is under my bulk belly lol

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Nope. They bore the ever living **** out of me. Rather spend my time focusing on the tension in my lifts and keeping my core tight. That's all the work they need and I've had abs when cutting so I won't change it. Between abs and calves, I'm usually having to be forced to do those.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- there are a handful of ab things I really enjoy doing- so I do them.

But I rarely have "ab" day. it's a muscle-like my bi's and tri's they need some accessory work to.... so I do them - but they are not a solid fixture in my workouts- more like when I have extra time or the spirit moves me.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Strong Curves so I work abs 3 times a week. It's usually just one or two exercises each time with one set. My core is pretty weak so I actually like doing things like planks, hanging leg raises, and dumbbell side bends. Just started doing landmines and those are fun!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this as well. I do ab work because I have to for aerial, but I'm pretty sure in order to see my abs as much as I'd like, I really need to build them. This is my first year of actual weights, so are the heavy lifts enough to build the muscle I want? The three years of aerial work has definitely made a difference, but not as much as I'd like. It's also quite possible I just need to cut more. :grumble:
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have two abs moves included in my set workouts from my PT - weighted crunches & weighted Russian Twists. I did not have any in my previous programme though.

Right now my abs are screaming for mercy after trying kickboxing on Sunday - great fun but I now HURT in the strangest places! :laugh:
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I only do a couple of ab exercises one one of my split days per week. I have read in many places that good compound exercises like squats deadlifts and presses require your abs to stabilize your body and this is how they strengthen and grow.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I also find them boring so I have no motivation. I know I'm engaging them with my compound squats so I hope that's enough for the results I want - I'm not looking for a lot of definition.

We'll see after this bulk gut goes down :drinker:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I usually do one or two ab moves in addition to the work they get from the compounds. For me, it seems like a strong core helps keep my back feeling better so it's worth it to me to add in the extra work.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I also find them boring so I have no motivation. I know I'm engaging them with my compound squats so I hope that's enough for the results I want - I'm not looking for a lot of definition.

it's often times not enough. I have solid lifts and my core still needs work. I would honestly not rely solely on compounds. You can get a good "enough" work out from them with abs under tension- but I wouldn't say it's an excuse to never do them.

But again- YMMV and you're goals may not really require anything but that bare minimum.
  • RaeLB
    Options

it's often times not enough. I have solid lifts and my core still needs work. I would honestly not rely solely on compounds. You can get a good "enough" work out from them with abs under tension- but I wouldn't say it's an excuse to never do them.

But again- YMMV and you're goals may not really require anything but that bare minimum.

Goddamn you burst my bubble! *grumbles* I will add some ab work tomorrow - what are these ab workouts you "enjoy"?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Goddamn you burst my bubble! *grumbles* I will add some ab work tomorrow - what are these ab workouts you "enjoy"?

well- my word is not gospel- there are lots who ONLY do compounds as ab work- but like I said- YMMV.

That's just how I see it. But I also am a firm believer in ab/back work as a 'couple' (not necessarily the same day- but if you do one- you should do the other).

pallof press
    turn over push up/toe touches
    up down plank (go from elbow to hand and back down again)
    up down plank with a weight drag
    spider drag across the floor
    renegade row or any variation of elevated renegade rows
    russian twists
    hanging leg raises
    floor whipers
    wind shield wiper things (it's a hanging leg raise- but you raise your feet to the top (by your hands) then you drop to the right back to the top- then to the left)
    dragon flags if you every get the saucy
    push up variations (single arm- elevated- single leg etc etc)

I don't "do" sit ups at all. LOL- they are the most over rated inefficient exercise for abs- and boring.
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    The boxing I did on Sun had ways of making them more fun: you lie ready for situps, and your partner stands by/on your feet holding target pads. You then sit up and jab/cross or hook twice depending on where your partner moves the two pads.

I forgot I was doing abs as I was so focused on striking the target. Only the next day did I realise what torture my poor abs had just been through :-)
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Abs & back as a couple makes total sense. I have been so focused on strengthening my crappy back, I didn't even think about how strengthening my abs can help. I'm going to start adding some ab workouts. Thanks!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Nope. They bore the ever living **** out of me. Rather spend my time focusing on the tension in my lifts and keeping my core tight. That's all the work they need and I've had abs when cutting so I won't change it. Between abs and calves, I'm usually having to be forced to do those.

Ditto this ^^^. I do neither abs or calf work. Simply because I find it annoying and boring.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes - beltless front squats, OH squats and deadlifts.

Srs though most people have an overdeveloped front core relative to their back core, so if anything it would be more beneficial to do supplemental back work. But I'm too lazy for that too.
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I also find the back a lot harder to work than abs. OK so there are deadlifts, but apart from doing upper back & lats there is not much in the way of good exercises for the lower back. Hypers are dull, and I never feel they are 'doing' anything. Reckon I would find reverse hypers better, but no way of doing them at my gym that works.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    I also find the back a lot harder to work than abs. OK so there are deadlifts, but apart from doing upper back & lats there is not much in the way of good exercises for the lower back. Hypers are dull, and I never feel they are 'doing' anything. Reckon I would find reverse hypers better, but no way of doing them at my gym that works.

Lol, give barbell Hypers a try. Far from dull and far from feeling like they're not doing anything.
    Good Mornings-While many use for hamstrings, they are a lower back dominant move.
    Reverse Hypers can easily be done with just a bench.

Just a few to throw in there.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    I did hanging leg raises today and I enjoyed them :smile:
  • JoRocka
    Options

Lol, give barbell Hypers a try. Far from dull and far from feeling like they're not doing anything.
    Good Mornings-While many use for hamstrings, they are a lower back dominant move.

oh yeah- good mornings- those I need to do.

I actually stole a move from Jillian Micheals- I'm totally ashamed of myself- but it works great-

face down on the floor- arms straight in front- legs flat on the floor. Lift up with the upper body and the lower body (so you're balanced on your tummy- looking like superman)

when you reach the pinnacle of your lift- draw your elbows down past your ears (like you were doing a pull up) keeping the finger tips pointed 'forward' still- palms down.

Release back to full extension super man lift- then release to the floor.

25 and I'm okay- okay I'm done- enough of that. LOL
  • HMVOL7409
    Options

oh yeah- good mornings- those I need to do.

I actually stole a move from Jillian Micheals- I'm totally ashamed of myself- but it works great-

face down on the floor- arms straight in front- legs flat on the floor. Lift up with the upper body and the lower body (so you're balanced on your tummy- looking like superman)

when you reach the pinnacle of your lift- draw your elbows down past your ears (like you were doing a pull up) keeping the finger tips pointed 'forward' still- palms down.

Release back to full extension super man lift- then release to the floor.

25 and I'm okay- okay I'm done- enough of that. LOL

Ouch. Just Ouch. May have to try....