Scale vs Measuring Tape

Options
Ok so this came up again today, so I thought I would write to the group about it. I have a great girl that I am working with, she is struggling with understanding that to get a true gauge on your progress, you need to have measurements AND weight, with the measurement really being the more important of the two numbers. A lot of times we hear that muscle weighs more than fat, but truly, 5 lbs is 5 lbs.. right? BUT, fat takes up more space than muscle, (think of a 1 lb weight, and 1 lb of feathers, same weight but way different amount). So if we never lose 1 lb, but our inches continue to shrink, that is a great indication that we are losing fat and retaining muscle, which is what we want. We jump on that scale every day and believe the number on it like it is gospel, but it is really one of the biggest lies that we are told every day! I had a one girl lose 10 lbs and 40 inches, but just going by the scale alone she was discouraged, but because we had to tape to compare also, it was a huge win for her! That scale is NOT our friend unless we partner it with a measuring tape. So please, please, take your measurements... Hugs..
JoJo

Replies

• dpants89
    dpants89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great post. How often do you think we should measure ourselves? I know we should weigh in once a week... - Bianca
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your right on target! I need to find my measuring tape
  • jojovinnie
    Options
    I believe a once a week measure if fine to do when you weigh.