Working in?

Options
kwaz29
kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
Posted this on the general forum, but realized I may get more helpful answers here! Thanks in advance :)

So I just joined a new gym and I am going to be starting the Stronglifts 5x5 program today, and I am half excited, half nervous. This is not my first time lifting, but I began lifting as part of Crossfit, so I think that lifting by myself is a whole different experience. I am comfortable with the lifts, but worried about lifting on my own in the general gym area instead of the Crossfit room as I did in my old gym. This new gym also only has one power rack, so I'm thinking that I may run into the need to work in to other peoples sets...and I don't know why, but this makes me more nervous than anything else about this new thing I'm trying! Probably the whole being the girl in the weights section, not wanting to make a fool of myself thing...

How does one exactly work in between sets? In my case I'll probably be lifting less than anyone else using the rack, so would I take off all of their weights every time, and then put them back on when I'm done? Is it really that simple? Any other etiquette I should know about?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really is that simple. Consideration should also be given to rest times. If you are on a 3 min rest and they only take 1 min then you may have to let them get two sets in per your one. Personally, I have only ever worked in on Deadlifts and the guy was talking with a buddy most of the time. Our warmup weights were comparable so not a lot of plate switching. For squats I would only work in if there is a long wait for the rack and I'm pressed for time. If not, then I will move onto the next lift or do an accessory lift while I wait for it to open up.