Breakfast ideas

Options
sbarella
sbarella Posts: 713 Member
Hey ladies, I need your help :)

Fact 1: I can only get to the gym at 8am, because during lunch break and after 6pm it gets too crowdy and working out takes ages.
Fact 2: I've never been a breakfast lover. I'm never hungry when I wake up and my energy levels are just fine for normal daily activities. Back in my "run like Machete is chasing you" days I could easily run 10k before breakfast.
However, lifting before breakfast turned out to be a big NO since the weights started to get heavier (after the first warmup sets I start to feel light-headed and dizzy), but I'm still trying to figure out what to eat and how much.

I usually wake up at 7am. If I'm at home I can cook whatever I want, eat it around 7:40 then I go to the gym by bike and start working out at 8. If I'm sleeping at my boyfriend, who lives 20km from the gym, I eat something on the bus.
When I'm home I have oatmeal (about 40g) with a tbsp of cocoa and maybe a glass of milk or a piece of fruit. When I have to pack breakfast I pick a couple of granola bars.
Basically I feel great and then I start to crash after I finish my squats.
Should I eat more of the same stuff? Should I add more protein or fat? Should I bring a protein shake to sip on while working out?

I'm open to any suggestion! I'm not restricting any type of food and I'm eating around 1600. I don't like bacon and I will probably go to hell for this, but any other food is fine. :blushing:

Replies

• K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I'm short on time I just grab a piece of fruit and a protein shake.
  • sbarella
    Options
    If I'm short on time I just grab a piece of fruit and a protein shake.

I'll try this. I know it's all about trial and error and personal preferences in the end but I'd love some input. I feel so clueless when it comes to breakfast! :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    My standard breakfast is an egg white sandwich. So....multi-grain English muffin, 2 egg whites, slice of American cheese, slice of bacon, and 1/4 of an avocado.

I scramble then microwave the two eggs. I pre-cook my bacon on Sunday's. This helps save a lot of time and I can get it completely made in 5 min. If I have time, I eat it before leaving for the day and if not, I wrap it in foil and eat it when I get to work. It travels well, isn't too messy and gives a good amount of all 3 macros.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If I'm off to the gym after breakfast my go to is 3 large eggs scrambled with spinach on toast :bigsmile:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I workout at 6am and grab a banana as I'm headed out the door. I can't bring myself to get up any earlier to eat my usual breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon, and cheese so I eat that when I get to work.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have two eggs with a grain free cereal or fruit. I bake my eggs in a muffin tin and refridgerate the rest.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My standard breakfast is an egg white sandwich. So....multi-grain English muffin, 2 egg whites, slice of American cheese, slice of bacon, and 1/4 of an avocado.

I scramble then microwave the two eggs. I pre-cook my bacon on Sunday's. This helps save a lot of time and I can get it completely made in 5 min. If I have time, I eat it before leaving for the day and if not, I wrap it in foil and eat it when I get to work. It travels well, isn't too messy and gives a good amount of all 3 macros.

this is what I do in the morning as well (most of the time)

I am a breakfast person tho and can't function without it...
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    hm, here it´s not very common to cook for breakfast so I usually eat some bread or a bun.

A question to the egg white only eaters (just did my first scrambled egg vegetable cheese mix something - after I saw the calorie difference to whole eggs): what do you do with the yolk? Throwing it away?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You lost me on not liking bacon. Sorry. :ohwell:

ETA- Eat the whole egg.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    ehm, what? You mean me? I like bacon a lot actually.

I just said, in germany we usually don´t cook for breakfast - on the weekends maybe (scrambles eggs with bacon or so, but pancakes we eat as lunch e.g. :-D), but during the week nope.
  • randomtai
    Options
    ehm, what? You mean me? I like bacon a lot actually.

I just said, in germany we usually don´t cook for breakfast - on the weekends maybe (scrambles eggs with bacon or so, but pancakes we eat as lunch e.g. :-D), but during the week nope.

The OP... I would have quoted you if it was you. :laugh:
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    asoooooo :-D
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you can stomach some food before the workout you can eat whatever you have on hand, really. I find the only thing I can have before I workout is a toast with honey and PB and MAYBE a banana.

I go in at 6AM, so it's rare I really have to eat breakfast. I do eat my last meal of the day around 7:45 PM and it's usually something like cottage cheese with protein powder with lots of fruit and some peanut butter or nuts. That holds me through my AM workout just fine. So that's something you could have in the AM too.

If you're not really hungry but get dizzy, maybe BCAAs could help you out. People are divided on it but I do find it helps me get through the more grueling workouts even if I'm hungry, lol.
  • sbarella
    Options
    You lost me on not liking bacon. Sorry. :ohwell:

ETA- Eat the whole egg.
    Sorry! I know it's weird :laugh:
    Thanks everyone for the ideas ;) I'll try everything, starting with eggs&cheese! (I eat the whole egg, by the way... I usually struggle to get all my fats so it would be stupid not to)
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have been on a smoothie kick this week. Canned fruit, container of Greek yogurt, scoop of protein powder, a little ice & some water + immersion blender = awesome.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Re- Egg whites, yes, i throw out the yolk. Wasteful, I know, but I like to reserve my fat for other parts of the day and I get a good amount from the avocado anyway and I actually prefer the flavor balance better without the yolk. It isn't that I don't like or am afraid to eat the yolk, just for my samich, I find I prefer just the whites. Breakfast on the weekend that has eggs will be a full scrambled egg or omelet, yolk and all.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Re- Egg whites, yes, i throw out the yolk. Wasteful, I know, but I like to reserve my fat for other parts of the day and I get a good amount from the avocado anyway and I actually prefer the flavor balance better without the yolk. It isn't that I don't like or am afraid to eat the yolk, just for my samich, I find I prefer just the whites. Breakfast on the weekend that has eggs will be a full scrambled egg or omelet, yolk and all.

Ok I'll give you a pass for that :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    For those who dont like to cook for breakfast... Hard boiled egg made in advance is what works for me...
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    two eggs scrambled with a lot of greens, usually I have bag of defrosted spinach or kale in the fridge to make it faster.

If I am not up for cooking, full fat plain greek yogurt with black-strap molasses is my most favorite thing in the world and is super satisfying and protein-fat-riffic.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If I do not eat very protein rich breakfast like 40-50 g I end up being hungry all day , and binge or foraging all day long :(

My best breakfast are :
    #1: 3 eggs + 4 slice deli chicken breast + 30-45 g cheese+veggies+ some fruit. This is ~500-550 calories and 45-50 g protein
    #1B; 3 eggs, breakfast sausage + veggies+ some fruit. this is 50 g protein 550-600 calories.
    #2: ~ 1 cup homemade cottage cheese cream includes: from 200-225 g dry cottage cheese, 2-4 tbsp sour cream, salt, paprika, diced onion.I use the cottage cheese cream like a big bowl of dipping cream and I eat a bunch of baby carrots, cucumber , or celery sticks, pepper slices etc with it. The cottage cheese is about 30-35 g protein, so I usually add 4-6 slice of precooked bacon for this breakfast to get to the 45-50 g protein.
    #3 ; this is my quick breakfast: 3-4-5 cheese stick + 4-6-8 precooked bacon a fruit like banana or apple.

I usually buy precooked bacon from Costco, because it is convinient.
    I eat full eggs, because i do not eat any grain/ wheat so the calories that people use on bread/toast I exchange for the yolk. Omega 3 is good for the brain ;)
    Most people I know that eats eggwhites only do not throw out the yolk,. They donot use full egss, but buy eggwhites in a jar. Like simply eggwhites brand from Costco. It is just cheaper and more convenient that way.