24-hour ultra marathoners

Options
***ALSO POSTED IN MARATHONERS GROUP, SORRY IF THIS IS POOR FORUM ETIQUETTE, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW IF EVERYONE PLAYED IN BOTH SANDBOXES*** ????????

Has anyone ever participated in one of these events? Somehow I didn't know they existed until today... I mean I know about the big relays like Ragnar, but I didn't know there were solo ultras measured simply by the 24-hour period. If you have experience with 24-hour ultras I would love to hear ALL about them and your experience leading up to them.

Kind of on the same train of thought has anyone ever skipped running a full marathon and run a 24-hour ultra or a 50k? Is it a crazy idea? From what I've found it seems like the training is similar for 26.2 as it is for 50k and I'm feeling like a 24-hour race you obviously could set a goal going in that you'd like to complete 50k or somewhere in that range if you'd never run an ultra or a marathon before...

***Since there have been so many wacky "I'm just going to wing it" and/or unrealistic expectation running posts lately I'd like to be clear that I won't take my interest in the subject any further than just as a research perspective unless I have the proper training time and regime readying me to run such a massive distance.***

Thanks for reading and in advance for any replies!

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a 24-hour race, or a 100-miler (yet...never say never!) but I have done 12-hour races and 50-milers.
    The circuit races I did consisted mostly of a 1km lap that you did over and over and over and over again. You wear a chip and cross a timing mat at every lap. Sounds a bit like a hamster on a wheel, but I enjoyed it. You get a good mix of faster and slower runners, and it is nice to be able to mix with people you generally would not get the chance to. I loved the social side and have made a lot of friends running circuit races. Distance is a great equaliser, I found that a lot of the faster runners slow down a lot at the end of the day.

Mentally you know home-base is right next to the circuit, so there is never that I-am-so-far-from-home-how-am-I-ever-going-to-make-it feeling. You can rest when you want to, although I never take a break of longer than 20 minutes as then I tend to get too stiff. The thing with these circuits is to get a good rhythm going, without going too fast. You have to find that magic pace that you will be able to sustain the whole day.

Other people might differ, but I found it easier to do longer distances on a circuit. You have your safety net and conveniences right next to the circuit. On an ultra you will have to carry what you need (unless there are really good support stations), with a circuit race you just keep everything at your home base next to the circuit.

I set a distance goal for the day. Even though with the races I've done you can stop anytime, once I've reached my goal I usually continue until the time is up.

Training:
    If you are planning to do a 24-hour race, I wouldn't skip longer training runs. Maybe for a 12-hour circuit you could, your distance goal depending and if you space your laps well during the day. But, you would still solid 3-hour runs during your training period. A typical marathon training plan could work if you distance goal is 42-50. If more, then you need to train more.

Normally in my build up to longer races I am on marathon running level about 18-24 weeks before my target race. From that point in time I do a marathon as a training run (not race!), 4-6 weeks later a 50k, 4-6 weeks later another 50-56km long run. It is important to space the long training runs. After the last long training run I will do another two high mileage weeks before tapering for 3-4 weeks. During the entire training period we do 3 hour training runs almost every weekend, and/or back-to-back 2/3 hour runs. It is important to be able to run on tired legs. It is fine balance between running enough but not so much that you get injured.

I have been very lucky that I've had experienced long distance runners as training partners who helped me.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The beauty of any timed race is that you set the goal. You can enter a 24 hour race and just do a 5k and be done with it or try to squeeze in as many miles as possible in the allotted time. Or you can do a marathon, take a nap, then do another marathon. Any way you want to slice and dice it is legit as long as you complete one lap.

Common timed races are 6 hour, 12 hour and 24 hour. Personally I've only done a 12 hour but I'd like to do a 24 hour at some point mostly to get experience running in the wee hours of the night after I've already had many hours of running in my legs.

There is no rule set in stone than says you have to tackle distances sequentially. I have a friend who's jumping from the 50k to the 100k, for example. Personally I wouldn't do it. There were valuable lessons I learned about myself and my body at each distance. And then doing that distance again to refine what I learned. But bum rushing the 100 seems to be what all the cools kids are doing so what do I know.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first 6 hr race. LOL. The options were 6, 12, 24 hrs or 100 miler in 30 hrs or less. I'll be happy with 50k. This race is on a 5k trail loop. Lots of ups & downs, but only 220 ft gain. My intention is to do the 24 hr at Across the Years here in Glendale AZ over New Years 2015. There's many options there, including a 6 day run. Yikes. I'm hoping for 50 miles. Long term, I'm looking at the same race (Across the Years) to do my first 100 miler in Jan 2016. I firmly believe I need lots of miles on these legs in order to cover 100. I currently run about 50 miles per week & I still struggle mentally with the marathon. We have an awesome ultra running community here in Az with Aravaipa Running holding monthly events in the surrounding mountains. I wish I could say that I will run a 100 miler with lots of technical vert, but I may not. The Across the Years race is held on a dirt path that's a little longer than a mile and only slight elevation change. For me, these things take time, mileage, and patience.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Lol... SarahC001 and I are doing a 24 hour run week after next. I've also skipped a full and done a trail 50k race before (never ran trails before that in my life) and managed to not only finish but place 1st overall female. I'm doing a half marathon this weekend which will be much harder than running for ever in my opinion (i.e. 24 hour run). I'm more used to halves though... but my weekly mileage even before I started entering comps was about 70 miles per week. Now it's between 60 - 90. Closer to 60 when I'm trying to taper and closer to 90 when I'm just having fun. I love to run... and run a lot... I don't train to enter comps, I just love running... that's all...

P.S. And I guess this is the sandbox I most play in so congrats on posting in both arenas :-)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm totally geeking out reading these posts!!! Thanks for sharing and for the advice!!! I'm "thinking" about training to complete 50k in 16 of the 24 hours. That's 2 miles/hour. I will not commit without LOTS of training on tired legs. Currently I run about 40-60 miles and recently ran my four fastest miles after running a 16 mile run 2 hours earlier (by more than 1:00/mile). I know 20 miles isn't 50k but it's a start. I'll keep checking back for more inspiration. I'm also trying to find someone to pace, especially during the overnight portion. The race I'm looking at is http://www.geminiadventures.com/24-hours-of-boulder/ and they've been doing it for 10 years so that's a confidence booster too.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to do a 12 hour one, maybe 24. I was signed up for one that was supposed to be on April 5th, but it got cancelled :(.

I did do the 24 Hours of Utah, put on by the same people as the 24 Hours of Boulder that you're thinking of doing, but I just did the 50K. They did a good job, although I was only out there for 6 1/2 hours until I finished. I do like the idea of doing a timed race because then I can stop longer at the aid stations and take my time.

I think if I ever decide to do a 100, I will do a 24 hour race first to give myself that experience of running at night, but in a safer environment.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've never been interested in these timed races, because I don't know if I could handle the monotony. When I look at potential ultras, I'm looking mostly at point-to-point courses or loops, since I'm most interested in the experience of travelling through a place. I'll look at some out-and-backs, if it's something like going up a mountain and then back down.

Reading all y'all's replies is making me reconsider. I think a 24-hour run would be a good training run for a 100-mile race.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had never been interested in timed races either and am definitely drawn to the more adventurous aspects of ultras. That doesn't exactly exist when you are running around in circles like a hamster. That being said they also held a strange fascination for me in that "can't take my eyes off the train wreck" sort of way so I did one. The particular 12 hour I did was a 5k trail loop. It was such an interesting and strange experience that I did it again the follow year and will probably do it again this year. My goal was always to reach 50k and if I continued to feel good go to 50 miles or more which is how things worked out for me.

I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it. Wilderness ultras will always be my preference but I'm glad I kept an open mind about timed races.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm getting here a little late to the game. Yeah, Zekela and I are doing this 24h thing in just over a week. I still have ankle issues so I may be biting off more than I can chew. But for me the goal is just to keep going. I will be doing a 100 miler in August, and I have never run in the middle of the night, on trails, when my body tells me I should be sleeping...training for the night portion of a 100 mile run is the most daunting aspect for me. I can't exactly go out running in the woods by myself all night. I mean, I COULD, but I'm not afraid to admit that the risk to my safety is more than I am willing to take on.

Though in theory I'm not a fan of loops, the 6.2mi loop will allow me access to my drop bag every 10k, so I won't feel like I need a crew. Logistics are just so much easier with a loop course, which is what these timed races are. I can figure out how I am likely to feel 75 miles into my 100 and plan accordingly when the stakes are higher in a few months. (Do I really want to eat another chocolate covered cherry, Zekela?)

And as I'm slogging along at 3am, I can be inspired by my speedy friend. ;)

For the record, last year runners varied in distance between 12.5 and 106.25.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    jturnex: I was interested to read this! I feel the same way about the timed races. I haven't done one and am volunteering at one this weekend since all my running pals are running it. I skipped out on it because I really like being out in the woods, far from my car and my comforts, struggling by myself for some stupid reason! However, I also feel like maybe I need to do one of these just to see. Your post makes me thing that is a good idea!

Good luck Sarah and Zekela!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Kind of on the same train of thought has anyone ever skipped running a full marathon and run a 24-hour ultra or a 50k? Is it a crazy idea? From what I've found it seems like the training is similar for 26.2 as it is for 50k and I'm feeling like a 24-hour race you obviously could set a goal going in that you'd like to complete 50k or somewhere in that range if you'd never run an ultra or a marathon before...

Not crazy at all. I was planning on doing a 50K a couple of month before my full marathon but for some reason North Face decided not to come back to Georgia. I signed up for a 24-hour ultra which will take place one month after my marathon. It's a 5K loop on a trail and I know it's monotonous but several of my running friends will be there and there will be lots of food & good times. I'd like to shoot for 50K and if I feel good I might even go for 50 miles. But I think I'll enjoy the social aspect of it even more.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Not crazy at all. I was planning on doing a 50K a couple of month before my full marathon but for some reason North Face decided not to come back to Georgia. I signed up for a 24-hour ultra which will take place one month after my marathon. It's a 5K loop on a trail and I know it's monotonous but several of my running friends will be there and there will be lots of food & good times. I'd like to shoot for 50K and if I feel good I might even go for 50 miles. But I think I'll enjoy the social aspect of it even more.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm glad someone else thinks I might not be crazy ???? when is your ultra?