Mixed messages from doctor's office

Options
This has been simmering in the back of my brain for a few days. I had my 8 week followup last week and was told a lot of conflicting information - different from what I was told at the 2 week followup appointment. At the 2 week appointment, I was told that I should start adding non-pureed foods to my diet with the goal of getting 80-100g of protein, 64 oz of water and stay under 1,000 calories in 3 meals + 2 snacks per day (all of which I've done). I even have the paper flyer that was given to me that outlines this and talks about maintenance for life at 1200 calories per day. Then at the visit last week, the same practitioner acted shocked that I was eating SO MUCH and I should not plan to EVER eat more than 800 calories per day for the rest of my life and keep it at 3 meals per day - no snacks. And that I should not ever drink protein shakes or eat protein bars. I couldn't imagine how I got it all so wrong but was assured that I'd probably been picking up conflicting information from the internet so when I found the information from the previous visit, I started to get a little mad about it. While I'm still early in the process and not worried about 800 v. 1000 calories, I am concerned about the conflicting info, the number of meals per day and the ban on protein shakes unless it's an emergency. Also, I can't imagine that 800 calories a day for life is a reasonable thing to do. What do you think? Am I right in thinking I should take some of this with a grain of salt and follow an eating plan that works for me within the paradigm of losing weight - maintaining goal weight / getting adequate protein and nutrition?

Replies

• Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are only 8 weeks out I wouldn't worry about what maintance will look like.
    I don't understand the reason why they have a ban on shakes, honestly I couldn't get in enough protein w/o them the first year.
    Still today almost 2 years out I probly have a shake 3 times a week.
    Personally I would lean toward the 800 calorie plan, just make sure you are getting your protein and fluids and suppliments in before adding veg and starch.

Good Luck, it looks like you are half way to your goal already!!!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with Latse and try not to worry too much about at this point. I am 10 weeks out and just began eating real food a couple weeks ago. I still have protein shakes, make yogurt/fruit smoothies and eat high protein/low carb breakfast bars. My surgeon also told me she wants me to eat at least 5 - 6 small meals/day (3 meals and at least 2 snacks) and not to go over 2-3 hours without eating.

I'm staying right around 800 calories a day with protein at 80+. I never have problems hitting the protein goal, but am going to have to be more careful in the amount of carbs I consume (usually at the top end or higher and this is not good). Always eat/drink protein first and have 8+ glasses of water a day.

If you are losing weight and not experiencing any physical problems, I say keep doing what you're doing. If you are really concerned, I would ask for another bariatric surgeon's advice. My 3 month follow-up with my surgeon is in early May and I'll see what she tells me at that time. However, she has been consistent throughout the process on what needs to be done and when.

Good luck and I agree you are doing GREAT!!!

Karen
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My doctor also gave me conflicting information from what was provided my nutritionalist. My doctor actually told me that I shouldn't eat more than two meals a day and that he'd be fine if I only ate one a day. Needless to say, I followed what my NUT said and it seems to be working well.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I suspect they went to a conference and some new protocols were being promoted/recommended. Weight Loss surgery is still finding its way and trying to optimize weight loss and nutrition for the long term. I did no real pre - op diet other than 2 days of clear liquids. My surgeon had us transition to real food really fast. There had been some problems with pts on liquids for so long that any solids brought on immediate nausea. I quote him saying " You have 10 bites of food and it should take you 30 min to eat it". They recommend protein supplements to reach your protein goals. I find it very hard to eat 80 g of protein in a day without supplements. Trying to eat 12oz of steak in a day would be impossible. At nearing 5 months my meats have to be wet/ground/soft. My calories are set at 750-850 a day until I hit maintenance while avoiding processed carbs. My premier protein 30g protein shakes have been a God send along with Kroger Carbmaster skim milk 11g protein 60 cals a cup. I have lost 79 lbs since 11/20/13. When I get to maintenance I will be at 1100 to 1400 cals a day.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have a handout that says one thing and the dr. saying another I'd take to your next appointment or call your doctor and let him know you're getting conflicting info.